+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the Knee

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    I apologise for starting a new thread, when there is already one covering this topic.
    In reply to mattpie and his patronising dig at me, I have no insecurities or opposition to racial justice, but just feel 'Taking the Knee', is not the way to eradicate racism. Any gesture linked to the BLM organisation is diversive in my opinion, and is the reason for the booing at football matches.
    I like LaughingMagpies idea of linking arms, which is a better way of uniting people of all colours and creeds. Even spectators could take part in this.
    I didn't have to be referring to you!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I don’t mind if they do, or don’t. The only problem is that if some people don’t want to take the knee then are they against racial equality? There’s a risk it could ironically become more divisive than uniting.
    This. I don't care if they do or not as it's upto them and nothing wrong with highlighting racism. I do think though that there'll be players doing it who don't want to anymore but don't want alot of hate online which is wrong. Let people do as they please as long as you're not hurting anyone.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 04-08-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    This. I don't care if they do or not as it's upto them and nothing wrong with highlighting racism. I do think though that they'll be players doing it who don't want to anymore but don't want alot of hate online which is wrong. Let people do as they please as long as you're not hurting anyone.
    ^^^
    This

QPR had the stance last season, when they stopped doing it, that it had lost it's affect and teams were only doing it because it was the thing to do. It does seem to be getting that way because they did it throughout last season then England did it throughout the Euro's and what has it achieved? Three England players were racially abused after the tournament that should have been seen as a pretty big success and took up all the attention.

I think things like social media boycott's are more likely to do something but at the end of the day those companies know they don't really need to do anything about it and the stars will always come back to their platforms to promote themselves. The only way to create change these days is by hitting people in the pocket, if they start to think they'll be financially affected they might pull a finger out.

I don't watch Premier League football so doesn't bother me what they do.

Ah, yet another “I’m not racist, but...” fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    QPR had the stance last season, when they stopped doing it, that it had lost it's affect and teams were only doing it because it was the thing to do. It does seem to be getting that way because they did it throughout last season then England did it throughout the Euro's and what has it achieved? Three England players were racially abused after the tournament that should have been seen as a pretty big success and took up all the attention.

I think things like social media boycott's are more likely to do something but at the end of the day those companies know they don't really need to do anything about it and the stars will always come back to their platforms to promote themselves. The only way to create change these days is by hitting people in the pocket, if they start to think they'll be financially affected they might pull a finger out.
    I agree with this. I could be wrong but the majority of racist abuse is online in the UK (and it's not an excuse but during the euros, research showed a lot came from Russian troll farms).

What is taking the knee actually doing? It's not stopping abuse so why bother with it? I'd personally like to see real action being taken. How about if all the blue ticks on twitter deleted their accounts? Most of twitter's traffic is driven by "blue ticks", they won't do that though because they'd lose money from it and that is the sad fact of life now, money rules

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    I’ve seen a few takes on this, but suggesting an anti racism gesture should be stopped because of racism is a new one on me.

If players and clubs feel it’s appropriate to continue to take a knee then they should be supported wholeheartedly in doing so, like the England team were during the Euros.

I hope no one boos it at Notts, but my hopes aren’t high.

So we are not allowed to boo something we disagree with. I prefer racism to thought control.

I'll be interested to see who around me feels strongly enough and disagrees with the gesture to the point that they choose to loudly boo prior to kick off.

A little social experiment/snapshot to kick off the new season. Marvellous

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast