+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: It's ooooor oil

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    Continuous fast charging can decrease your battery life, but battery technology is changing all the time, there are now pulse chargers which are proportional to the charging percentage, thus increasing battery life.
    Even the battery types are changing, think the latest is graphite batteries, which will help to extend battery type.
    The big question still remains, how do we dispose of the depleted batteries ?
    True but most charging is at home on 7kw to 80%. Fast charging rarely necessary

Continuous fast charging can decrease your battery life, but battery technology is changing all the time, there are now pulse chargers which are proportional to the charging percentage, thus increasing battery life.
    Even the battery types are changing, think the latest is graphite batteries, which will help to extend battery type.
    Batteries can be recycled, the company I work for has been doing this since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    But that's kinda what amazed me that a "govt" backed scheme were more than happy to give me a new gas boiler and 7 radiators.....ok it's a much more efficient boiler and replaces an 18 year old one (was still working perfectly ok) but with all this stuff on the telly and papers I honestly thought they wouldn't replace like for like.

And how many more folk will be getting the same, speaking to the surveyor and plumbers it seemed like it was pretty common.
    This scheme is nothing new.
    Abiut ten years ago my father received the same deal providing he was over 70 years of age which he was.
    My father had to pay for an extra radiator as he had eight radiators in his house.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    I have a full electric car, the new 150kw chargers can get it from empty to full in half an hour. The chargers and network aren’t bad in Scotland but maintainence and making sure they are on is a disaster.
    There is other problems with electric cars.
    They are a lot heavier due to the increased weight of the batteries in the cars.
    The car manufacturers advertise the range of the cars but that is in ideal driving conditions.
    Last October we took a taxi to the Ship Inn for a meal. Out taxi was an full electric car. I asked the taxi driver what sort of range he got on a full charge. He told me that he was able to drive further on a full charge in the summer months than in the winter months.
    The reason is that in the winter months the headlights have to be used and the heater in the car is on both of which drain the batteries in the electric car.
    However the electric car manufacturers are never going to mention this as they are determined to sell their electric cars come what may!

There does not seem to be any standard regarding, onboard chargers and fast chargers, although I haven't done much research into battery technology.
    In my opinion, car manufacturers have gone the wrong way, it should have been hydrogen.
    You can charge a car with hydrogen in about 15 mins.
    Tesla made rapidad advances in battery technology and were first into the market, as a result all the main car manufacturers panicked, and started producing electric vechicles.
    The batteries have a low resistance, and need to be charged with a constant current charger.
    My friend in Manchester, (ex sparkie) is considering buying an electric car, I will see if he has any info .
    What happens when a hydrogen fuelled car is in a road accident and its hydrogen tank explodes. If it is in a built up area it is liable to cause severe damage to nearby buildings.

My taxi driver told me that his electric car was now three years old and the range he was getting on a full charge had reduced by 20 miles less compared to when his electric car was brand new. He told me that he is planning to change his car after four years.
    Whoever purchases a second hand four year old electric car is going to get a reduced number of miles per charge with the big problem being when the batteries in the electric cars having to be replaced as they are clapped out. That is going to be very expensive compared to the value of the car and probably not worth the cost.
    In ten years time scrapyards are likely to be full of electric cars because it was too expensive to purchase new batteries to power the car.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    True but most charging is at home on 7kw to 80%. Fast charging rarely necessary
    How are people who live in flats going to charge their electric vehicles at home.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    How are people who live in flats going to charge their electric vehicles at home.
    No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    Batteries can be recycled, the company I work for has been doing this since 2006.
    Interested to learn this. Is there a form of payment received when you trade in your car battery? Just wondered if there might be something like a second hand market for car batteries. New battery £3000 cash, with trade in £2000?

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Interested to learn this. Is there a form of payment received when you trade in your car battery? Just wondered if there might be something like a second hand market for car batteries. New battery £3000 cash, with trade in £2000?
    Couldn't tell you about that aspect of it, we take valuable metals from the old battery and convert it so it can be reused in new recharchable battery.
    Not just cars tho, laptops ebikes, phones etc.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)