+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The strange drug.

The strange drug.

Football. Weird isn’t it. How we feel with a baggies win versus how we feel with a loss. It can make or ruin a weekend and what for? What are any of us really expecting? We can cheerfully ignore the fact that Man Utd can lose a match even with Ronaldo in the team and pots of money thinking that we should never lose a match. We know it happens to the best, that includes Brazil and Barcelona. So what is it all for? A passion for sure but also as shallow as it gets in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Football. Weird isn’t it. How we feel with a baggies win versus how we feel with a loss. It can make or ruin a weekend and what for? What are any of us really expecting? We can cheerfully ignore the fact that Man Utd can lose a match even with Ronaldo in the team and pots of money thinking that we should never lose a match. We know it happens to the best, that includes Brazil and Barcelona. So what is it all for? A passion for sure but also as shallow as it gets in some ways.

I still have great weekends regardless as it’s only football when you put it into context. With a weak squad it’s great to see Val doing so well as after all - we don’t expect Barcelona football but hey some do!

Some even expect Livermore to be the next Mulumbu and Hugill to be the next Gayle but hey pigs fly unless they are on the Sunday roast!

Pullis weaned me off my football addiction, to be honest it was more “cold Turkey” than being weaned.

My day or my weekend is no longer governed by an Albion result in the way it was for 45 years.

I don’t give a defeat much beyond a second thought these days.

The combination of Pullis and a terrible owner left me with the mindset that their were more important things in life to waste my energy on.

Maybe a stellar owner and thoughts of an exciting era might lift me but I’ll never attend many games again.

I think it’s a bit like s e x, the memories of the past are better than the present day reality.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Pullis weaned me off my football addiction, to be honest it was more “cold Turkey” than being weaned.

My day or my weekend is no longer governed by an Albion result in the way it was for 45 years.

I don’t give a defeat much beyond a second thought these days.

The combination of Pullis and a terrible owner left me with the mindset that their were more important things in life to waste my energy on.

Maybe a stellar owner and thoughts of an exciting era might lift me but I’ll never attend many games again.

I think it’s a bit like s e x, the memories of the past are better than the present day reality.

The last sentence is complete b ollox Mick!! Try telling that to SAGA tourists who go to Benidorm (SAGA standing for *** and games for the aged ). They are rampant ask Des!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    The last sentence is complete b ollox Mick!! Try telling that to SAGA tourists who go to Benidorm (SAGA standing for *** and games for the aged ). They are rampant ask Des!

I’d completely disagree mate, thinking back to those nubile wenches I arched during that period........😏😎

🤦*♂️ My mistake for using the word passion 😂

i always say that the Albion and my ***** have given me some of the greatest moments and memories I have but on the other hand they both have given me some untold misery and despair.

My passion for Football and the Albion has never waived, for over 60years I’ve been playing then watching football absolutely love it. Hate it when we lose, Hated the Pulis years and survived them the 80’s were dreadful but I was there along with other stupid diehards.

When we were dreadful in the 80's and 90's I someone how felt the Albion needed the likes of me and if I gave up on them what hope was there? It was a matter of great pride to me all my kids started at Baggies (for 2 of them their 1st match was in the 3rd Division.) Now I feel they need the TV money. I am a very poor 2nd at best.

I think I was Pulisised like Mick. We moved out of the area when I was eleven and spent 50 years travelling via train and bus from Gloucester to the Hawthorns, then once I could drive up the M5 missing very few Saturday home games and not many evening ones either. I haven't been for 4 years now, prefer staying home with my wife. I doubt I will ever come to another game. Still follow the results and catch what I can on TV but that's it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)