+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professional diving

Professional diving

I have seen a lot of diving in the matches I have seen on tv which have gone unpunished where as any ‘contact’ tackles are given a yellow or red card.I get upset when the tv presenters say ‘there was contact” When I played many years ago football was a contact sport.There were no substitutes,if you were injured you carried on playing on the wing as a nuisance player.I dread to think what poor old Skinner Normanton would think how his game has been taken over by the imported cheats of Europe and South America.OK the game has got more technical but cheating is cheating and it should be punished as foul play.After saying that I played at right back and right half and was a hard tackler and was never booked or sent off,but that as in the 1950s and 1960s,today if I could get my poor old legs to work as they used to I wouldn’t last ten minutes on the pitch with my tackles and neither would Skinner Normanton,Norman Hunter and a lot more like them,but they did not cheat.At coming up to 82 am I too old to understand the modern game?

By the way my brother played in the same Doncaster team as our Charlie Williams and Walsall,my Grandad played forBolton and Southport and an uncle who played for Milwall and England and I played in the Royal Navy against the South Korean National team so we the family know a little bit about the game even though it was a long time ago.But cheating is cheating so don’t tell me about how much more money there is in the game now.I may be an old man now but I think the referees should look at the rules and diving is cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    I have seen a lot of diving in the matches I have seen on tv which have gone unpunished where as any ‘contact’ tackles are given a yellow or red card.I get upset when the tv presenters say ‘there was contact” When I played many years ago football was a contact sport.There were no substitutes,if you were injured you carried on playing on the wing as a nuisance player.I dread to think what poor old Skinner Normanton would think how his game has been taken over by the imported cheats of Europe and South America.OK the game has got more technical but cheating is cheating and it should be punished as foul play.After saying that I played at right back and right half and was a hard tackler and was never booked or sent off,but that as in the 1950s and 1960s,today if I could get my poor old legs to work as they used to I wouldn’t last ten minutes on the pitch with my tackles and neither would Skinner Normanton,Norman Hunter and a lot more like them,but they did not cheat.At coming up to 82 am I too old to understand the modern game?
    This is the modern world,the jam,its not just cheating on football field mate in my option,everybody is out for wat they can get, No old school left,kids ant had no respect for elders anymore,its all going to s..t.,all this counting counters might be ok wen there 5 but wen there ****s?i think the days of hunter had to go go it wa a bit rough,billy whitehurst knocking goalkeepers through net,manager tellin him to do wat he wants.totally changed,players take a knock on shin,there now holding there face,national service should be applied again in my opion,all these at school wi no exams would at least av an opportunity to learn things. good thing about us tarn fans is we dont like cheating,av been to matches and heard us shouting to em to Get up.just be happy tha a tarn fan mate.

Not football as we knew it, is it?

I agree Filey, good post.

I got interested Filey when you said/posted the word Normanton (but you were on about Sid skinner weren't you). Ohh well my mistake ehh lol, carry on.

I was at the Arsenal v Barnsley FA Cup match in 1952 or 53 with my Dad and it was the battle of the 2 hard men Skinner Sid Normanton of Barnsley and I forget the Arsenal man but he fouled Skinner in the first 20 minutes which resulted in Skinner being carried off and we had to play the rest of the game with 10 men because there were no substitutes in those days and we lost 4-0.I was also at a mid week match against Blackburn which kicked off early because there were no floodlights in those days.The heavens opened and the pitch was like a lake and the old footballs became as heavy as cannon balls.Skinner was taking a free kick near the kop end where the away stand is now,he backed so far back to get a good run at the ball he fell over the wall.He was not a happy man when the crowd laughed.I met him years later and he was small chap but I couldn’t have wished to meet a nicer man.That was Sid (Skinner) Normanton.

its not just the diving now its the screaming as they have been tackled it makes the ref think twice so he has to stop the game to check on the diver. theres so much cheating going on now the games are just boring wont be long before the snowflakes ban heading. i can see it being a non contact sport in 20years ish

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
    its not just the diving now its the screaming as they have been tackled it makes the ref think twice so he has to stop the game to check on the diver. theres so much cheating going on now the games are just boring wont be long before the snowflakes ban heading. i can see it being a non contact sport in 20years ish
    ---and the rolling over abart five times. If they were really injured they wouldn't move.

We are not without our culprits--Woodrow is down with or without contact quite often in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    I was at the Arsenal v Barnsley FA Cup match in 1952 or 53 with my Dad and it was the battle of the 2 hard men Skinner Sid Normanton of Barnsley and I forget the Arsenal man but he fouled Skinner in the first 20 minutes which resulted in Skinner being carried off and we had to play the rest of the game with 10 men because there were no substitutes in those days and we lost 4-0.I was also at a mid week match against Blackburn which kicked off early because there were no floodlights in those days.The heavens opened and the pitch was like a lake and the old footballs became as heavy as cannon balls.Skinner was taking a free kick near the kop end where the away stand is now,he backed so far back to get a good run at the ball he fell over the wall.He was not a happy man when the crowd laughed.I met him years later and he was small chap but I couldn’t have wished to meet a nicer man.That was Sid (Skinner) Normanton.
    Never knew there were no substitutes,wow,learn something new everyday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast