+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free bus travel for under 22 year olds

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    Great news for those with young families and fowk at uni, college etc.
    Starts next year.
    Does that mean they’ll get a bus to pick up a MacDonald’s instead of getting it delivered?

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    I went to Edinburgh to do my Degree, for the most part was totally skint and at times never thought i could afford to go. Free travel would have been a great help.

When i was younger than that my mum, two sisters and me shared a room in Douglas for 5 years. Again, free travel would have been a right help, maybe even for days out.

We got to do whatever we can to get some of these kids out of poverty into the working world so they can in turn pay more taxes and provide things like the NHS where they're supposed to be.
    Agree totally. I know plenty families scrapping for doh to send their kids to edin and glas uni, gonna be in the same position myself. Might even be able to commute rather than another accommodation to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Freedom of movement will do nothing to alleviate child poverty. People can move freely (or should be able to) regardless of living conditions.

I'm not accepting that 31% of children in Dundee live in poverty; for that to be the case the definition of poverty has to be very loose because I'm pretty sure the vast majority of children in Dundee have mobile phones and / or games consoles. That's certainly the impression I get simply by observing and based on no real information.

I also read a report (https://www.gov.scot/publications/sc...port/pages/62/) that stated 70% of Scottish children aged 2 to 15 were of a healthy weight whilst as many as 16% were obese or in danger of becoming obese (https://www.obesityactionscotland.or...20since%202016.) - that doesn't say poverty to me and I don't see Dundee being too different from the rest of the country.
    Are you based in Dundee?

2,000 children in Dundee last year could not afford to do PE at school because the government decided it had to be outdoors, then sent the kids home with a list of things they needed including waterproof jackets. it also included many other things. 2,000 couldn't afford the things on the list and they were only the ones who said so. It was 2020 ffs.
    Councillor Lynne Short did a great job trying to help them.

4,500 people were being supported every week by one foodbank. There were 27 food groups set up in Dundee last year.

And yes you're right, the majority do have the things you're talking about but the others, well the fact is they are ****ing hungry.

This is an old report now.....worth reading

https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/sites/...fairness_0.pdf
    Last edited by hmac; 28-07-2021 at 02:42 PM.

I'm happy for everyone else to contribute as well.

Be better if pensioners got free taxis.

Quote Originally Posted by Oor Wullie View Post
    Be better if pensioners got free taxis.
    Junkie pensioners do

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    OAPs have paid their taxes throughout the whole of their working life and now have a reduced income hence the reason for free bus travel in Scotland.
    The Barnett Formula is paying for this new free travel for under 22’s who better hope that Scotland remains part of the U.K. otherwise this free bus travel will likely end.
    It’s not OAP’s it’s over 60’s, so folk in full time employment receive it, not all OAP’s have paid tax, a lay about is a lay about until they hit 67 then get referred to as an OAP

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    It’s not OAP’s it’s over 60’s, so folk in full time employment receive it, not all OAP’s have paid tax, a lay about is a lay about until they hit 67 then get referred to as an OAP
    Thought Ross was your mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I'm happy for everyone else to contribute as well.
    Bet you are

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Bet you are
    😁

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)