+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I saw Sir Steve waiting for a taxi after the match

I saw Sir Steve waiting for a taxi after the match

…… bottom of Market Hill.
    Very tempted to have a word with him about the total disrespect Barnsley Council are showing for Barnsley FC supporters.
    You would have thought by now that Barnsley Council would have arranged some sort of access between the town centre and the ground.
    Alambra closed to supporters.
    Interchange closed to supporters.
    Jumble Lane Bridge closed to supporters.

Consequently fans have to walk outside of the town to get back to the ground.
    Doesn’t Barnsley Council care - don’t they want football supporters in the town before or after a match !?!?!
    I’m sure the pubs and cafes do.

If they do want football supporters in the town - what efforts have they made to sort this problem - because there has been no announcement.

Anyway - I had had something to drink so I thought I’d better not say anything to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    …… bottom of Market Hill.
    Very tempted to have a word with him about the total disrespect Barnsley Council are showing for Barnsley FC supporters.
    You would have thought by now that Barnsley Council would have arranged some sort of access between the town centre and the ground.
    Alambra closed to supporters.
    Interchange closed to supporters.
    Jumble Lane Bridge closed to supporters.

Consequently fans have to walk outside of the town to get back to the ground.
    Doesn’t Barnsley Council care - don’t they want football supporters in the town before or after a match !?!?!
    I’m sure the pubs and cafes do.

If they do want football supporters in the town - what efforts have they made to sort this problem - because there has been no announcement.

Anyway - I had had something to drink so I thought I’d better not say anything to him.
    Bound to be quite a bit to put up with Nudge when that amount of redevelopment going on in the town centre .

It is what it is in my opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Bound to be quite a bit to put up with Nudge when that amount of redevelopment going on in the town centre .

It is what it is in my opinion .
    …… looks like the Council has also taken that view …..’it is what it is’.
    But isn’t the local authority there to make life better for the people that pay their wages ???
    Certainly isn’t happening here.
    And to make things worse they can’t even be bothered to explain the reasons behind the inactivity to those that pay their wages.
    It’s a disgrace.

…… looks like the Council has also taken that view …..’it is what it is’.
    But isn’t the local authority there to make life better for the people that pay their wages ???
    Certainly isn’t happening here.
    And to make things worse they can’t even be bothered to explain the reasons behind the inactivity to those that pay their wages.
    It’s a disgrace.
    The council's ability to make people's lives better is generally down to the budget they operate with but the electorate insist on voting in Tory governments who have a solid record of de-funding local authorities and services such as the police .

As far as I know it was well documented that heading in to town following a game at Oakwell required a bit of give and take due to the redevelopment around the town .

Surely you didn't need pointing out that Kendray Street isn't open because it hasn't been for some considerable time .

BTW - on a slightly different topic but related to the lack of access between the town and the ground - I didn’t witness anything myself - but I’ve just read on our sister site that there were skirmishes going on all over the place before and after the match.

When Jumble Lane was closed and people were asked to find alternate routes - I put several posts on message boards saying that this would result in opposing fans clashing all over the place.
    Jumble Lane crossing kept all the fans - hence any flash points in one place that could be policed.
    Barnsley Council have to take some responsibility here.

BTW - on a slightly different topic but related to the lack of access between the town and the ground - I didn’t witness anything myself - but I’ve just read on our sister site that there were skirmishes going on all over the place before and after the match.

When Jumble Lane was closed and people were asked to find alternate routes - I put several posts on message boards saying that this would result in opposing fans clashing all over the place.
    Jumble Lane crossing kept all the fans - hence any flash points in one place that could be policed.
    Barnsley Council have to take some responsibility here.
    Barnsley Council take the blame because fans can't walk together side by side after a game of football ..... Wow .

Have you actually any idea Nudge how much the Tory government have de-funded services for over a decade now ? .

Barnsley Council take the blame because fans can't walk together side by side after a game of football ..... Wow .

Have you actually any idea Nudge how much the Tory government have de-funded services for over a decade now ? .
    Yes - but opposing fans clashing is a reality - no matter how much the majority of supporters disagree with it.

Yes I understand about the massive cuts to the council’s workforce.
    A mate of mine is a GMB rep.
    With all accounts it’s been horrendous.
    But this isn’t aimed at the average council employees.
    Problems here are centred solely on decisions made within the cabinet and the planning department.
    Sir Steve is at the centre of that.

First match and it sounds like there was hell on.
    We have a full season in front of us.
    If a fan gets seriously hurt then the press and media will have a field day with this.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 15-08-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Yes - but opposing fans clashing is a reality - no matter how much the majority of supporters disagree with it.

Yes I understand about the massive cuts to the council’s workforce.
    A mate of mine is a GMB rep.
    With all accounts it’s been horrendous.
    But this isn’t aimed at the average council employees.
    Problems here are centred solely on decisions made within the cabinet and the planning department.
    Sir Steve is at the centre of that.

First match and it sounds like there was hell on.
    We have a full season in front of us.
    If a fan gets seriously hurt then the press and media will have a field day with this.
    Nudge I'm never going to say Barnsley MBC is perfect by any means .

However the redevelopment in the town is seriously impressive given that a vast majority of town centres in this country of similar size are dying .

Cut em a bit of slack please .

Nudge I'm never going to say Barnsley MBC is perfect by any means .

However the redevelopment in the town is seriously impressive given that a vast majority of town centres in this country of similar size are dying .

Cut em a bit of slack please .
    I’m in the town centre quite frequently - that’s where I’ve been talking to the Tykes TV fella today.
    I don’t live in Tarn but I love it there.
    And I’m going to love it even more if the Mills engineering building is made into a sizeable real ale boozer.
    The new town centre square looks highly impressive.
    Opens September 9th.

But but but …… you would have thought that the council would have recognised the safety significance of Jumble Lane during match days - and would have worked with whoever else was involved to build a ‘fit for purpose’ bridge over Jumble Lane.
    Instead we get a bridge that looks like it’s been made from a Mecano Set which is ceremonially chained up on match days.
    The police are then expected to pick up the pieces of the resultant chaos.

I’m in the town centre quite frequently - that’s where I’ve been talking to the Tykes TV fella today.
    I don’t live in Tarn but I love it there.
    And I’m going to love it even more if the Mills engineering building is made into a sizeable real ale boozer.
    The new town centre square looks highly impressive.
    Opens September 9th.

But but but …… you would have thought that the council would have recognised the safety significance of Jumble Lane during match days - and would have worked with whoever else was involved to build a ‘fit for purpose’ bridge over Jumble Lane.
    Instead we get a bridge that looks like it’s been made from a Mecano Set which is ceremonially chained up on match days.
    The police are then expected to pick up the pieces of the resultant chaos.
    Nudge I work in the rail industry , the bridge is down to Network Rail and not the council .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast