+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derby going into admin

Derby going into admin

And some people criticize our owners for not spending money.

Good🤣🤣🤣

Nasty little club supported by inbreds.

I’ll never forget the way those charmless f u c k s mocked us as we left Wembley after the play off final loss, not an ounce of class amongst any of them!

The only shame is that Villa didn’t get done as well seeing as they were “bang to rights” before escaping to the Prem at the last nano second.

I hope Derby do a Bolton and Portsmouth and f u c k off into oblivion for the rest of my days.

Let’s all f u c k I n g laugh at Direby🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    And some people criticize our owners for not spending money.
    Exactly! We may not like the self sufficient approach taken by the club and the lack of ambition, but at least we know that being ran this way means we'll never face what Derby are going through. There are sensible ways of being competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Exactly! We may not like the self sufficient approach taken by the club and the lack of ambition, but at least we know that being ran this way means we'll never face what Derby are going through. There are sensible ways of being competitive.
    While I agree with you, there is a 'happy medium'. In my opinion what Lai is doing is not how to run a successful football club. Let's face it, he has spent absolutely nothing on bringing in players. Where has all the parachute/Pereira money gone? I'll give you one guess!
    We should have spent some money, without going mad, on a decent striker. What I don't understand, as he is supposed to be a business man, is the that you have to speculate to accumulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    While I agree with you, there is a 'happy medium'. In my opinion what Lai is doing is not how to run a successful football club. Let's face it, he has spent absolutely nothing on bringing in players. Where has all the parachute/Pereira money gone? I'll give you one guess!
    We should have spent some money, without going mad, on a decent striker. What I don't understand, as he is supposed to be a business man, is the that you have to speculate to accumulate.
    E&F published a good article on our spend and you can see it's really quite thought out. The 'free transfers' weren't quite free transfers and Val has a little to play with in January if needed. Perreira money is paid £4m per season and parachute payments are to allow for sustainability rather than competitive advantage. The club is clearly looking to stretch out money so that we are protected. A lot of clubs take a big gamble that they will be up before the parachute payments end. That's not a gamble we are taking.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport...ame-in-window/

Derby took the speculate to accumulate model. They paid £8m for a young Arsenal defender a couple of years ago, with the view that he might get them up or they make a healthy profit. He's been crippled with injuries and they couldn't get him off the books if they tried now. They have bought several players for £4-5m and they have made nothing on them.

Don't forget there is so much uncertainty in football still. Absolutely no guarantees from the gov that there won't be another lockdown. The last one was the final nail in the coffin for Derby. I wouldn't trade what we have for a risk that we end up in their shoes.

I am not one for criticising Lai for how he runs the club, what he invests in the club, although I would rather have someone who at least shows interest in the club as a club not just a business. Below is what I posted in August-

It is very difficult to get a handle on what investment Lai has made since he paid well over the odds in July 2016. He has stated that he expects the club to be run within its means so in that respect he won’t ever be making an investment, I.e. NEW money on top of the money he paid for the club.

It is difficult to find out how much he has sanctioned from income to be spent on new players, and even then it excludes agents fees, add ons and increased salary costs.

However, having trawled the pages of Transfermarket.co.uk since he purchased the club until the end of last season we have spent £153.3 million on new players and receive in £92.8 million that is a net spend of £60.5 million. Of course that doesn’t include the £16.2 million or so we are due to get from the sale of Pereira.

I tried to list all the moves in and out above £1 million but got timed out!!

My gripe isn’t that he doesn’t chuck money at it, I wouldn’t either if I owned it. My gripe is we have spent money unwisely rather than not spent it. I believe all clubs should be run as a business but that business needs to make better decisions on where the money goes, Zahore, Grant ffs to name but 2 on a very long list over the last 7/10 years, especially forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    I am not one for criticising Lai for how he runs the club, what he invests in the club, although I would rather have someone who at least shows interest in the club as a club not just a business. Below is what I posted in August-

It is very difficult to get a handle on what investment Lai has made since he paid well over the odds in July 2016. He has stated that he expects the club to be run within its means so in that respect he won’t ever be making an investment, I.e. NEW money on top of the money he paid for the club.

It is difficult to find out how much he has sanctioned from income to be spent on new players, and even then it excludes agents fees, add ons and increased salary costs.

However, having trawled the pages of Transfermarket.co.uk since he purchased the club until the end of last season we have spent £153.3 million on new players and receive in £92.8 million that is a net spend of £60.5 million. Of course that doesn’t include the £16.2 million or so we are due to get from the sale of Pereira.

I tried to list all the moves in and out above £1 million but got timed out!!

My gripe isn’t that he doesn’t chuck money at it, I wouldn’t either if I owned it. My gripe is we have spent money unwisely rather than not spent it. I believe all clubs should be run as a business but that business needs to make better decisions on where the money goes, Zahore, Grant ffs to name but 2 on a very long list over the last 7/10 years, especially forwards.
    I live in East Midlands now. Between derby and forest fans I have to say derby fans live in the past and always believe that they’re hard done by and should be in prem. loads of times I’m reminded about play off final and did I cry at wemberley.totally classless. Hope they drop down to conference . Forest fans a bit better, they remember us ending there unbeaten run in 78 quarter final. What a day that was eh. I was in the brummie rd end drenched in beer when Regis got second. Oh the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by boinggazmic View Post
    I live in East Midlands now. Between derby and forest fans I have to say derby fans live in the past and always believe that they’re hard done by and should be in prem. loads of times I’m reminded about play off final and did I cry at wemberley.totally classless. Hope they drop down to conference . Forest fans a bit better, they remember us ending there unbeaten run in 78 quarter final. What a day that was eh. I was in the brummie rd end drenched in beer when Regis got second. Oh the memories.
    In a nutshell.......yes!

I’ve got a mate who’s a Forest fan and my experience of him is that he’d very much make a Baggies fan.

No “Billy Big B o l l o x” attitude as to where Forest should be but like Albion fans, he’s grateful for his clubs history in the game.

Very much like we were before Sir Gary turned up are Forest, just waiting for the right man to arrive and the start of their true revival.

What a day that quarter final against Forest was, one of my all time favourite days as a then 17 year old Albion fan.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    E&F published a good article on our spend and you can see it's really quite thought out. The 'free transfers' weren't quite free transfers and Val has a little to play with in January if needed. Perreira money is paid £4m per season and parachute payments are to allow for sustainability rather than competitive advantage. The club is clearly looking to stretch out money so that we are protected. A lot of clubs take a big gamble that they will be up before the parachute payments end. That's not a gamble we are taking.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport...ame-in-window/

Derby took the speculate to accumulate model. They paid £8m for a young Arsenal defender a couple of years ago, with the view that he might get them up or they make a healthy profit. He's been crippled with injuries and they couldn't get him off the books if they tried now. They have bought several players for £4-5m and they have made nothing on them.

Don't forget there is so much uncertainty in football still. Absolutely no guarantees from the gov that there won't be another lockdown. The last one was the final nail in the coffin for Derby. I wouldn't trade what we have for a risk that we end up in their shoes.
    Good post, well thought out and informative. Perhaps I was looking at it on a somewhat superficial level. I take the points that you have made and obviously would prefer to be run as we are and not in the manner of Derby. I just think that we could be a little more proactive on occasions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)