+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cheating clubs let off with a slapped wrist

Cheating clubs let off with a slapped wrist

Derby County have accepted a suspended 3-point deduction while Sheffield Wednesday have accepted a suspended 6-points deduction.

The EFL has sanctioned both clubs for failure to pay their players.

Derby’s punishment will be activated if the club fail to pay their players before June 30, 2022.

Sheffield Wednesday’s sanction will be implemented if the club do not pay in full the arrears owed to the players on or before July 5, 2021 and/or they fail to pay their players before June 30, 2022.

If Wednesday pay its players up until December 31, 2021, the sanction will be reduced to a suspended 3-point deduction.

What has been said?
    The decision for Derby read: “A suspended 3-point deduction to be immediately activated in the event that the Club breaches Regulation 63.7 (failure to adhere to the terms and conditions of an employment contract) on or before 30 June 2022.”

As for Sheffield Wednesday, the statement read: “1. A suspended 6-point deduction to be immediately activated in the event that:

i. the Club fails to ensure that all arrears currently owed to the Club’s Players are paid in full on or before the 5 July 2021; and/or

ii. the Club breaches Regulation 63.7 (failure to adhere to terms and conditions of an employment contract) on or before 30 June 2022

“Provided that the Club has not (whether by act or omission, intentionally or otherwise) failed to pay its Players again on or before 31 December 2021, from 1 January 2022 the sanction will be reduced from a suspended 6-point sanction to a suspended 3-point deduction which, for the avoidance of doubt, shall be immediately activated in the event that the Club breaches Regulation 63.7 on or before 30 June 2022.”

Why have they agreed to a punishment?
    In December 2020, Derby County failed to pay their players according to the agreement between the club and its players.

Sheffield Wednesday, meanwhile, failed to pay their players in March 2021, April 2021, May 2021 and June 2021.

Both clubs were consequently charged with misconduct under the EFL regulations.

Pathetic

A good weekend to bury this kind of news.

Cheats do prosper in modern football.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    A good weekend to bury this kind of news.

Cheats do prosper in modern football.
    You'll have to remind me how they've prospered , one is in league one and the other escaped by the skin of their teeth .

I wouldn't give you two bob for either of their squads personally .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You'll have to remind me how they've prospered , one is in league one and the other escaped by the skin of their teeth .

I wouldn't give you two bob for either of their squads personally .
    Well they’ve succeeded in breaking rules without getting a meaningful punishment !

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Well they’ve succeeded in breaking rules without getting a meaningful punishment !
    I take yours and SB's view , my point was they have squandered millions and millions of pounds of money they don't have and despite the lack of meaningful punishment it's one hell of a long way back from their current positions .

The EFL are utter bottle jobs but we known that for years so it's hardly a surprise .

The real joy for me and possibly the only joy available is to see them both crippled by their financial shenanigans and struggle their tyts off to come back from it .

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    In this case Sheffield Wed have got off lightly but their 6 point deduction for previous rule breaking ultimately sent them darn to lg1. Without the 6 point deduction they'd have survived in the championship.

Could I also add that they deserved to be relegated.