+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Wootton commits

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    I don't get this obsession with Thomas and Dennis. Firstly, we couldn't afford Dennis after parachute payments had finished and they're the wrong age for our recruitment model.

If Dennis and Thomas were in this current squad, would they be getting many minutes on the pitch? I don't think they would as neither are better suited to playing as a lone striker than Kyle.
    Neither would get in our strongest starting line-up. They’d both be better options off the bench than what we have, but clearly were on too much money for that to be a realistic role for either of them.

We should never have let Jimmy Spencer go, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    We should never have let Jimmy Spencer go, IMO
    He was never the same after his season long injury tbf, before that he looked pretty similar to Wootton.

Any talk of a "proven goalscorer" needing to come in if Wootton leaves... Do people mean like Wootton was when we signed him? I think a few people need to go back and remember just how bang average he looked on paper when we signed him from S****horpe, if you could find a thread on here about him signing I doubt there was a great deal of positivity, so theres no reason to expect we won't try to make a similar signing if he needs replaceing. We might have already done that with Kairo Mitchell if he's given a decent chance in the team but thankfully he hasn't been required to play that much as our other options have been fit and working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    I don't get this obsession with Thomas and Dennis. Firstly, we couldn't afford Dennis after parachute payments had finished and they're the wrong age for our recruitment model.

If Dennis and Thomas were in this current squad, would they be getting many minutes on the pitch? I don't think they would as neither are better suited to playing as a lone striker than Kyle.
    The comparison was not as a lone striker but playing alongside KW, KW and WT had a great understanding on the pitch as was seen before WT got injured last season, they were literally tearing up defences.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    The comparison was not as a lone striker but playing alongside KW, KW and WT had a great understanding on the pitch as was seen before WT got injured last season, they were literally tearing up defences.
    I agree on the WT thoughts. As you say him and KW had built a really good understanding and one thing about WT couldn't argue with was his never say die attitude turning lost causes into goal opportunities. However, the fact is we have moved on since then, RR finally got his chance to play as a proper #10 and we have goals in the team from all over the park.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Like Mitchell?? The problem is we need to be building on what and where we are presently, literally taking 2 steps forward and 1 back won’t get us promoted. If KW leaves a proven goal scorer needs to come in at least (personally I’d say we also need to replace Thomas / Dennis we never got round to doing as well) not another Mitchell, Sam or Knight project.
    Possibly Mitchel maybe that is what he will ultimately become we shall see? Far too early to tell.

I can’t see that we would do like Stockport, Wrexham or Cheaterfurlough in terms of going out and spending a load of money on strikers.

I don’t see it as taking two steps forward and one backwards but more about having trust in our recruitment. When I look at the squad and see the likes of Cameron, Palmer and loan players like Patterson, Richardson they are all quality and make us a better team in my opinion. Ruben, Roberts and Wootton the same.

Wootton himself was not a Mullin, Tshimanga or Madden before he joined us, yet I would not deem any of them to be any better at this point in time.

Every player we sign should be a project to develop and improve that’s why we’ve got a head coach who is giving young players a platform to grow. It’s refreshing and I’ve had enough of us signing players over the years based on what they’ve done rather than what they might be able to do.

I’m going to be shot down no doubt but if Wooton actually went in Jan (which I don’t think he will) I actually think Ruben has developed/ matured enough in the last 12 months to actually play as a lone striker. I think he has the all round game to do this now and we do have a couple of quality No10s to support him.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I’m going to be shot down no doubt but if Wooton actually went in Jan (which I don’t think he will) I actually think Ruben has developed/ matured enough in the last 12 months to actually play as a lone striker. I think he has the all round game to do this now and we do have a couple of quality No10s to support him.
    Playing with the false #9? Cal or Zak to play as the #10? Do we prefer a midfield trio of Matty, Frank and Cal or Ed? It certainly gives food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PTID1862 View Post
    Playing with the false #9? Cal or Zak to play as the #10? Do we prefer a midfield trio of Matty, Frank and Cal or Ed? It certainly gives food for thought.
    I was thinking he can actually more or less play the same as Wooton. A big thing he’s improved on for me is holding players off, he wasn’t great at first but you hardly see him robbed of the ball now, he certainly can link up play, works hard, decent in the air and can finish.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Personally i think Ruben is more likely to be sold in January, that's why we have signed Zac Brunt. And he has not come to warm the bench...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast