+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It's ooooor oil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Mudskipper, thanks for your comments. I have been looking at some Net Zero Carbon websites and I can't get away from the feeling that this whole initiative is some kind of confidence trick. There was a table where the payback of the investment via annual savings that was just crazy. Some improvements just didn't justify the expenditure. The bit that struck me was why would you look at savings in terms of cash instead of how much carbon you might be saving.
    Saving carbon is not going to pay the bills but saving money will.
    You are correct that this Net Zero Carbon is just a con.
    I can remember when environmentalists were panicking about the hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica but that seems to have been quietly forgotten about as has acid rain which was killing trees in the U.K. including Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I can remember when environmentalists were panicking about the hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica but that seems to have been quietly forgotten about as has acid rain which was killing trees in the U.K. including Scotland.
    Do energy bills charge the same amount for the amount of carbon that they create to provide the power. For example does a kilowatt hour of gas heating make as much carbon as a kilowatt hour of electricity? If there is a difference, and it seems logical to me that there will be why not look at replacing the sources of energy that generate the highest carbon output. That's why nuclear power would be best.
    , I think!

Do energy bills charge the same amount for the amount of carbon that they create to provide the power. For example does a kilowatt hour of gas heating make as much carbon as a kilowatt hour of electricity? If there is a difference, and it seems logical to me that there will be why not look at replacing the sources of energy that generate the highest carbon output. That's why nuclear power would be best.
    , I think!
    They are variable ,seem to lumped together now that most energy is from renewables,or at least they claim to be ,agree regards nuclear energy the actual concept is very simple and safe until we crack cold fusion….!!!

, I think!
    I am sorry but I cannot answer your question. I know one thing that gas central heating is far superior to oil fired central heating. Another problem with oil fired central heating is that you have to keep checking your oil tank to make sure that is does not run empty which is not a problem with gas fired central heating.
    A former golfing friend on Islay used to work in the management side of British Nuclear Fuels.
    He told me that a pebble bed nuclear reactor with non nuclear buildings had been developed in from memory South Africa which was suitable for places with a small population.
    At the time I was a member of the Islay Energy Trust steering group
    At the next meeting I suggested that Islay Energy Trust could install a pebble bed nuclear reactor with non nuclear buildings situated behind Bowmore which is situated in the centre of Islay.
    The female secretary of the Islay Energy Trust steering group just about ‘laid an egg’ when I put forward my perfectly possible suggestion.
    This is the problem that we are up against. Nuclear power has an unnecessary bad press because people wrongly associate nuclear power generation with the nuclear bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    If we don’t start saving carbon there will be very little to buy with the money.

We need to do better simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    If we don’t start saving carbon there will be very little to buy with the money.

We need to do better simple as that.
    Exactly. Why publicise money saving if there might be a much bigger carbon saving scheme for the same money?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)