+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is there any point of playing tippy tappy football in tier 5?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2 second half goals against Aldershot and the O'Brien dissallowed one (so 3) and we scored in the 41st, 45th and 57th minute against Wealdstone. It's easier said than done to capitlise on it but give me the chances created under Burchnall any day over managers like Fullerton and Ardley being conservative and respecting the point (or the narrow defeat in Fullarton's case).

With some patience this team will only get better imo, ripping everything up and starting from scratch like we did (twice) under Nolan, Kewell and Ardley is how you end up in non league.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    2 second half goals against Aldershot and the O'Brien dissallowed one (so 3) and we scored in the 41st, 45th and 57th minute against Wealdstone.
    True, but we also conceded 4 late goals to Woking, and 3 to 10-man Halifax. I prefer Burchnall to Fullarton and Ardley, but in my opinion the theory that our passing game leaves teams exhausted half way through is just a myth.

Is the issue the style of play or how we are executing in the final 3rd? My take on this season is that we wouldn’t be too bothered by the ‘build from the back’ approach or the less than Stella defence if we were cutting up front. All very well having ‘the most touches in the opposition box’ but where’s all the goals to go with it? Maybe one for our resident statisticians - a league table of possession/final third entries/touches in the opposing box v expected goals. I’d expect the latter to be nowhere in the rankings? I’m all for training ground ‘muscle memory’ but at times this year it’s been like watching me on fifa ‘95 trying to score the same goal* over and over which is too predictable and easy to defend.

*and not sure we’ve scored one of those yet either…

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    True, but we also conceded 4 late goals to Woking, and 3 to 10-man Halifax. I prefer Burchnall to Fullarton and Ardley, but in my opinion the theory that our passing game leaves teams exhausted half way through is just a myth.
    I agree, the opposition are happy for us to pass it sideways and back in our own half they don't have to run around and chase anything.
    Us scoring goals in the second half is mainly down to IB changing the formation or making substitutions.