+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth - predictions anyone?

Portsmouth - predictions anyone?

Must admit fearing the worst. It was going to be a hard slog against Pompey without losing
    Lowery and Kirk, never mind those others who left in the summer. At least we've got a CH in
    to replace the accountant. Hopefully the gossip about Dale is not yet true and he plays on Saturday.
    Will we stick to 4-3-3 or might we need to be a bit more solid with 4-3-1-2/4-4-2? Lundstram should start
    but will he be alongside Murphy or MacDonald? Will he risk Finney and/or Ainley in terms of, perhaps,
    needing all hands to the pump? Will Long get some time? Has MacFadzean earned a place or is Rio still the best bet?
    Well, I still think our biggest problem will be creating and scoring chances. We haven't shown much upfront yet so it's a question of whether our defensive setup can survive. In the first two games and remembering the Stoke game, we've had a few panics already. All in all, I'm very pessimistic about the game (and to some extent, the season at the moment!) and am plumping for 3-0 defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Must admit fearing the worst. It was going to be a hard slog against Pompey without losing
    Lowery and Kirk, never mind those others who left in the summer. At least we've got a CH in
    to replace the accountant. Hopefully the gossip about Dale is not yet true and he plays on Saturday.
    Will we stick to 4-3-3 or might we need to be a bit more solid with 4-3-1-2/4-4-2? Lundstram should start
    but will he be alongside Murphy or MacDonald? Will he risk Finney and/or Ainley in terms of, perhaps,
    needing all hands to the pump? Will Long get some time? Has MacFadzean earned a place or is Rio still the best bet?
    Well, I still think our biggest problem will be creating and scoring chances. We haven't shown much upfront yet so it's a question of whether our defensive setup can survive. In the first two games and remembering the Stoke game, we've had a few panics already. All in all, I'm very pessimistic about the game (and to some extent, the season at the moment!) and am plumping for 3-0 defeat.

Would like to see us go 4-4-2 with Richards in goal Ramsey, Daniels, Offord, Macfazdean, Dale, Ainley, Lundstrum, McDonald, Long and Mandaron. I am a little bit more optimistic and think we will lose 2-1.

On the recruitment front I believe we will be signing the Spurs winger on loan over the weekend, which still leaves Artell an awful lot of work in the last 2 weeks to bring in the further 4 players we require if nobody else leaves.

Has anyone actually confirmed what's happening with Hoban? He's still on team page of O/S but hasn't been given squad number - mind you they haven't been formally announced anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Has anyone actually confirmed what's happening with Hoban? He's still on team page of O/S but hasn't been given squad number - mind you they haven't been formally announced anyway.

I understand the situation with Hoban has gone legal, hence the complete silence on the matter.

If he's trying to get out of a contract he signed only weeks ago then going legal is clearly correct course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Would like to see us go 4-4-2 with Richards in goal Ramsey, Daniels, Offord, Macfazdean, Dale, Ainley, Lundstrum, McDonald, Long and Mandaron. I am a little bit more optimistic and think we will lose 2-1.

On the recruitment front I believe we will be signing the Spurs winger on loan over the weekend, which still leaves Artell an awful lot of work in the last 2 weeks to bring in the further 4 players we require if nobody else leaves.

Well that first half was absolutely dreadful inept and toothless, 3 in midfield is not working for us especially as there is zero pace and passing ability in that 3, Artell has a ton of work on the get the attacking players in we clearly need. Only positive is we have not conceded.

We have now! Bloody McGarry commentary! Only knew who had scored because of the crowd noise.

It's the midfield than needs strengthening. The line up was put in place to protect the defence. However, there is noone to change the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    It's the midfield than needs strengthening. The line up was put in place to protect the defence. However, there is noone to change the pattern.
    Well I have just one word DREADFUL !!!

I am not sure how Artell can even spin the positive about that dire performance lacking in any kind of creativity, oh and we can’t defend either !!! I think it is criminal that we have a quality creative midfielder at the club who Artell won’t play, well if that’s the case get some players in who are better and bloody quick !!!!

We have to do something about the Lowery situation. We sounded like we missed his input today. The midfield was adequate but by no means is that line up creative. I still can't see how we're going to score without that. I admire Artell's stance with Lowery but we need someone to replace him.
    I'm not panicking but since the day before the season opener as people left, I have felt much more pessimistic and with such a tough opening schedule, I worry that we may be struggling early on and then a certain psychology may set in.
    MacDonald sounds solid but off the pace. Then again, the team is usually a little slow off the mark, so I wonder if DA is doing anything to counter that.
    Last edited by gazan; 14-08-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast