+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We can strengthen the squad in January and thus avoid relegation?

We can strengthen the squad in January and thus avoid relegation?

Supporters seem to believe that in January there will be opportunities to strengthen the squad. That is of course true. Then we shall climb the league table. But what they are ignoring is the simplistic fact that every club in this league will be able to strengthen.

So, let's examine the current bottom three clubs. Which has the best chance of strengthening the squad most? Well, the club with the most money can do best in this respect. That would seem to be logical. But it is not true. All the bottom three will be desperate not to go down and they may spend more than is wise, leading to serious financial problems. The first priority is to not get relegated. Total financial collapse may not be for another year and might not even occur. The immediate crisis is the prospect of relegation. So in this desperate situation we do not know who has the financial advantage because desperation spending may lead to league two safety but the eventual collapse of the club.

In desperate times Keith Curle at Oldham can find adequate players for no cost. We know that Keith Hill at Sc­unthorpe knows what it takes in this league and also gets that for no cost. Keith Millen does not have Curle's nor Hill's experience of recruiting for this league, so his record is null, neither good nor bad.

Of course there are other teams involved in the struggle and I am just highlighting the current bottom three.

Do not be gagging for January, believing that we can strengthen and escape the drop.

Surely with the skills, nous and financial acumen of Holdsworth to pull us through??

I can only empathise, i have spent many a long night agonising over the plight of relegation descending upon Cambridge many many times. Not any longer.

It hurts, you search for answers, miracle results and goals, miracle rescuers signed in January, a new manager turning things around.

Bargaining with God.

In many ways its the process those diagnosed with a nasty illness go through.

My ability to be entertained diminishes as i get older, i long for the opportunity to be a spectator at the ancient colloseum, and all the mayhem that ensues there. That is impossible, but there is something that can be equated as watching terrible suffering.

And that is the death throes of Carlisle United. Dont take it personally, its just my quirke. Its like a close up of a very large blunt nail being driven into a wrist. It was the wrist, not the palm.

Carry on, Ghislaine.

Spending money is the easy bit,getting the right players is another and neither is a recipe for success,i reckon they will spend very little and get loan players here and there and hope for the best.

The January window comes across to me as panic buying. Have we ever signed a decent player in the January window? Can you name me one?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)