+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Aldershot 04.09.21 [NL]

As others, a rollercoaster of a game. I think it’s time to scrap the ‘system’ as we always look better after it’s changed at half time. Either that or IB needs to give the half time b ollocking before the ball is kicked rather than waiting until 45 has gone. First half was reminiscent of Ardley at times. Way too many ponderous passes around the back.
    Again good to see the frustration from IB as well. He sees it like we do. Refreshing.
    Second half was typical Notts. Went two down then that kicked them up the arse enough to make them care and when they did…boom. We dominate. We look like winners. We also (in whispered tones) looked better going more direct.
    Mitchell did some good work on the far left, but would like to see a 442 and him up front in the box. Looks hungry.
    Good game and 3 points is what it is.
    I hope the formation changes going forwards.
    And last words for Alex Lacey. So good to see him back again. Him and Cameron as a pairing would be immense imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Going into the game I was hoping for a far more comfortable victory, but in a strange way we might have learned more from it being a rollercoaster. We've still got the three points, but I also think we've seen enough now to conclude that five at the back in home games is too many. The switch to 4-3-3 in the second half made us play quicker and a little more directly, whereas the three centre-halves seemed to be having a game amongst themselves in the first half, much to Aldershot's relief!

In the second half I thought Ruben Rodrigues showed he is no lightweight if he's put in the thick of the action. He looked really comfortable in his (forward looking) central midfield role and clearly isn't averse to putting his foot in and winning a tackle, which is a real bonus in addition to his known attacking threat. Kairo Mitchell also impressed me again with his pace down the left-side, and Cal Roberts became a real threat once we started getting the ball to him quicker out wide, as opposed to the first half where we played like a team on sedatives.

All in all, a handy little exercise in terms of learning how best to use the undoubted talent we've got, and which formation we should play at home. There may still be a role for a back five away from home, where you want to have a strong defence and sometimes take the heat out of games, but at home you need a more attacking formation and a quicker, more intense tempo to get the crowd excited and really put the opponents under pressure.
    Nice post

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Going into the game I was hoping for a far more comfortable victory, but in a strange way we might have learned more from it being a rollercoaster. We've still got the three points, but I also think we've seen enough now to conclude that five at the back in home games is too many. The switch to 4-3-3 in the second half made us play quicker and a little more directly, whereas the three centre-halves seemed to be having a game amongst themselves in the first half, much to Aldershot's relief!

In the second half I thought Ruben Rodrigues showed he is no lightweight if he's put in the thick of the action. He looked really comfortable in his (forward looking) central midfield role and clearly isn't averse to putting his foot in and winning a tackle, which is a real bonus in addition to his known attacking threat. Kairo Mitchell also impressed me again with his pace down the left-side, and Cal Roberts became a real threat once we started getting the ball to him quicker out wide, as opposed to the first half where we played like a team on sedatives.

All in all, a handy little exercise in terms of learning how best to use the undoubted talent we've got, and which formation we should play at home. There may still be a role for a back five away from home, where you want to have a strong defence and sometimes take the heat out of games, but at home you need a more attacking formation and a quicker, more intense tempo to get the crowd excited and really put the opponents under pressure.
    "the back 5" wasn't really the problem, DKE and Taylor spent most of the first half in line with Kyle Wootton on the last man, you could barely call them defenders. The problem was that they're not as effective in attack as someone like Kairo Mitchell (who Burchnall spoke to and was giving instructions to in the 41st minute) and Cal Roberts can be. I don't think people should see it as a defensive formation, especailly with the way we play it.

Most of our downfall today was through our own sloppy touches or passes but I thought Aldershot looked alright in spells and both goals were well taken. Our slow build up won't change as it's how we find gaps in the opponents, as Cal Roberts said in his post match interview, the players missed chances to make that more direct/cutting ball a few times and thats when you saw Burchnall getting frustrated but quite often we made a pass that caused a few groans only to immediately be on the attack in space, including for Roberts' goal.

It's a patient game and we need fans to be patient with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    All in all, got the 3 points against a poor side, so job done

However conceding 2 goals at home is not good enough, we have got away with it today, but going forward we must address this, otherwise we will drop points.
    And in both home games, against Torquay, and Aldershot we have been behind in some point of the game

Weymouth up next, where we need another 3 points

What did cheer me up was Solihull moors losing at home to Weymouth, As Ardley is a great manager haha
    Sounds like you were happier that Solihull lost than you were that Notts won!

Of course we don't want to be conceding goals, but I am really happy tonight with where we are, a win, still unbeaten, 3 goals scored, best goal difference in the league, Lacey back, Wootton on 4 goals already and Cal on the score sheet.

No cheering up needed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Sounds like you were happier that Solihull lost than you were that Notts won!

This will make him even happier then, MM.

Phew! For a minute then I was worrying the Solihull manager wouldn't get enough mentions on today's Notts County match thread.

Luckily for all of us you can always rely on Davy and Gumpy to step up, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Phew! For a minute then I was worrying the Solihull manager wouldn't get enough mentions on today's Notts County match thread.

Luckily for all of us you can always rely on Davy and Gumpy to step up, thanks guys.
    That's OK Laddo, for you, anytime.

I think one of the most noticeable things this season so far, is how much less chasing around/closing people down Wootton does. This has to be good news, as it gives him mo

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    As others, a rollercoaster of a game. I think it’s time to scrap the ‘system’ as we always look better after it’s changed at half time. Either that or IB needs to give the half time b ollocking before the ball is kicked rather than waiting until 45 has gone. First half was reminiscent of Ardley at times. Way too many ponderous passes around the back.
    Again good to see the frustration from IB as well. He sees it like we do. Refreshing.
    Second half was typical Notts. Went two down then that kicked them up the arse enough to make them care and when they did…boom. We dominate. We look like winners. We also (in whispered tones) looked better going more direct.
    Mitchell did some good work on the far left, but would like to see a 442 and him up front in the box. Looks hungry.
    Good game and 3 points is what it is.
    I hope the formation changes going forwards.
    And last words for Alex Lacey. So good to see him back again. Him and Cameron as a pairing would be immense imo.
    When did we go 2 down, which match was that

more energy to last the games and gives him more composure to take his chances. I am also impressed with Mitchell, who looks like a faster more skilled version of Sam. Looks to have goals in him if played more centrally too.
    Today was tge first time I have seen Lacey 'live' and wow what a player at this level, won everything in the air which was very pleasing, and gives us more flexibility in central defence.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast