+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot - Fury v Wilder

I do try not to do this yesteryear comparison thing because athletes today are so much fitter and coached .

However I make an exception with boxing because I'm not so sure today's methods are superior to yesteryear .

Boxing is far more sanitised than it was all those years ago which is understandable given the dangers .

With all the different federations it's created far more mediocrity in my opinion .

Can anybody say Sugar Ray Leonard , Marvin Hagler , Roberto Duran and Tommy Hearns wouldn't be champions today ?

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyDaft View Post
    17 stone 6"7 of pure knockout power was still not big enough.... the guy is just too big. Added to that chin so if you do hit him. Big get gets up gets mad and hits you harder..... infront of a arena full of Americans supporting wilder.. history books getting rewritten as we speak..
    If fury isnt in the top 3 of all time its a fix
    I get all that power BD it's a fair point but would Ali and Frazier let him use it .

Look what Ali did to Foreman .

I do love Ali too. But this fury guy is just different.. untill fury a big heavyweight was 17 stone... anything bigger made them slow... But this bloke can move.
    Ali was my size 6"3 big old difference fighting someone that big. Pure horsepower... im 49 now and im confident ill never see anyone as good in my lifetime..
    I once hade a karate fight against a 6"7 bloke. There just too big.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I do try not to do this yesteryear comparison thing because athletes today are so much fitter and coached .

However I make an exception with boxing because I'm not so sure today's methods are superior to yesteryear .

Boxing is far more sanitised than it was all those years ago which is understandable given the dangers .

With all the different federations it's created far more mediocrity in my opinion .

Can anybody say Sugar Ray Leonard , Marvin Hagler , Roberto Duran and Tommy Hearns wouldn't be champions today ?
    Very good points raised there Animal and I agree there's too many federations which does give a misconception to who is genuinely the best or world class.

Let's face it, Frank Bruno as much as we all loved him was once a heavyweight title holder. Don't get me wrong, it deserves respect but we all knew deep darn that although he was up there and a high ranked contender throughout his career, he couldn't live with the very best at the time. He was painfully exposed against the very best. His second bout with Mike Tyson made me feel sick because he took such a beating. Had there been one belt Bruno would never have gotten his gloves on it imo.

Brilliant fight. Over the moon for Fury who’s pulled himself back from the brink.

Definitely a great film could be made about his life. He’ll go down in history as one of the greats

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Brilliant fight. Over the moon for Fury who’s pulled himself back from the brink.

Definitely a great film could be made about his life. He’ll go down in history as one of the greats
    Aye that'd be an amazing film ESR. His popularity seemed to soar when his mental health issues and recovery became public. He's an inspiration. I've listened to him many a time and he's as honest as they come, darn to earth and he's very endearing. To get to where he is from 3 years ago is unbelievable. He deserves to be knighted imo.

Am I the only one then who thinks he/Fury is a moronic waste of fresh air ?.
    Im not particularly a boxing fan, but I always watched when it was people like Eubank and Naseem in the hope that they would get hammered, and thats the only reason I watch Fury as well.
    I don't mind Joshua but he seems to have had his day already, and I hope he doesn't turn out to be another sad former heavyweight like Bruno, who goes on too long and makes too many comebacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Am I the only one then who thinks he/Fury is a moronic waste of fresh air ?.
    Im not particularly a boxing fan, but I always watched when it was people like Eubank and Naseem in the hope that they would get hammered, and thats the only reason I watch Fury as well.
    I don't mind Joshua but he seems to have had his day already, and I hope he doesn't turn out to be another sad former heavyweight like Bruno, who goes on too long and makes too many comebacks.
    Yes you are .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Yes you are .
    So who next for the wannabe traveller.
    Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Barry McGuigan, or even Mike Tyson so it could be Tyson v Tyson.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    So who next for the wannabe traveller.
    Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Barry McGuigan, or even Mike Tyson so it could be Tyson v Tyson.
    His traveller status is neither here nor there he isn't some clown who performs in American wrestling .

He's worthy of respect for what he's achieved .

Is he one of the all time greats ?

That's the conversation .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast