+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Paul McCartney Songs

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I preferred his Wings stuff to The Beatles.

I tend to prefer lesser "popular" Beatles tracks such as "Paperback Writer" to the "Get Back/HeyJude" stuff.

Always loved "Band On The Run" and "Jet" and for me "Mull Of Kyntyre" brings back youthful memories and because I love the 70's it's just something that evokes great memories for me.

I'm probably one of the very few who like some of Ringo's solo stuff.

"It Don't Come Easy" is a track I've always loved along with "Peaches And Cream" and a more recent song called "Liverpool 8" about his early life in that postcode.

I've always felt that if I'd been a Beatle then Ringo is the one I'd like to have been. Never took himself too seriously and seems to have enjoyed his life and at 80+ he still looks really good.

Liverpool 8 if you've never heard it.

https://youtu.be/D98quoAcWnI
    Despite the frequently lauded Lennon and McCartney (admittedly for pretty obvious reasons &#128512 my own favourite Beatle is probably George . Now, to be fair, nice guy persona and underrated drummer as he might be, Ringo hasn't got the greatest of voices but he did have his own period in the 7Os where (with a little bit of help from is ex-bandmates) he had a few decent songs and I quite like stuff like Photograph, It Don't Come Easy, I'm the greatest and even the No no song. Could have probably been a half decent actor if he wanted too at one point. As you say, looks fit for his age and still tours with his All Starr Band I believe.

Once saw McCartney live in the intimate surroundings of a charity dinner at Battersea Power Station. Only a few hundred people there so you could get down the front and watch him perform Yesterday, Hey Dude, Get Back, Band on the Run, Jet and so .... literally a few feet away .... was the concert of a life time .... will never forget it. Appreciated what a talented musician, singer, writer and performer he is. Only downside was the dinner menu that night was Vegan in honour of Linda.

I think his post-Beatles stuff was pretty good up until the mid-80s where he tailed off. Saw the latest Peter Jackson Beatles film recently ... follows how the Beatles made Let it Be from the characterless Twickenham studio to the studio in Savile Row where they did the roof top concert. You can see how McCartney was the Beatles driving force over the later years of the band. Worth a watch if you are a Beatles fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Despite the frequently lauded Lennon and McCartney (admittedly for pretty obvious reasons ��) my own favourite Beatle is probably George . Now, to be fair, nice guy persona and underrated drummer as he might be, Ringo hasn't got the greatest of voices but he did have his own period in the 7Os where (with a little bit of help from is ex-bandmates) he had a few decent songs and I quite like stuff like Photograph, It Don't Come Easy, I'm the greatest and even the No no song. Could have probably been a half decent actor if he wanted too at one point. As you say, looks fit for his age and still tours with his All Starr Band I believe.

George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" is in my all time top ten songs and is one of five songs I want played at my funeral.

I don't want any hymns at all and no sermon from a vicar who's never met me.

I'm just going to request that anybody that turns up to make sure I am actually dead sits there and listens to the songs that made me the happiest ( and saddest ) and thins of me for just a few minutes.

1/ Coffin arrival - Man Of The World by Fleetwood Mac.

2/ Giving It All Away - Roger Daltry.

3/ More Than A feeling - Boston.

4/ Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd.

5/ My Sweet Lord - George Harrison as the coffin disappears and everyone files out.

Sorry to highjack this with maudlin thoughts, the mention of "My Sweet Lord" brought this to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" is in my all time top ten songs and is one of five songs I want played at my funeral.

I don't want any hymns at all and no sermon from a vicar who's never met me.

I'm just going to request that anybody that turns up to make sure I am actually dead sits there and listens to the songs that made me the happiest ( and saddest ) and thins of me for just a few minutes.

1/ Coffin arrival - Man Of The World by Fleetwood Mac.

2/ Giving It All Away - Roger Daltry.

3/ More Than A feeling - Boston.

4/ Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd.

5/ My Sweet Lord - George Harrison as the coffin disappears and everyone files out.

Sorry to highjack this with maudlin thoughts, the mention of "My Sweet Lord" brought this to mind.
    Man of the world by Fleetwood Mac- now there is a classic song if ever there was! Alongside Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah one of the most moving records of all time imho. My uncle used to both make and set up guitars and he set up the famed Les Paul for Peter Green prior to him recording Albatross. This remained a favourite record of his and he had it played at his funeral. The guitar then passed to Gary Moore and I believe James Hatfield has it now.

I don't think any of The Beatles topped their time in the group after going solo.

Macca gets stick (quite rightly) for some real middle of the road *hite like Mull of Kintyre & We all Stand Together but I'm surprised no one has commented on John Lennon's stuff he did with Yoko where she basically wails whilst he plays. Truly the most self indulgent piece of rubbish ever put out IMO.

I have George's Best Of that covers the Dark Horse period and that has some good stuff on it. Ringo to his credit knew his limitations and started the All Star Band. There's a very good 3 CD anthology out there containing some seriously good musicians mostly playing tracks their famous for such as Peter Frampton, Joe Walsh, Jack Bruce, Gary Brooker and the list goes on.

I was a big Beatles fan since I was eight. When they split I bought McCartney, Ram, Band on the Run and Wings at the speed of sound. Out of those Band on the Run was considered the best by the critics, but after the first two tracks the rest of it was very bland.
    I bought Lennon's Imagine album and again after the title track everything else was run of the mill.
    They definitely worked better together probably because they were competing as well as collaborating with each other.
    I do like some of McCartney's singles such as My Love, C Moon, Live and Let Die, We All Stand Together and Mull of Kintyre, but the rest are poor including the Christmas song.
    I believe we are all at our peak in our twenties and you set a bar that can't be reached when older.
    The Rolling Stones haven't had a number one since 1969.
    Pack it in lads.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    I don't think any of The Beatles topped their time in the group after going solo.

Macca gets stick (quite rightly) for some real middle of the road *hite like Mull of Kintyre & We all Stand Together but I'm surprised no one has commented on John Lennon's stuff he did with Yoko where she basically wails whilst he plays. Truly the most self indulgent piece of rubbish ever put out IMO.

I have George's Best Of that covers the Dark Horse period and that has some good stuff on it. Ringo to his credit knew his limitations and started the All Star Band. There's a very good 3 CD anthology out there containing some seriously good musicians mostly playing tracks their famous for such as Peter Frampton, Joe Walsh, Jack Bruce, Gary Brooker and the list goes on.
    Did you see Lennon sing Rock n Roll music with Chuck Berry? Yoko started wailing and Chuck's eye's popped out. When she tried it again they turned her mike off.😂

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Did you see Lennon sing Rock n Roll music with Chuck Berry? Yoko started wailing and Chuck's eye's popped out. When she tried it again they turned her mike off.😂
    There is a bit in the last episode of Get Back when Linda's young daughter, Heather, visits. All the band members seem to accept her and you see her banging on a drum as Ringo is playing for example.A bit later she is sitting next to John and starts wailing into the Mic as they are jamming and Macca goes "oh, look Yoko !" 😁 Even John laughs!

I do feel that Yoko Ono's influence on John Lennon was a big factor in the break up of the Beatles. Her constant presence must have made it difficult for the other three. Perhaps they would have broken up when they did but I do believe that many of their problems were exassipated by her and the somewhat strange life style that they embraced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)