+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Paul McCartney Songs

O/T Paul McCartney Songs

Do you hear anybody say "I just love McCartney songs"? I googled the so called his greatest top 20 songs and they leave me cold I can't find a redeeming feature in any of em. Considering he is a brilliant composer of songs there appears none in his catalogue that I find any good. If you put the Beatles era aside and Live and Let Die what are you left with?

The problem with the Lennon/McCartney years is that from an early age (around 16 I think, so very early on) they agreed to release songs written by either or both of them under the banner of Lennon/ McCartney. Over the years once the Beatles split there were disagreements of who wrote what and what the input of the other was.

Really they only released songs in their own names after The Beatles folded. McCartney mainly initially wrote songs for Wings who were commercially very successful before going solo. Maybe slightly unfair but for me McCartney wrote commercial songs and I have to agree that his post Beatles work is not in the same class as his collaborations with Lennon.

Quite liked Pipes of Peace when it came out. We All Stand Together considerably less so, in fact I wished it had gone back to where it once belonged and always will........ the musical s hit heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Quite liked Pipes of Peace when it came out. We All Stand Together considerably less so, in fact I wished it had gone back to where it once belonged and always will........ the musical s hit heap.
    My love, maybe I’m amazed, band on the run, I saw him in 2003 at n I a and other year at echo arena Liverpool. Yes lots of his solo stuff not in the same league as his Beatles stuff but great live with his band. People of all ages there.think he gets unworthy stick coz he wasn’t the one shot dead..Lennon too was a genius but he wasn’t a nice person at all apparently..

Of all the Beatles, McCartney is probably the most talented musically but have to agree that much of his post Beatle stuff is very "twee" and think he needs the influence of others to balance that side of him, whether that be Lennon whilst in the Beatles, Denny Laine in Wings or his later collaborations with people like Elvis Costello. Seems to be continually in vogue to put the Beatles down and, of course not everything they did was either brilliant or original but cannot think of another band that evolved so much over really such a brief (1962-70) period of time and produced such a variety of work. Certainly a case of a band becoming more than the sum of its parts with J,P,G and R all playing their part and all being integral to their success -alongside producer George Martin. Not a great fan of most of McCartneys solo stuff but most of his albums still contain a couple of tracks I like. A great bass player too, especially once he became influenced by people like James Jamerson.

I liked the early Beatles stuff but not so much when they went psychedelic. Wings, in my opinion, were awful.

The Beatles were more than a band; they influenced society as a whole. Not even Elvis Presley influenced the younger generation like they did. I remember somebody describing them as 'other worldy' which I thought was quite apt. They were right for that moment in time. I agree, that it seems in vogue to knock them now which to my mind is totally unfair. Of course, I didn't rate all of their music but they produced a lot more good stuff than they did bad. I preferred the music prior to Sgt. Pepper and am surprised that so many people rated that as their best album. Latterly, there was the odd good number but there was a lot of dross as well. However, it's all down to taste and I'm sure that many will disagree with me.

I preferred his Wings stuff to The Beatles.

I tend to prefer lesser "popular" Beatles tracks such as "Paperback Writer" to the "Get Back/HeyJude" stuff.

Always loved "Band On The Run" and "Jet" and for me "Mull Of Kyntyre" brings back youthful memories and because I love the 70's it's just something that evokes great memories for me.

I'm probably one of the very few who like some of Ringo's solo stuff.

"It Don't Come Easy" is a track I've always loved along with "Peaches And Cream" and a more recent song called "Liverpool 8" about his early life in that postcode.

I've always felt that if I'd been a Beatle then Ringo is the one I'd like to have been. Never took himself too seriously and seems to have enjoyed his life and at 80+ he still looks really good.

Liverpool 8 if you've never heard it.

https://youtu.be/D98quoAcWnI

I didn’t like any Wings stuff, especially that awful dirge Mull of Kintyre; I sadly remember the video, band walking along a beach miming the aforementioned dirge. McCartney is undoubtedly a talented musician but he has come out with some dreadful rubbish, in my opinion.

i say thank goodness The Beatles came along and changed music from the old regime drivel of the crooners and bloody Elvis Presley. I still remember hearing Please Please Me on the radio and being wowed by that sound. But in 1964 I heard Bob Dylan's Positively Fourth Street and I never bought or liked another Beatles record again. The American West Coast bands totally won me over. Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane etc and one of my all time favourites New York's Velvet Underground. I still listen to all those bands most days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)