+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our problems which need addressed now

Our problems which need addressed now

AJ's latest rant

When we play against teams who are perceived to have more of the ball and/or are perceived to have better players than us , more often than not, when we are fearing a heavy defeat, we then get a respectable result -either a narrow defeat, we get a good result eg the draw, or we smash the odds and get the win
    Facts
    - our players surprisingly step up a notch
    - our attitude is much better
    -we look composed and as a result we start well
    -the players do not look under pressure
    -they press higher and look much better
    -the team and fans confidence grows

Offset that against the games when pre-match we are perceived to be the better team and should be on the front foot
    Facts
    - basically the complete opposite of above

We then have the weekly forum fall outs

So whilst we have a team who can handle being underdogs, we need to be bringing in players who ideally can handle the pressure of being favourites but more importantly demand that same effort and attitude in all matches.

I say the latter is more important because last season the likes of Livvy for 3/4 of the season had this, an even better obvious example would be the Saints. Let's be honest both teams would not have been favs to win in the majority of games they played.

Outwith the Glasgow Gits, this league doesn't have the money to buy these players when they're in their prime so have to look for cheaper, Sheep went for Brown, Fun went for Adam, we went for Mulgrew, all 3 in their younger best days is exactly what's needed.

The media and indeed the Utd owner deem us to be a top 6 premier club, this was before and during covid, this was whilst still in diddy league.
    If that's the expectation set, the fans will rightly want this, so the players have no excuses for not matching the desire and workrate and not just in shop window games

We are also lacking players who can handle the heat of creating the chances and dictating the play, this is demanded by a supposed top 6 club especially when they are deemed as pre-match favs

If we are perceived by our owner as a top 6 team then we need to start doing business like one, and not just off the pitch.

Yes we are a selling club but surely better to sell players who are performing at a level better than us and get more money, than get to a situation where our better players simply want to look elsewhere because they're not getting the chance to show how good they can be.

The circle needs rounded here, the missing link is the creative midfielder.
    We brought in quality to get us into premier, let's now bring in quality to keep us there and get to top 6, this will reap rewards I'm sure of it

Tony you find them, Ogren you buy them and Tam you bloody well coach them.
    Our desire and passion is shown every single game be it clappers or moaners, there may be fall outs and min strops, BUT one thing is 100%
    We are United fans, we are a top 6 team fan base, and we will support them.

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    AJ's latest rant

When we play against teams who are perceived to have more of the ball and/or are perceived to have better players than us , more often than not, when we are fearing a heavy defeat, we then get a respectable result -either a narrow defeat, we get a good result eg the draw, or we smash the odds and get the win
    Facts
    - our players surprisingly step up a notch
    - our attitude is much better
    -we look composed and as a result we start well
    -the players do not look under pressure
    -they press higher and look much better
    -the team and fans confidence grows

Offset that against the games when pre-match we are perceived to be the better team and should be on the front foot
    Facts
    - basically the complete opposite of above

We then have the weekly forum fall outs

So whilst we have a team who can handle being underdogs, we need to be bringing in players who ideally can handle the pressure of being favourites but more importantly demand that same effort and attitude in all matches.

I say the latter is more important because last season the likes of Livvy for 3/4 of the season had this, an even better obvious example would be the Saints. Let's be honest both teams would not have been favs to win in the majority of games they played.

Outwith the Glasgow Gits, this league doesn't have the money to buy these players when they're in their prime so have to look for cheaper, Sheep went for Brown, Fun went for Adam, we went for Mulgrew, all 3 in their younger best days is exactly what's needed.

The media and indeed the Utd owner deem us to be a top 6 premier club, this was before and during covid, this was whilst still in diddy league.
    If that's the expectation set, the fans will rightly want this, so the players have no excuses for not matching the desire and workrate and not just in shop window games

We are also lacking players who can handle the heat of creating the chances and dictating the play, this is demanded by a supposed top 6 club especially when they are deemed as pre-match favs

If we are perceived by our owner as a top 6 team then we need to start doing business like one, and not just off the pitch.

Yes we are a selling club but surely better to sell players who are performing at a level better than us and get more money, than get to a situation where our better players simply want to look elsewhere because they're not getting the chance to show how good they can be.

The circle needs rounded here, the missing link is the creative midfielder.
    We brought in quality to get us into premier, let's now bring in quality to keep us there and get to top 6, this will reap rewards I'm sure of it

Tony you find them, Ogren you buy them and Tam you bloody well coach them.
    Our desire and passion is shown every single game be it clappers or moaners, there may be fall outs and min strops, BUT one thing is 100%
    We are United fans, we are a top 6 team fan base, and we will support them.
    Not so much a rant more a manifesto 🙏

It was an away game against a decent team with good coaches, I would have thought Jim Duffy could have done a top job still

And it’s a cup, we’re in the hat

Who said supporting Utd was ever going to be easy, nonetheless I feel the passion and like the mix of youth and experience, with a solid 5000 support we’re never going to be buying big without going bust

And yes I agree we’re light on a midfield maestro,

If we can keep Benji all year he’ll be the spfl keeper of the year

Quote Originally Posted by shed-buoy View Post
    Not so much a rant more a manifesto 🙏

It was an away game against a decent team with good coaches, I would have thought Jim Duffy could have done a top job still

And it’s a cup, we’re in the hat

Who said supporting Utd was ever going to be easy, nonetheless I feel the passion and like the mix of youth and experience, with a solid 5000 support we’re never going to be buying big without going bust

And yes I agree we’re light on a midfield maestro,

If we can keep Benji all year he’ll be the spfl keeper of the year
    Same old problems even before ogren took over never been addressed and all our hopes are on a 2 footed winger who needs to have pace be able to deliver decent crosses from both flanks and most importantly he’ll need to be able to drive us forward 😁 so no pressure on the lad 🤣.Midfield is rotten and we might get a game out them in every 5 🤣

It's like ground hog day, every fan has been saying the same things for 18 months. No width, no pace, no one to make ball stick up front, no creative midfielder. I didn't see the game yesterday, so can't comment, but a predictable slog. Played brilliant against Rangers, but we never made one chance other than the goal which involved a flukey break of the ball. McNulty wont make much difference because he is similar to what we have and wont get much service. Maybe the Finnish winger might help, but that is just one player, maybe there is a youngster to throw into mix, Chalmers doesn't seem as though he will be reliable due to injuries. Looking at line up yesterday, you can see the manager trying to add a bit more attacking flair with Watson and Sporle, but its just crying out for recruitment.

good thread this, all good posts!

I agree though that getting through cup games by whatever means is acceptable and every big club struggles in some early rounds.

But the more successful we are and the higher up the league we finish, the better the seeding. Fighting for Europe places will also attract better standard players than fighting against finishing bottom 2.
    I have plastic bags that are more oven ready than Hoti, to get better we need better, especially if we want to dine at the top 6 table.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    It's like ground hog day, every fan has been saying the same things for 18 months. No width, no pace, no one to make ball stick up front, no creative midfielder. I didn't see the game yesterday, so can't comment, but a predictable slog. Played brilliant against Rangers, but we never made one chance other than the goal which involved a flukey break of the ball. McNulty wont make much difference because he is similar to what we have and wont get much service. Maybe the Finnish winger might help, but that is just one player, maybe there is a youngster to throw into mix, Chalmers doesn't seem as though he will be reliable due to injuries. Looking at line up yesterday, you can see the manager trying to add a bit more attacking flair with Watson and Sporle, but its just crying out for recruitment.
    I'd say about 5 years not 18 months. Agree on the whole though.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)