+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Mariner has died

Paul Mariner has died

Aged just 68.

I was lucky enough to see him play v St Etiene, when Ipswich beat them 4 - 1. What a night that was.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Aged just 68.

I was lucky enough to see him play v St Etiene, when Ipswich beat them 4 - 1. What a night that was.
    Good player for Ipswich and his National team, Died after a short battle with brain cancer,.

R.I.P Paul.

Awful news
    A real stylish classy man both on and off the pitch
    RIP Paul

He scored for Plymouth against us shortly before his move to Ipswich when we won 2-1 at Home Park in August 1976.

He then scored in each of Ipswich's three wins at Meadow Lane during the 1981-1984 top flight run. I got to see him play alongside Ipswich legends Paul Cooper, John Wark, Terry Butcher, Russell Osman, Eric Gates and George Burley to knock Notts off 1st place!

RIP

Without being smart, does the brain cancer have any link to him being a ball heading centre forward?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Without being smart, does the brain cancer have any link to him being a ball heading centre forward?
    If he had suffered brain damage there might be a link, not sure if cancer can be caused by impact injuries/damage? I could be wrong.

Anyway, another great of the English game leaves us, as others have said, I’m fortunate enough to have seen him at Meadow Lane in the early eland of course he provided many great moments for MOTD. RIP.

Very sad. A very talented player who later contributed a lot to the growth of American 'soccer' as a coach and manager. RIP.

RIP PaulThanks for some great memories. 🙏🙏

When he played at meadow Lane early 80’s (prob the 6-0 / 6-1 game) I remember him coming out of the ramshackle of the players bar under the main stand and asking me if there was anywhere better to get a beer…. Bearing in mind I was 12/13 at the time !!!

My wife did some of her Mental Health training at Fulbourn in the early 80’s so apart from watching Cambridge vs anyone from these parts we were lucky enough to be at Portman Road to see the great Ipswich side of that era - Mariner included - beat Aris Salonica by 4 or 5. A great night of European football. I’ve tried to explain to my son how good that Ipswich side were but I don’t think he gets it ��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast