+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Howe - Lute Concerto in D Major / Mood For A Day

Yes, really enjoyed the music, the bar and the sticky floor. I lived down that way for quite a while. Only got back to Cumbria 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post
    Did you ever come across this band Chalky?

Formed in Torquay in 1969.

Wishbone Ash "are noted for their extensive use of harmony twin lead guitar". Andy Powell and Ted Turner.

This track is Blowin' Free from the album Argus (1972). I picked this track because I am hopeful you will like it and..... it is only 5 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXW...gHuzJ0&index=3

and 40th anniversary concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0U-2N3SqyA
    I've heard of Wishbone Ash through reading music magazines but know next to nothing about them

Blowin' Free..

The intro seemed very familiar but maybe that's because it sounds very Proggy but you know what...that song is bloody brilliant,I've played it several times and got into it straight away which doesn't always happen even to songs that become firm favourites,the guitar work is exceptional and although five minutes is about right for most songs I feel that if the guitarists had been allowed 'to let rip' we would have been in for a treat,I would have allowed the song to last seven or eight minutes this time it was that good,it edged slightly towards rock which helped but it proper prog having said that,very good choice howoldboy

Do Griffy and howoldboy have beards because this is how I visualise them now,bit like a northern Bob Harris

No. I use a badger-hair brush and other proper shaving accoutrements. All proper men should.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I've heard of Wishbone Ash through reading music magazines but know next to nothing about them

Blowin' Free..

The intro seemed very familiar but maybe that's because it sounds very Proggy but you know what...that song is bloody brilliant,I've played it several times and got into it straight away which doesn't always happen even to songs that become firm favourites,the guitar work is exceptional and although five minutes is about right for most songs I feel that if the guitarists had been allowed 'to let rip' we would have been in for a treat,I would have allowed the song to last seven or eight minutes this time it was that good,it edged slightly towards rock which helped but it proper prog having said that,very good choice howoldboy

Do Griffy and howoldboy have beards because this is how I visualise them now,bit like a northern Bob Harris
    Same as Griff I'm afraid Chalky.

I bought my badger hair shaving brush in Biella, Italy.

It cost a small fortune but is still going strong (albeit a bit shorter) after many years.

Having said that I also like folk music so I probably should have a beard.

A Trick Of The Tail... Now that's weird,I like to think that I'm quite knowledgeable about music as I've bought albums since I was sixt.een but never heard of this song or album until Griff mentioned it last week, anyroad i've just listened to Johnny Walkers Sounds of the 70's which was aired last Sunday and what does he play but only Trick Of The Tail,does JW read this forum for inspiration? 😲

Probably not Chalky, but he should.

I think that everyone has an idea about what prog is, and I’ve given some of mine up above, but all opinions are welcome. For instance, I’ve never thought of Supertramp as a prog band but others might disagree. I’ve also got this idea in my head that some bands have a prog soul but a commercial management ethic. They come out with tracks which, if amongst an album full of similar tracks, would have the band labelled prog but they never do for purely financial reasons. Take Mountain for example. Listen to their stuff and you’ll probably label them as a rock and roll group, then listen to them doing Nantucket Sleighride (especially live) and you might suddenly change your mind. Worth a listen that track Chalky, and you might recognise part of it from a current affairs programme on ITV back in the 70s and 80s starring Brian Waldron (sp?).

Then look at Creedence Clearwater Revival. Clearly a bayou blues/R&B band but they also did a version of Marvin Gaye’s Heard it Through the Grapevine which lasts nearly a side on vinyl. Done in a guitar-based style but done more with a nod to the blues (not far from soul tbh) it certainly has prog credentials. Even so, can you label CCR a prog band? No.

More listening for you Chalky. Listen to 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson and tell me which recent TV ad pinched part of it.

Sometimes artists do tip their toes into other genres and some have great success like Ray Charles did with country music but then there's artists like UB40 who did the same thing with country and that that album is best shoved under the carpet and forgotten about, I've never thought Supertramp as a prog band but they came up when looking at prog stuff on YouTube,tbh I thought that was American and a bit soft rock like The Eagles or America and was surprised to see that they came from Leicester,maybe their early stuff sounds completely different?

21st century schitzoid man... I've heard this song before but not that version,I've got Black Sabbath in the back of my head for some reason but it will come to me,I gave it a listen but it won't remind me of any advert because I record all of my programs that I want to watch so that I can fast forward through adverts,I don't like seeing those animal charities adverts where they show animals suffering,sometimes there's two or three of them following each other (especially on ITV 2 or 3) and it's very depressing so it's fast forward for me

I've enjoyed listening to Blind Faiths only album today with Can't Find My Way Home and We'll Alright being especially good,music is a never ends to bring joy to me with it's never ending surprised ,I pity those who only stick to one genre of music and dismiss the rest unheard (nobody on here)

I find that listening to Black Lace's 'Agadoo' puts me into a calm, profound Zen mood. There's no need to smoke anything.

Quote Originally Posted by _Stefan_Kuntz View Post
    I find that listening to Black Lace's 'Agadoo' puts me into a calm, profound Zen mood. There's no need to smoke anything.
    I think that you've had enough to smoke already Stefan 😉

Having said that it's horses for courses isn't it,Black Lace may not win as many accolades as their more serious contemporaries but who's bothered at 11.15pm on a Saturday night

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)