+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 306 of 349 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307308316 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,060 of 3482

Thread: Todays games.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Or they get an injury to one of their own players so they go out straight away and get in a replacement immediately. In other words read Oldco/Jonathon Johannson/Billy Dodds Dec 1999. Ar*e fell out of our season immediately and was even worse than any transfer window (even worse than THAT 2015 window if that's even possible).
    I don't know, we didn't get relegated as a direct result of Billy Dodds departure. Not far away, but we managed to survive. Letting those two go in 2015 and then not finding able replacements lead directly to our relegation the following season, in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, the fun rocked up to Tannadice just after Dodds left, thinking they would turn us over now that our talisman was gone, but we still beat them.

Think it was worse in 2015 in certain ways, we were a better side than we were in 1999, we'd have had a chance in a cup final upcoming (our second domestic final in a row) and 2nd place with no Rangers there, we only won 3 league games the rest of the season and dropped from a definite top 3 finish at worst, to 5th with a poor record in the end of course we got relegated the next season due to some poor transfer business (goalkeeper etc)

However the one in late 99 wasny far off, yes we snuck a win against a poor fun side in December (not deserved on the night but they didnt deserve to win the one the year before with grady scoring) however the calendar year of 2000 is the worst in our history, we won 3 league games the entire calendar year, if it wasn't for having the 3rd best record both the first half of 1999/2000 season and the second half of 2000/2001 we'd have definitely went down, the way we turned it round in 2000/01 when 9 adrift one Charlie Miller, Lilley and Co signed under Alex Smith was excellent, literally from the first game of 2001 we went on a run, then won our final 4 post split games, no one will ever forget that day in perth may 2001 who was there, we also beat rangers home and away, home in the cup quarter final before losing 3-1 at Hampden to that Celtic side under oneill (the 6000 or so Arabs at Hampden that day made some noise)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I think you have forgotten the good old days though,if a diddy club player ran the Old Firm team ragged on Saturday he was on their bench the following week.That's the way it used to work as i remember.
    Then again when Tommy McLean became manager he went and signed Erik, Kjell, Lars and Sieb. Kirkwood got us up but instead of continuing with the attacking football for some reason he thought he had to tone it down and that led to him getting punted. McLean did a bit of scouting when he was out of work and got Pedersen, Olofsson and Zetterlund in pretty quickly. Would we have had the season we did then if we couldn't have signed them if Transfer Windows were around? I can see both points in the argument though.

Regarding Billy Dodds leaving we got good money for him but did Sturrock have a good scouting network to replace him? Just reading what Levein is saying about the new striker he has signed at St Johnstone. Has to look at a different market than the one he did at Hearts. That market got him the sack imo. Spending money on supposedly better players hasn't worked out well. Mathie and Watt are two at United imo. We picked up Ciftci for next to nothing and he did very well at United. On the Ciftci point though we had a good team around him which allowed him to flourish.

Unrelated to a specific games but don't think replays should have been ditched (and not just because we'd likely still be in the cup this year) , takes away from the Scottish Cup, one of the things that sets the big cup apart, was fine during covid but not now, I doubt some of our most memorable cup days would have taken place in the current format, not sure me, replays good enough for fa cup, good enough for Scottish

The Scottish cup showing that there ain't a huge gap between bottom 6 of the SPL and the top 6 of the Championship.

In one off games certainly agree

Livi 1-1 Raith
    County 0-3 Partick
    Airdrie 1-0 Perth

That's Raith now 1 win in 6 with 3 defeats on the trot. They previously won 7 in a row.

114 years and counting

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    That's Raith now 1 win in 6 with 3 defeats on the trot. They previously won 7 in a row.

Wanted them to win so fixtures built up tbh, hopefully though affects them

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Wanted them to win so fixtures built up tbh, hopefully though affects them
    Yeah, I couldn’t decide which was the better outcome for us - win for Raith gives them a busy schedule but beating a premiership side might give them a lift. Defeat for them keeps up their dodgy run of form but puts their focus solely on league business.

Page 306 of 349 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307308316 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)