+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoying football language

Annoying football language

I get more and more annoyed by weird use of language by people describing football. One fashionable but really odd usage is “cute”: “He had a strong first half, unsettling England with a stream of cute passes.” In what way can a pass be “cute”?

Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    I get more and more annoyed by weird use of language by people describing football. One fashionable but really odd usage is “cute”: “He had a strong first half, unsettling England with a stream of cute passes.” In what way can a pass be “cute”?

''Cute'' can mean ''clever'', ''shrewd''. As in a shortened form of ''acute'' meaning ''astute''?

cute (kyut)

adj. cut•er, cut•est,
    adv. adj.
    1. attractive, esp. in a dainty way; pleasingly pretty.
    2. charmingly attractive.
    3. affectedly pretty or clever; precious.
    4. mentally keen; clever; shrewd.

Although the word is cute is now used to describe someone or something pretty, it’s original meaning is clever. It’s still used here in Ireland. We also have a term for a clever but devious person - “a cure hoor”

"At this level" for internationals as if it's the highest standard in football, which it most certainly isn't in the majority of cases. Many international sides are 2nd tier (Championship) standard or less. The top European Champions League sides would beat any international side most of the time.

Or commentators pronouncing players name wrong, last night both of them were saying Brathwaite not Braithwaite for the Ukraine player.
    Ally McCoist saying "It Really Was" after every decent shot or tackle

Personally I hate it when they say someone "won" a free kick.

One of the teams wanted it more. I don’t believe any team goes onto the pitch without wanting to win even if they play like they don’t.

Please tell me how football can be 's e x y'. Playing without shorts on?

I'll offer 'up top'
    Funny how people who have said 'up front' all their lives start saying 'up top' because they heard someone else say it...
    Kind of how Ron Atkinson slipped 'early doors' into the English language

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    Personally I hate it when they say someone "won" a free kick.
    Likewise, what they really should say is "he got away with cheating" but it seems that this is an excepted part of the game now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast