+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wing backs

Wing backs

Ive said this a few times and still think its true. Good wingers or midfielders are usually technically better than a full back. We have seen the likes of Milner Young Delph all become solid in that position and all technically good. So i think Bailey could become a world class full back. Imagine how good Traore would be. Even Trezigue could be pretty good there. Even Elgazi.

Martinez
    Traore Konza Mings Bailey
    Louis McGinn
    Buender Ings Watkins

Nope, never going to happen, both cannot track back or defend, you have only picked 10 players Bongo, I guess your missing Ramsey??

Yes Ramsey most likely

1. Milner Young Delph lined up as full backs as their effectiveness in more advanced roles waned

2. Traore or Bailey have never played as full backs plus neither defend & currently offer little or no protection to our wing backs

3. What on earth could possibly go wrong with Bongo’s idea of fielding 10 players?

Im not sure about that Freer. I believe Milners best days were at Villa playing futher forward with Petrov sitting deep. Then linking up with Young and Downing.

I agree that fullbacks need defence qualities.

Cash and targett were both quality today !

Agreed, you could see the confidence come back to Targett and Cashki is like a man possessed. Although Young slotted in well when he came on.

Good to see the defense looking a bit more composed, stick with a back 4 in my humble, its pointless trying to play the wing back tactic unless you have wingbacks, we dont, Cashy might be able to play that way but he is the only current fullback we have who can, and none of our wingers have ever shown any predeliction to defensive duties , and before you say it Bongo, Ash is in his mid 30's he aint playing every game, so he doesnt count tactically apart from as a sub, which we saw work yesterday. SG is intelligent enough to know he has to work tactically with what he has for the moment until he can have a proper look at the youngsters coming through, and whats available on the market next year.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)