+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pierce Bird

It appears Burch & Co could work wonders with many an ex-Notts player as I've got a strong feeling getting the most out of a player and developing them further are one of their strong suits.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I never said he was better than Lacey. At that time he was playing better than Rawlinson.. But that's just my opinion Mr knowall .🤪
    I don't know all, not even close But I did know Bird wasn't better than Rawlinson and certainly wasn't playing better than Rawlinson, Turner or Lacey.

I suspect that thought was shared by thousands of Notts fans at the time and more importantly the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Whilst I take your point, every schoolboy footballer is taught never to pass back directly towards your own goal
    That was the case in the 80s. Goalkeepers are now expected to be comfortable on the ball and players pass to them regardless of where they are. Watch Slocome. He will often get the ball direct to him.
    Next you will be saying school boys get told to not pass across the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    That was the case in the 80s. Goalkeepers are now expected to be comfortable on the ball and players pass to them regardless of where they are. Watch Slocome. He will often get the ball direct to him.
    Indeed he will, but I struggle to see how giving the ball to a goalkeeper with an opponent bearing down on him is a good tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    I liked him too Durham. He had a good pass on him and was a threat in the air. I think Burch could have worked wonders with him.
    Had an attitude problem imo. Don't think he really applied himself.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Had an attitude problem imo. Don't think he really applied himself.
    This was said a few times, not sure why Bird seemed to have so much blind support as if he came through our academy and was truly "home grown", if he'd have been a foreign player god help him with the manager openly saying he wasn't following instructions or giving his all.

The pass from the goalkeeper is cr*p for sure, but Bird had more than one place he could have smashed the ball that wouldn't have resulted in it going in, it's partially bad luck but there's no need for him to kick it straight back towards goal

I'm confused...how come people dont mind analysing Birds performance since hes left but your not allowed to mention Ardley without his devotees getting flustered and calling you obsessed.
    Anyway check out their forum they've sussed him out straight away...
    Unlike some on here who it took 2 and a half seasons for it to register he was rubbish and some who still think he was great but unlucky...
    There have said it out loud...

On the lack of application question Maybe it's because, despite the spelling, pierce was named after Stuart Pearce and was a died in the wool red.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Indeed he will, but I struggle to see how giving the ball to a goalkeeper with an opponent bearing down on him is a good tactic.
    I suppose if the keeper is closed down then someone will be free and in effect we or the team doing it now has an overload.
    Clearly some keepers are better than others at it.

I know some on here don’t like all the tippy tappy stuff, but it’s clearly in IB’s remit. The players we bring in are with a view to providing a footballing education, improving significantly and at some point hopefully selling them on for good money. To make players more desirable at the top end of the pyramid they need to be good passers of the football.
    Time will tell if it will work. Time will tell whether the players we improve take us up through the leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg elite View Post
    On the lack of application question Maybe it's because, despite the spelling, pierce was named after Stuart Pearce and was a died in the wool red.
    Wasn't he playing part time and working in a factory when we signed him? You'd have thought that route into football alone would be enough to make him put some graft in so he didn't have to end up back in a factory.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast