+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Callum Styles

Callum Styles

We all know he's a talent with a big future ahead of him but my question is this .

Where do we play him ? .

For me personally it isn't left wing back and I'm wondering about central midfield too .

I think he needs to be further up that pitch and using that ability where he can really hurt the opposition .

I'm going to make a comparison with City's Phil Foden , I take the point he hasn't that kind of talent by any means but more the role Foden plays in that City team .

Coming in on off the wide positions and getting in the box .

That's how I see the lad .

Problem is the system we operate with doesn't offer that option at this moment in time .

However that doesn't mean it will remain as Schopp implements his own ideas and strategy .

Thoughts guys .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    We all know he's a talent with a big future ahead of him but my question is this .

Where do we play him ? .

For me personally it isn't left wing back and I'm wondering about central midfield too .

I think he needs to be further up that pitch and using that ability where he can really hurt the opposition .

I'm going to make a comparison with City's Phil Foden , I take the point he hasn't that kind of talent by any means but more the role Foden plays in that City team .

Coming in on off the wide positions and getting in the box .

That's how I see the lad .

Problem is the system we operate with doesn't offer that option at this moment in time .

However that doesn't mean it will remain as Schopp implements his own ideas and strategy .

Thoughts guys .
    Where ever he plays he needs to be in and around opposition's area,after last year id expect him to get double figures this yr.weve lost mowatts goals and assists dont want to lose his aswell.i hope if he gets put back to lb he's happy,could we try him in the front 3,morris os injured, id happily try him.fetch benson in alongside palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrascal View Post
    Where ever he plays he needs to be in and around opposition's area,after last year id expect him to get double figures this yr.weve lost mowatts goals and assists dont want to lose his aswell.i hope if he gets put back to lb he's happy,could we try him in the front 3,morris os injured, id happily try him.fetch benson in alongside palmer.
    The Benson and Palmer thing has come in to my thinking rascal with regards to Styles .

You can watch as many games as you like on a computer as we have had to do for the last 18 months but you don't see the whole thing with players .

Young Palmer surprised me yesterday , I really didn't know he had that kind of ability , the kid is a phenomenal young footballer .

It was a sublime pass to put Freiser in for the goal but he produced an even better bit of skill in the second half which those who missed yesterday possibly haven't seen , he did a turn on the ball and left three Coventry lads for dead , he put Styles in with the pass which Styles got a strike off but was unfortunately blocked .

The only thing holding Palmer back is he can't do 90 minutes , 70 minutes and he's out of gas .

It will come eventually but it will take time .

I'm thinking Palmer and Benson in central midfield but Styles has to figure in that team too .

Too good a player not to be .

Mek em all get an haircut..... as a centre half if id tackle some poodle looking nacy boy just that little bit harder.

The Benson and Palmer thing has come in to my thinking rascal with regards to Styles .

You can watch as many games as you like on a computer as we have had to do for the last 18 months but you don't see the whole thing with players .

Young Palmer surprised me yesterday , I really didn't know he had that kind of ability , the kid is a phenomenal young footballer .

It was a sublime pass to put Freiser in for the goal but he produced an even better bit of skill in the second half which those who missed yesterday possibly haven't seen , he did a turn on the ball and left three Coventry lads for dead , he put Styles in with the pass which Styles got a strike off but was unfortunately blocked .

The only thing holding Palmer back is he can't do 90 minutes , 70 minutes and he's out of gas .

It will come eventually but it will take time .

I'm thinking Palmer and Benson in central midfield but Styles has to figure in that team too .

Too good a player not to be .
    They show that turn on club you tube on bbs, i think he did the trick a second or 2 early or he would av left his man for dead.still good to see abit of show boating.styles has to figure,i dont think he'll get that many more games to occupy a midfield spot though, palmer clearly having the better start to the season and benson is chomping at the bit, hopefully kane is gonna come good 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrascal View Post
    They show that turn on club you tube on bbs, i think he did the trick a second or 2 early or he would av left his man for dead.still good to see abit of show boating.styles has to figure,i dont think he'll get that many more games to occupy a midfield spot though, palmer clearly having the better start to the season and benson is chomping at the bit, hopefully kane is gonna come good 2.
    Herbie Kane is another one as you say rascal in that area .

Not had the greatest start to his career here , injuries and another one who was asked to play the Val way which wasn't necessarily his game .

This lad came through the Liverpool system so it stands to sense there's a player in there somewhere .

Been chatting to the Tykes TV guy today about Styles.
    In his opinion he thinks Palmer and Styles are similar - but I think Styles game is more driving forward with the ball.
    Problem is - that position doesn’t exist in a 343 team as the middle 4 have all got important defensive duties.
    Probably the best position for Styles in the current formation would be to go to wingback again - leaving Palmer and Benson in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Been chatting to the Tykes TV guy today about Styles.
    In his opinion he thinks Palmer and Styles are similar - but I think Styles game is more driving forward with the ball.
    Problem is - that position doesn’t exist in a 343 team as the middle 4 have all got important defensive duties.
    Probably the best position for Styles in the current formation would be to go to wingback again - leaving Palmer and Benson in the middle.
    Just my opinion Nudge but putting Styles back to left wing back is just sticking a plaster over a deep wound .

One of Styles best games in a red shirt was at Brentford on that memorable final night .

He played that night up the pitch and wide , he scored the first goal and caused Brentford all kinds of problems that night , they couldn't handle him when he came inside .

Get a bloody wing back in and let this kid play where he can use his ability far more effectively .

Styles seems to be struggling in central midfield. I would be tempted to put him back to LWB and start Palmer and Benson in central midfield

Just my opinion Nudge but putting Styles back to left wing back is just sticking a plaster over a deep wound .

One of Styles best games in a red shirt was at Brentford on that memorable final night .

He played that night up the pitch and wide , he scored the first goal and caused Brentford all kinds of problems that night , they couldn't handle him when he came inside .

Get a bloody wing back in and let this kid play where he can use his ability far more effectively .
    Agree with that. Also Styles ran the show at Elland Rd when we were very unfortunately beaten 1-0 in the great escape season. Styles has an eye for goal and needs to play further up. However, I ent sin us laik yit this season so I can't comment on how he's doing based on 10 minutes of highlights. The Luton game will be the first time I see us live but on the red button. When av ed mi 2nd Covid jab al gu to Oakwell to see em in the flesh. As tha sez, tha can see far more being there in the stand than tha can on camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast