+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I'm in the 'it was all for nothing' camp.

Lives lost, lives ruined. Twenty years on and Taliban back in charge; we'll likely see terrorist cells re-emerge after being trained there by the soldiers trained by us and the good old US of A.

I blame the SNP.
    I think it’s a bit doom and gloom to say it was all for nothing.

I think the calamity of the withdrawal is a disgrace but the withdrawal needed to happen, I find it incredible they had no idea the 300,000 trained Afghans were just going to give up without even trying to hold the country. The Taliban progression of the last week or two has been pretty much bloodless.

It remains to be seen if they’ll be true to their word but if they are that’s massive progress on the past.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    I think it’s a bit doom and gloom to say it was all for nothing.

I think the calamity of the withdrawal is a disgrace but the withdrawal needed to happen, I find it incredible they had no idea the 300,000 trained Afghans were just going to give up without even trying to hold the country. The Taliban progression of the last week or two has been pretty much bloodless.

It remains to be seen if they’ll be true to their word but if they are that’s massive progress on the past.
    The loss of anyone's life in a war is doom and gloom for me. Unnecessary and wrong. However I also get the 'well that's what they signed up to' argument having been there myself.

Note for the troll - people experience things and can change their opinions based on those experiences, it's called living a life.

You learn to despise those that caused the war very quickly when face to face with the reality of it.

The withdrawal had to happen at some point and Biden was right to be angry with the Afghan military for stepping aside and allowing it, it's indicative of what the country really wants.

The Taliban won't have moved from their 10th century view of how society should be to a 21st century one in the time they've been underground. Only my opinion but I can see the country slipping back to exactly how it was before the western invasion in short time.

The loss of anyone's life in a war is doom and gloom for me. Unnecessary and wrong. However I also get the 'well that's what they signed up to' argument having been there myself.

Note for the troll - people experience things and can change their opinions based on those experiences, it's called living a life.

You learn to despise those that caused the war very quickly when face to face with the reality of it.

The withdrawal had to happen at some point and Biden was right to be angry with the Afghan military for stepping aside and allowing it, it's indicative of what the country really wants.

The Taliban won't have moved from their 10th century view of how society should be to a 21st century one in the time they've been underground. Only my opinion but I can see the country slipping back to exactly how it was before the western invasion in short time.
    Philosophical question then - what is the point of armed forces at all if not for war?

Philosophical question then - what is the point of armed forces at all if not for war?
    We all know religion and oil cause wars so if you hold a belief in one or have a requirement for the other a military is needed to protect them. Again just my view but military should be there, and should be strong enough, to defend not to invade.

We all know religion and oil cause wars so if you hold a belief in one or have a requirement for the other a military is needed to protect them. Again just my view but military should be there, and should be strong enough, to defend not to invade.
    So never to help defenceless people in other places?

Told you I had your number.

What was your position in the armed forces ? I for some reason had you down as a technical support for the RAF, not someone on the ground fighting, apologies in advance

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    What was your position in the armed forces ? I for some reason had you down as a technical support for the RAF, not someone on the ground fighting, apologies in advance
    ‘Laundry matters’.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    I was an Aircraft Technician J.

Didn't realise that automatically meant I could never be in a war situation or I'd have put up some strong objections.

So never to help defenceless people in other places?
    Not for me no. Maybe if people in this country weren't starving and struggling to survive. I'm no humanitarian.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)