+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Sad News From Plymouth

O/T:- Sad News From Plymouth

BBC News - Plymouth shooting: Multiple fatalities in Keyham
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58195419
    Last edited by SwalePie; 12-08-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    BBC News - Plymouth shooting: Multiple fatalities in Keyham
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58195419
    Daughter just spent 7 years in Plymouth, I love it down there, it’s not particularly affluent but generally the locals always seemed very friendly. Either way, no matter where this took place it’s just horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Daughter just spent 7 years in Plymouth, I love it down there, it’s not particularly affluent but generally the locals always seemed very friendly. Either way, no matter where this took place it’s just horrific.
    I studied at Plymouth in the 1980s, lovely part of the world with Dartmoor on one side and Cornwall on the other. That neighbourhood where the shooting took place is a bit bleak, though - not far from the old naval yard. I used to live near one of my favourite place names: Muttley, which is impossible to say without thinking of a sniggering dog. The local greeting of “All right my lover” took some getting used to, though.

Anyway, apologies for going off on a tangent at such a sad piece of news. A tragic incident, and sobering to think that shootings like this happen pretty much every day in America.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I studied at Plymouth in the 1980s, lovely part of the world with Dartmoor on one side and Cornwall on the other. That neighbourhood where the shooting took place is a bit bleak, though - not far from the old naval yard. I used to live near one of my favourite place names: Muttley, which is impossible to say without thinking of a sniggering dog. The local greeting of “All right my lover” took some getting used to, though.

Anyway, apologies for going off on a tangent at such a sad piece of news. A tragic incident, and sobering to think that shootings like this happen pretty much every day in America.
    Yep, I know exactly where you mean. In fact my daughter bought her first house very close to Mutley, in between the fire station and Freedom Park. It takes a while to get used to the "Janners" but on the whole they are a decent bunch.

I spent 18 years living across the border in Cornwall. Plymouth had a right issue with drugs for years mainly due to the lack of work although you can say that about a lot of places these days. St Austell (St Awful) in Cornwall was even worse, dreadful.

The mental health of people has been stretched to limit by the C19 lockdowns and this looks like a the limit was reached, very sad.

Yep, I know exactly where you mean. In fact my daughter bought her first house very close to Mutley, in between the fire station and Freedom Park. It takes a while to get used to the "Janners" but on the whole they are a decent bunch.
    I was just north of Mutley, in Mannamead (lovely neighbourhood). Many great memories of the city and locals, I really must go back some day to see how it’s changed. Definitely preferable to Portsmouth, where I also lived for a few years, but found a pretty charmless place.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I was just north of Mutley, in Mannamead (lovely neighbourhood). Many great memories of the city and locals, I really must go back some day to see how it’s changed. Definitely preferable to Portsmouth, where I also lived for a few years, but found a pretty charmless place.
    The Barbican has had a massive face lift.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    I spent 18 years living across the border in Cornwall. Plymouth had a right issue with drugs for years mainly due to the lack of work although you can say that about a lot of places these days. St Austell (St Awful) in Cornwall was even worse, dreadful.

The mental health of people has been stretched to limit by the C19 lockdowns and this looks like a the limit was reached, very sad.
    My sister has just moved back to the Midlands after several years living in and around the St Austell area, she pretty much said the same.

Regarding the mental health, drugs and alcohol problems in the city they are still as bad. My daughter has had first hand experience of this as she has been facilitating group therapy session for all types of vulnerable people in the area. Also as a theatre director she had a company called Fast & Funny and she actually went out and invited a wide range of society to put on a comedy sketch show with her. She had drug users and dealers, homeless, alcoholics, immigrants, the infirm and those with mental health issues. It actually had a massive affect on many lives in the area and one of the recovering drug users ended up with a job at the theatre as well. She's moved to Bristol now but the work and issues are the same.

The latest developments in this tragic case are beyond bizarre, who had heard of an 'Incel culture' before? Certainly not me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast