+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Magpie circle podcast YouTube

"At the top of the episode he says something about not going over the top about Burchnall either way."

Does that apply to every episode since his Altrincham preview last season or was this just a one off?

He's just a fan indeed, maybe someone who regular comments on there could remind him.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    No, I'm not. I watch youtube without being logged in.
    I very rarely watch his match preview shows but enjoy his chats with ex-players and his book was excellent.
    Fair play mate. I just think that if you put yourself out there with a podcast, ask the club for access to the players and then make contentious statements...you have to be prepared for people calling out your bullshizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Mace seems to me to be a bit of a snake to me. Let's remember he was on the board whilst Hardy pretty much burnt us to the ground and only left when the club was put up for sale.
    Absolutely 100% on the money, I’m so pleased I’m not the only one that sees this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_OTF View Post
    Not sure how anyone takes Mace seriously. The guy is on a permanent ego stroking trip. Because he's worked in football and in the know.

His hatchet job on IB struck me as sour grapes because he's not a traditional football guy. Like his boardroom chums and old school way of thinking.
    He’s as close as you will get to Alan Hardy with his ego.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    He can't make a sweeping statement that IB isn't liked or respected in the National League based on a chat with his chum. Fake news!
    I watched previous episodes of Magpie Circle and really enjoyed them - especially the Martin Allen one - but this one seemed to be a vehicle for whatever issue Paul Mace seems to have developed against Ian Burchnall. The jibes about IB not being popular with others in the league and being lucky to have the job come across to me as cheap shots, and Mark Stallard seemed a little embarrassed at times that the presenter was trying to drag him into sharing such a jaundiced view of the manager, which I don't think Stall does.

I've got my own concerns about whether IB can produce enough results with the type of football he wants to play, and by all means judge him on results, but at no point have I found him arrogant or dismissive. I think IB generally gives polite, honest and direct answers to questions. For example, by saying 'we knew what Woking were about', IB was giving his assessment of the way they play, which you can agree or disagree with, but I don't see any reason why Mace should be apologising to his mate Martin Tyler and inferring that those remarks were intentionally derisive. What the podcast does tell me is that the presenter is very keen to mark himself out as somebody important and 'in the know' in the football industry, and perhaps very old school in his views.

As I said earlier in the thread, I couldn't care less if our manager is unpopular or not with certain colleagues. Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce aren't everybody's cup of tea but so what? Yes, IB hasn't got their record of achievements behind him (yet) but why should that stop him from expressing himself in the way that best suits him? I actually think IB gives calm and courteous interviews and talks mainly about his own team rather than the opponent, unless he's asked directly about them.

I don't know where Mace's antagonism towards IB comes from, but it's very poorly disguised and a bit unnecessary tbh, picking on his personality rather than his methodology.
    Last edited by jackal2; 10-10-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I watched previous episodes of Magpie Circle and really enjoyed them - especially the Martin Allen one - but this one seemed to be a vehicle for whatever issue Paul Mace seems to have developed against Ian Burchnall. The jibes about IB not being popular with others in the league and being lucky to have the job come across to me as cheap shots, and Mark Stallard seemed a little embarrassed at times that the presenter was trying to drag him into sharing such a jaundiced view of the manager, which I don't think Stall does.

I've got my own concerns about whether IB can produce enough results with the type of football he wants to play, and by all means judge him on results, but at no point have I found him arrogant or dismissive. I think IB generally gives polite, honest and direct answers to questions. For example, by saying 'we knew what Woking were about', IB was giving his assessment of the way they play, which you can agree or disagree with, but I don't see any reason why Mace should be apologising to his mate Martin Tyler and inferring that those remarks were intentionally derisive. What the podcast does tell me is that the presenter is very keen to mark himself out as somebody important and 'in the know' in the football industry, and perhaps very old school in his views.

As I said earlier in the thread, I couldn't care less if our manager is unpopular or not with certain colleagues. Neil Warnock and Sam Allardyce aren't everybody's cup of tea but so what? Yes, IB hasn't got their record of achievements behind him (yet) but why should that stop him from expressing himself in the way that best suits him? I actually think IB gives calm and courteous interviews and talks mainly about his own team rather than the opponent, unless he's asked directly about them.

I don't know where Mace's antagonism towards IB comes from, but it's very poorly disguised and a bit unnecessary tbh, picking on his personality rather than his methodology.
    IB hasn't got their record of achievements behind him (yet)
    And he never will no matter how long he's a coach for

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Maybe. But he has coached against the international players of Malmö and Rosenberg and various other Europa League standard teams. He also returned from Scandinavia with a decent reputation over there by all accounts.

That's more than the Cowley's had achieved when they went to Lincoln?

It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever that he never played the game. He's spent the last 15 years honing his craft at various levels and was brave enough to do it in two other countries. He deserves our respect.

Neither you nor I know that. We may have opinions based on what we've seen so far, but only time will tell what he'll ultimately achieve. It's absolutely true that IB will be judged on results, just like all managers, but my issue with this podcast is the attempt to present hearsay mixed with opinion, citing some sort of 'industry view', as an attack on IB's personality.

I've not watched an offering from Paul Mace since the hatchet job he did on IB after the Altrincham game. It seems from this thread that he's still at it.

I much prefer the NottsCountyTalk podcasts. The lads on that are my idea of supporters and my two great granddaughters (8 & 10) love their reports and are big IB fans, whereas they hated the way Mace found it necessary to repeat everything when we used to watch him.

How do you arrive at that assumption, because it is an assumption?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast