+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cover version of classic songs

Cover version of classic songs

The Corrs version of Jimi Hendrix Little Wing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkbD33CnsE

I like the original but here CCR make the song their own . 11 minutes of utter brilliance

https://youtu.be/ixqofv-Oi74

Not heard either of these versions before but both good. I think one of the best cover artists was Linda Ronstadt who was massive in the states through the 70s but had few hits here. Her covers of songs like Desperado, You're no good or Tracks of my tears are classics and her live performances with backing bands featuring the likes of Andrew Gold put many of today's artists to shame. So sad that Parkinson's robbed her if her voice.

Don’t normally like cover versions, but Disturbed version of Sound of Silence the Simon and Garfunkel classic ,is not only the best cover version I have ever heard but is my favourite record of all time.This man David Draiman has a wonderful voice.

Quote Originally Posted by wba13 View Post
    Don’t normally like cover versions, but Disturbed version of Sound of Silence the Simon and Garfunkel classic ,is not only the best cover version I have ever heard but is my favourite record of all time.This man David Draiman has a wonderful voice.
    Good shout-almost forgot about this! Disturbed version is quite powerful isn't it? Recently 're watched The graduate on BBC and S&Gs music fits its mood perfectly but always a sign of a good song if it can be covered successfully in another musical genre. Ronstadts versions tend to be all done in a West coast/soft rock vein but her voice and the musicianship of the band carry them through. A local band do a storming heavy metal-ish version of "These boots are made for walking". Sometimes it works to deconstruct original band/production versions back down to basic acoustic guitar/piano and sometimes it's good to do the opposite. Like yourself, don't normally like cover versions but there are always exceptions like Jeff Buckley's classic take On Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" which is probably better than the original ( and far more powerful IMHO than the Alexandra Burke version)

Talking of cover versions, one of the best that I have heard is the Hollies version of the Supremes ' Stop,in the name of love.' All a matter of taste though.

This is my favourite cover. Its by the Red House Painters and they cover that awful Paul McCartney drivel Silly Love Songs but they make it an entirely different song. In fact for the first couple of minutes you can't not tell what the song is going to be. Apologies if I have not successfully done the link.

https://youtu.be/iJU_qjdShgc

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Not heard either of these versions before but both good. I think one of the best cover artists was Linda Ronstadt who was massive in the states through the 70s but had few hits here. Her covers of songs like Desperado, You're no good or Tracks of my tears are classics and her live performances with backing bands featuring the likes of Andrew Gold put many of today's artists to shame. So sad that Parkinson's robbed her if her voice.
    Linda Ronstadt was a great singer, a great rock singer and a great country singer. As you say, always had a great backing band, the founding members of the Eagles were recruited as her backing band and played, I believe, on her first album. She also did quite a few live performances with Waddy Wachtel as her lead guitarist, now that man could really play rock guitar, who also often featured in Keith Richard’s band, The Xpensive Winos! You may not be into Country Music but her two albums with Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton are very good, Trio and Trio 2; apparently there was to be a Trio 3 but Ronstadt’s illness prevented that from happening. I am a massive Emmylou Harris fan, who has also done many excellent covers, and Linda Ronstadt was very instrumental in sting Emmylou on the path to stardom.

Not a great Country fan (although I like people like Johnny Cash and Chris Stapleton) but I've heard the first Trio album and can appreciate why it got such good reviews. You're right about Waddy Wachtel being a great guitar player but was put off by the allegations around child ****ography against him (which he apparently didn't contest).

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    This is my favourite cover. Its by the Red House Painters and they cover that awful Paul McCartney drivel Silly Love Songs but they make it an entirely different song. In fact for the first couple of minutes you can't not tell what the song is going to be. Apologies if I have not successfully done the link.

https://youtu.be/iJU_qjdShgc
    Good shout. A great cover version transforms the original into something quite different. When Ringo sings 'With a Little Help From My Friends' it's a nice little ditty about how pleasant it is to have friends. When Cocker performs it whether at Woodstock or the Queens Jubilee with all the backing to me it screams they are something we all need!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2p98e5
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 30-09-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)