+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- formula one

O/T:- formula one

I have just had to sit through a couple of hours of a formula one race at a friends house. I am a neutral and don't follow the sport and after watching this farce I won't be watching it again.
    I am no fan of Lewis Hamilton but he is 12 seconds in the lead with 5 laps to go and then because the safety car comes on after 57 laps they have to race one lap virtually level. What a joke. They seem to make the rules up as they go along.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 12-12-2021 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Corrected Off Topic prefix

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I have just had to sit through a couple of hours of a formula one race at a friends house. I am a neutral and don't follow the sport and after watching this farce I won't be watching it again.
    I am no fan of Lewis Hamilton but he is 12 seconds in the lead with 5 laps to go and then because the safety car comes on after 57 laps they have to race one lap virtually level. What a joke. They seem to make the rules up as they go along.
    I am a formula one fan. And I was in Abu Dhabi on Friday at the first 2 practice sessions.

Something has changed since the passing of Charlie Whiting. Michael Masi seems to think he is a premier league referee and needs to be the centre of attention.

Crashes happen. Safety cars happen, that’s racing. But the rules that apply should not be ignored at the expense of fair competition and on the altar of making things more “entertaining”.

If you are going to decide over 1,000 laps of racing in one lap we may as well just give the points to the pole sitter.

It’s clear since Bernie sold up that “racing fans” are being pushed out at thr expense of perceived “entertainment”.

Have to say I’m not sure I will be attending another Grand Prix. Don’t get me wrong, Max is a worthy winner over a season, we’ll done to him. It’s the fans and that have been cheated in one moment of conceited madness by Masi.
    Last edited by The_Don_ORiordan; 12-12-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Absolutely agree with both posts. There is no credibility left in this dying farce of a sport. I'm no fan of Hamilton , but today he was utterly cheated out of a race be deserved to win as the better driver. He had even been pulling away before the safety car came on. Since the yanks took over the sport it has become another joke like boxing. Won't be long until there is a break away f1

but he is 12 seconds in the lead with 5 laps to go and then because the safety car comes on after 57 laps they have to race one lap virtually level.
    The timing may be unfortunate but that rule although unfair has always been in force. It has probably benefitted both drivers over the course of the season.

Sounded like the rules weren’t used, they let some of the lapped cars back through but not all of them which I can only assume was because the race wouldn’t have had time to start again, feels like he was totally robbed.

:- Sorry Swale

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    The timing may be unfortunate but that rule although unfair has always been in force. It has probably benefitted both drivers over the course of the season.
    Which rule is that?

a) The race continues as is

b) The cars (all the cars) unlap themselves

c) Viewers are to be given a grandstand finale by getting one car behind another, which to my knowledge has never been done in motor racing?

Try interpreting:

39.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the
    message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW
    OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging
    system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the
    lead lap and the safety car.
    This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed
    the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second
    time after the safety car was deployed.
    This is the only procedure I've seen except when there hasn't been time to do it and the cars have finished in a procession behind the safety car.

Masi has just made up a new rule which he hasn't/can't back down from.

I've found it hard enough coping with the tyres deciding races, and then the bullying tactics of diving down the inside whether or not there is room. Note that it would have left Max as champion had he knocked both cars out on the first lap.

Don't think I'll be watching too much next season. I'll go to a fair to watch dodgem cars, or the local tracks to watch go-karts. Is there any stock car racing around? Oh yes - we can see it all now on these contrived and boring new F1 tracks. There can only be one reason to have a race at Saudi and it has nothing to do with the sport Stirling Moss took part in. Abu Dhabi is hardly any better.

Remember that Max made a mistake and hit the wall in qualifying in the last race, and ruined his preferred starting choice of tyres with another mistake in qualifying this race. Not yet the better driver.

Not sure what HAM does to get up people's back, not just on here either.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Which rule is that?

a) The race continues as is

b) The cars (all the cars) unlap themselves

c) Viewers are to be given a grandstand finale by getting one car behind another, which to my knowledge has never been done in motor racing?

Try interpreting:

This is the only procedure I've seen except when there hasn't been time to do it and the cars have finished in a procession behind the safety car.

Masi has just made up a new rule which he hasn't/can't back down from.

I've found it hard enough coping with the tyres deciding races, and then the bullying tactics of diving down the inside whether or not there is room. Note that it would have left Max as champion had he knocked both cars out on the first lap.

Don't think I'll be watching too much next season. I'll go to a fair to watch dodgem cars, or the local tracks to watch go-karts. Is there any stock car racing around? Oh yes - we can see it all now on these contrived and boring new F1 tracks. There can only be one reason to have a race at Saudi and it has nothing to do with the sport Stirling Moss took part in. Abu Dhabi is hardly any better.

Remember that Max made a mistake and hit the wall in qualifying in the last race, and ruined his preferred starting choice of tyres with another mistake in qualifying this race. Not yet the better driver.

Not sure what HAM does to get up people's back, not just on here either.
    Masi's evidence within the decision document is laughably vague and leaves Mercedes plenty of leeway to appeal. They won't win of course. How could the FIA possibly say that the world champion isn't the world champion now, we've changed or mind. It's not going to happen is it?

The radio conversations between Horner and Masi have been fascinating. Red Bull pressured him into changing his mind, not for the first time this season. Hopefully he will be replaced for next season, he has zero credibility now.

I’m not a big Formula One fan at all but watched today as it seemed likely to be an interesting watch. I thought it was basically like WWE - they just manufactured an exciting finish at the expense of the rules.

You're bang on with that Jacob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast