+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hughes

Lee Hughes

Former Notts County star Lee Hughes retired aged 44 last year, having joined Nuneaton on a free transfer in March 2020.

The Covid-19 pandemic meant Hughes never had a farewell game but the striker is putting plans in place to return to the pitch one final time.

In a social media post, he said: “Everyone knows due to corona I never had a final game to retire on…

“I’m going to try and organise a retirement game and I’ve asked Notts County if I could have their pitch and have the Notts County team when we won the league to play against all-star West Brom team and celebrities such as George Burley.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...ty-wba-5692131

I certainly won't be going,I've got the same respect for his actions that I have for Joey Bartons

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I certainly won't be going,I've got the same respect for his actions that I have for Joey Bartons
    You will not be missed I suspect.

My guess would be that the owners will come up with a plausible logistical reason why 'unfortunately' this won't be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    My guess would be that the owners will come up with a plausible logistical reason why 'unfortunately' this won't be possible.
    Possibly, but we signed him with a full knowledge of his past and he was a good servant to the club. Soooooo, in a way, it's a bit of a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Possibly, but we signed him with a full knowledge of his past and he was a good servant to the club. Soooooo, in a way, it's a bit of a shame.
    But we had different owners then. I can't see our current owners agreeing to it somehow.

I can't see Kasper or Sol turning up for it, anyway how arrogant do you have to be to organise your own retirement bash with all stars and celebs?

I would sooner forget that season if the truth be told

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I can't see Kasper or Sol turning up for it, anyway how arrogant do you have to be to organise your own retirement bash with all stars and celebs?
    If it happens, I suspect it will be in aid of charity rather than Lee Hughes.

I would be happy to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If it happens, I suspect it will be in aid of charity rather than Lee Hughes.

I would be happy to attend.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    But we had different owners then. I can't see our current owners agreeing to it somehow.
    Different owners, different manager, different players. One thing hasn't changed though, we're still the same club. The same club that Lee Hughes played for and scored a shedload of goals for and for some of that time as our player, he spent (voluntarily) taking a lesser wage as the club was brassic. As I said, it would be a shame not to grant him such a small favour but I would understand if our present owners declined.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast