+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interest in our players

Obviously nobody wants to see their best players leaving, but to be honest, it’s great to see we’ve finally got some desirable assets in the team. Let’s face it, if we didn’t, then the model isn’t working.
    Lacey, Palmer, Vincent, RR, Robert’s, Wootton are all young and look like they could attract attention if they continue to improve.
    I don’t necessarily think, long term, the process will be to sell a player and then replace them. I think we’ll be constantly signing players and the replacements will already be waiting in the wings. We won’t have paid over the odds in desperation, and they won’t need to settle in.
    As fans it’s going to take some adjustment, and the backlash will undoubtedly happen.
    I remember the ‘lack of ambition’ being thrown around the selling of Ben Davies and Alan Judge.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Obviously nobody wants to see their best players leaving, but to be honest, it’s great to see we’ve finally got some desirable assets in the team. Let’s face it, if we didn’t, then the model isn’t working.
    Lacey, Palmer, Vincent, RR, Robert’s, Wootton are all young and look like they could attract attention if they continue to improve.
    I don’t necessarily think, long term, the process will be to sell a player and then replace them. I think we’ll be constantly signing players and the replacements will already be waiting in the wings. We won’t have paid over the odds in desperation, and they won’t need to settle in.
    As fans it’s going to take some adjustment, and the backlash will undoubtedly happen.
    I remember the ‘lack of ambition’ being thrown around the selling of Ben Davies and Alan Judge.
    No sensible fan should be angry and offer a ‘backlash’ IMO.
    Players will always come and go. It’s just this time, we get money for them. That doesn’t happen often so we should definitely take it as positive rather than keep a player for the extra year and lose him for nothing.
    Though I would argue that Notts should not sell anyone in January, but rather do it in the summer. Especially if said player(s) are in the last year of their contract and not looking to extend. We can’t and shouldn’t risk making money from assets just in case.
    If Notts achieve promotion this season then it provides Notts with more pulling power to keep the better players for longer or sell for more money.
    In any eventuality, if the offer is too good to turn down, then every player has his price.

It’s certainly a good conundrum to have.

The business model of the owners will make very little difference to whether or not players are sold or when it happens. Offers will be made because someone with cash wants the player not because we have said we want to grow by selling on. It's not like any other club at our level or above wouldn't be in the same position if their players attract attention.

It's always a position you want the club to be in. I'd always rather be wondering whether the replacements will work out than just trundle along moaning about which players we want to ship out because they aren't good enough. For the first time in years we have players doing well who have long enough left on the clock to be of interest to better teams. At long last it's a sign of upward mobility based on something other than old pros who have a year or so left

I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying that Rodrigues might go to Mansfield, surely that would be a backwards step, smaller club, smaller fan base and cr@p ground.
    I was a little disappointed in Mitchell last night to be honest , I'm not sure what to make of him, Taylor after a indifferent start now looking a really good buy.

If I was RR I'd lose plenty of sleep about a move to Mansfield

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying that Rodrigues might go to Mansfield, surely that would be a backwards step, smaller club, smaller fan base and cr@p ground.
    I was a little disappointed in Mitchell last night to be honest , I'm not sure what to make of him, Taylor after a indifferent start now looking a really good buy.
    Agreed on Mitchell, but he is young and IB has a decent record so far of improving players. He has something but he’s too often on the periphery of the action when he does get on the pitch. The players and staff all talk highly of him so it may just be a case of him finding his feet….it does take some players a bit longer.

Does anyone know what the situation with Lewis Knight is at the minute?

I’d love to know why Leigh is so certain the scouts are there to see Ruben. It’s not like they have to wear signs saying which players they’re interested in. And Rochdale sound like a good young team with some decent players, too.

As for Nigel Clough, maybe he just likes to watch a decent game occasionally (although the Stags do look like they’ve turned a corner now).

We have to wait until January to see the Bros real intent and an indication of how much paper they have stuffed away. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I’d love to know why Leigh is so certain the scouts are there to see Ruben. It’s not like they have to wear signs saying which players they’re interested in. And Rochdale sound like a good young team with some decent players, too.

As for Nigel Clough, maybe he just likes to watch a decent game occasionally (although the Stags do look like they’ve turned a corner now).
    If the same scouts keep turning up at the lane then he is probably putting 2+2 together and RR is most likely.

Truth is there’s tons more money floating around in the national league this year as wage caps have hit the EFL. I’d be much more worried if chesterfield had sent a scout.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast