+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my shame in first

Getting my shame in first

How ridiculous Alex Hales being damned by the Sun as well as the chair of the Azeem Sadiq commons committee for attending a New Years fancy dress party as his hero rapper Tupac Shakur in 2009.

Before it is in the weekend papers can I admit I attended a fancy dress party in 2001 with my Seikh friends dressed by him in one of his turbans and my wife wore a sari.

We also held an Irish supper once one St Patrick’s Day, when all the food had an Irish slant on it and we started with the sweet and ended with the starter.

Can someone please arrange for the Sun to send one of their reporters quickly before anyone else reads this post.

The world has gone mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    How ridiculous Alex Hales being damned by the Sun as well as the chair of the Azeem Sadiq commons committee for attending a New Years fancy dress party as his hero rapper Tupac Shakur in 2009.

Before it is in the weekend papers can I admit I attended a fancy dress party in 2001 with my Seikh friends dressed by him in one of his turbans and my wife wore a sari.

We also held an Irish supper once one St Patrick’s Day, when all the food had an Irish slant on it and we started with the sweet and ended with the starter.

Can someone please arrange for the Sun to send one of their reporters quickly before anyone else reads this post.

The world has gone mad!
    Whenever we have these ‘incidents’ of someone blacking up occurring, there’s a lot of context that goes missing. But the stories always seem to sell and then the cancel culture kicks in. Context is everything but yet imbeciles within the media never see this because the story is a profit.

I dont think anyone trying to look like their music idol is racist, i never saw the problem with this. Surely they are more a fan and not disrespecting, but more respectful and trying to be like their idol. I think some years ago in spain 2 fans got in trouble blacking up for Hamilton. They said they were fans of Hamilton, I can’t remember the outcome.

The problem is when those try to do something like blacking up and using racial stereotypes which don’t sit comfortably with the black community. And lest admit, don’t you think black people have had the most appalling form of racism known to mankind? Yes. Over generations the pain and suffering will no doubt make them defensive, so I see this side to their argument. What might seem right to us may not be to those from those backgrounds. Context is everything.

I’ve seen many people try to be Morgan Freeman on nights out (embarrassingly bad attempts) but they did it because the are a fan not a hater.

Divide and conquer in the media again… it seems to work.

I think the thing that gets missed her again is intent

If you are dressing up as someone then surely looking like them is something that you should do right?

Can’t say I’ve ever been offended by this, if you dressed up and went round behaving a certain way and belittling the person or their ethic group that’s a pi55 take and shouldn’t happen

But simply going for a likeness that’s not offensive

Years ago the football team I was playing for held their Christmas get together. A meal and a disco etc. Well into the night some of the lad disappeared and then suddenly the DJ announced Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome The Drifters. These lads had put suits on and blacked up and mimed to a medley of Drifters hits. They had rehearsed moves and learned all the lyrics and did a brilliant job. Everyone black and white thought they were fantastic that they had taken the time to set this up. Totally harmless fun. These lads loved the Drifters. They were not taking the p*ss out of black people or culture. I wonder if any of them are getting worried that the Woke Cancel Culture will be coming after them.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    I think the thing that gets missed her again is intent

If you are dressing up as someone then surely looking like them is something that you should do right?

Can’t say I’ve ever been offended by this, if you dressed up and went round behaving a certain way and belittling the person or their ethic group that’s a pi55 take and shouldn’t happen

But simply going for a likeness that’s not offensive
    Totally agree BS although I have to admit that neither my wife, nor I, added anything to our face to look more like our friends. We were limey white dressed up to look more Sikh thanks to the help of our Sikh friends of over 30 years.

Always loved The Two Ronnies.

Anyone on her think they were racists?

https://youtu.be/32ePC-uVKFI

The woke brigade have also had a go at stopping some Morris men blacking up; it is usually ‘border Morris’ that black up and it had nothing whatever to do with race, it was done as a disguise to protect themselves against the powers that be at that time who deemed Morris dancing to be a form of begging. Many Morris sides have had to abandon ‘blacking up’. Ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    The woke brigade have also had a go at stopping some Morris men blacking up; it is usually ‘border Morris’ that black up and it had nothing whatever to do with race, it was done as a disguise to protect themselves against the powers that be at that time who deemed Morris dancing to be a form of begging. Many Morris sides have had to abandon ‘blacking up’. Ludicrous.
    A lot of the woke brigade just expose their lack of cultural nouse by calling for certain things to change. As you say, the blacking up of Morris Men has nothing to do with racism but everything to do with historical context.

My partner lives in Bewdley. The Black Boy Inn has stood there for 600 years and had he same name for over 200 years. That was until recently when the BLM movement put it on their list. Against peoples wishes the brewery caved in and it's now The Bewdley Inn.What BLM failed to grasp is that the town has strong links to the English Civil War.

Bewdley was a Royalist town due to the towns allegiance to King Charles 2 and there were several pubs with this name one still being here. The term came from the Kings mother who called it him as a term of affection due to his dark complexion and dark hair. Apparently its now racist despite having nothing whatsoever to do with black people in any context.

Think about anarchy. Anarchists want to break down society, Black Lives Matter is an anarchistic organisation, so why in God’s name do the media and sports ally themselves to such a group? The words are the same so the connection is inevitable. The campaign against racism has been hijacked by anarchists, as they did regarding the ‘gay’ movement. Society is being manipulated and is gradually succumbing to the propaganda. Yes, racism is bad and should be called out when it occurs but to trawl back years and force grovelling ‘apologies’ fro the victims is just plain ridiculous. Racism has been rife in the World ever since man walked upright on two legs and to think that the current woke brigade (anarchists) are going to eradicate it is somewhat fanciful; what they really want to eradicate are the standards within society, that’s what anarchists try to do.

Please note that the above text is devoid of paragraphs purely for Mick’s benefit!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post

Think about anarchy. Anarchists want to break down society, Black Lives Matter is an anarchistic organisation, so why in God’s name do the media and sports ally themselves to such a group?

The words are the same so the connection is inevitable. The campaign against racism has been hijacked by anarchists, as they did regarding the ‘gay’ movement.

Society is being manipulated and is gradually succumbing to the propaganda. Yes, racism is bad and should be called out when it occurs but to trawl back years and force grovelling ‘apologies’ fro the victims is just plain ridiculous.

Racism has been rife in the World ever since man walked upright on two legs and to think that the current woke brigade (anarchists) are going to eradicate it is somewhat fanciful.

What they really want to eradicate are the standards within society, that’s what anarchists try to do. Please note that the above text is devoid of paragraphs purely for Mick’s benefit!

Formatted for you Mike. We have to maintain certain standards. As without certain standards there'd be...... anarchy 😊 .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)