+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Woking 02.10.21 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    That's the objective, but I'm not sure players at this level are capable of playing that brand of football for 90 minutes game after game, which is the consistency we would need to win this league. If they were, then they would probably be playing at least three divisions higher already. Whatever style of play you adopt, it needs to be one that enables the players at your disposal to grind out results even on days when they aren't 'clicking' or playing particularly well, because that's going to happen a lot with lower league players. The reason Manchester City can play their brand of football so consistently well is because they have a squad full of top quality talent.
    Yes. They have proved they can grind out results with a backs to the wall performance at Wrexham, they just need to be able to call on that spirit whenever it is required. Of course we also need our defence back to fitness too.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-10-2021 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Thanks both. I'm not bothered by his height or lack thereof, I was just curious about the impression he created. He's not been brought in to be a bruiser so I don't think his height matters.
    I agree with your sentiments. But, the general view is that we’re lacking height in the midfield. So acknowledging that point to the wider audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    I agree with your sentiments. But, the general view is that we’re lacking height in the midfield. So acknowledging that point to the wider audience.
    I wouldn't say no to a 2021 version of (5' 4") Willie Carlin

I know anticlough doesn't like the references to 'animals' or 'beasts' in midfield, and maybe he's right that it's a lazy description, but I do think we're short of someone with a bit of height who can - to use the football parlance - 'put their foot in' and make a tackle.

That said, I've been surprised this season by how willing Ruben Rodrigues is to put himself about, which makes him a valuable player even on those days when his goal creating and scoring abilities aren't at their most evident. He took his goal brilliantly yesterday, but he also ratted around midfield far more than you might expect for a creative/attacking midfielder. The lad's no lightweight.

I should think the fans of most clubs in this league can see a part of their team that could be stronger, or where they're missing a certain type of player, so this isn't a season breaker. What we need to do most is play in a way that compensates for the areas where we're weakest and makes the most of our best players. I'm not sure we're doing that at present.

Promotion is won over at least two thirds of the season not 9 matches. There is plenty of time left yet and most teams in this league are capable of achieving wins just look at Altrinchams 2-3 win away at top of the league D & R - makes our 1-0 defeat at their place look not so bad. Lets hope IB finds his magic touch again very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Promotion is won over at least two thirds of the season not 9 matches. There is plenty of time left yet and most teams in this league are capable of achieving wins just look at Altrinchams 2-3 win away at top of the league D & R - makes our 1-0 defeat at their place look not so bad. Lets hope IB finds his magic touch again very soon.
    Well said Mr. Banjo. Hopefully on Tuesday!

Well said Mr. Banjo. Hopefully on Tuesday!
    Fingers X’d

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    I dont know if he will take us up I hope so but percentage wise if I say no I am more likely to be right.

As I said the structure should be questioned not just the coach it is well documented that head of recruitment is in charge of player signings.

So if you are the coach but your transfer team buy duds is it your fault if they cant do the basics ??

When Cameron Rawlinson and Lacey are back we'll look stronger at defending as they are proper CBs with experience.

The biggest concern for me is our fans turning on the owners as if they walk we have no idea what will happen.

I think we do need a Ravenhill / Bishop type midfielder but I cant change that.
    I think people are being harsh with recruitment

Cameron, Palmer, Roberts, Rodrigues all look very good for this level, I think the Palmer signing is just as much of a coup as some of the big money striker signings teams made this summer, he looks way above this level, I saw someone sum him up with "he's the player Jake Reeves thought he was"

We don't know about Vincent yet, Francis is a weird one, I think he'll be a good player but he's not ready yet and needs to iron out the mistakes in his game, he shows glimpses though.

Kairo Mitchell people either think is god awful or really good but I think he's got all the attributes, big, quick, strong, runs at defenders, but I don't think we'll see the best of him out on the left.

Aaron Nemane looks like a good addition in the time we've seen him and more than capable of stepping up and being a threat going forwards if Roberts is out again or we can try and fit them both in for the most attacking right side possible

I'd say there's certainly been far more good signings since the Reedtz brothers arrived than there have been poor ones, which was never usually the case in previous years, you used to hope you'd get 1 decent player in a pre season of signing about 18

Ignoring all the understandable doom and gloom after getting thumped 4-1 at home it seems to me that our simple main objective following yesterday is to turn those first 70 minutes into 90+ minutes of performance.

On another point, for those that attended, how did Vincent look in his brief time on the pitch?
    I think he only touched the ball a couple of times to be honest, but kept possession both times so better than Jim O'Brien was doing

See the party whips are setting to work

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    See the party whips are setting to work
    They have to when the Rollercoaster fans bring our their pitchforks after back to back defeats.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast