+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omicron Thread.

Virologists say SARS variants will continue to emerge and could do so for years but it tends to be less virulent. So do we really want to live in a country where the sitting government has the power to issue immediate orders that curtail our most basic freedoms every time something new comes into existence? China could easily create another milder version any time they wish and will on this basis can simply destabilise any Western country.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Virologists say SARS variants will continue to emerge and could do so for years but it tends to be less virulent. So do we really want to live in a country where the sitting government has the power to issue immediate orders that curtail our most basic freedoms every time something new comes into existence? China could easily create another milder version any time they wish and will on this basis can simply destabilise any Western country.
    Doesn't bother me at all Phil. We live in a polar opposite type of country than communist China. If someone's trying to protect my health I don't see them as an enemy. They are protecting me. As for freedoms? Stopping at home more with ipads, TV's, iphone's enough food, is hardly a crushing of freedoms. Being in a prison cell with rats and a pile of slop on a plate pushed under the door, that's an abuse of freedom.

According to what I have read it multiplies seventy times faster than Covid 19, but so far appears to be less severe.
    Let's hope it continues to wane but it will always be more or less with us in one form or another.
    Let's not forget that at it's height Covid was in a mild form for 98% of the population and in severe cases 2%. That's no consolation to people in the 2%.
    I think we are correct in being sensible but the hysteria has been well beyond the actual threat.
    Most people don't know they have it, some have heavy cold symptoms, a fraction are hospitalised and unfortunately there are deaths.
    My concern is for my wife who is Asthmatic.

Let's not forget our brave NHS worker's who for all their devoted attention and bravery got a 1% rise and a round of applause.

And if they aren't double jabbed I imagine they'll be getting sacked off soon as well.

Where are all these fricken cases coming from? The unjabbed don't bother with tests so it must be the jabbed? Could the omicron virus have already been here, like months ago? It was never tested for and was simply discovered recently, infections like this don't pass this quickly, do they? It could be that nearly everybody as got it and If that were the case then it could be the end of the virus?

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Doesn't bother me at all Phil. We live in a polar opposite type of country than communist China. If someone's trying to protect my health I don't see them as an enemy. They are protecting me. As for freedoms? Stopping at home more with ipads, TV's, iphone's enough food, is hardly a crushing of freedoms. Being in a prison cell with rats and a pile of slop on a plate pushed under the door, that's an abuse of freedom.
    That’s really not my idea of freedom… 🤔

Some sorts of ”protection” will cause more health problems than Corona - look at all lockdown countries.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Where are all these fricken cases coming from? The unjabbed don't bother with tests so it must be the jabbed? Could the omicron virus have already been here, like months ago? It was never tested for and was simply discovered recently, infections like this don't pass this quickly, do they? It could be that nearly everybody as got it and If that were the case then it could be the end of the virus?
    Just look at the news these last couple of days, queues around the block at just about every walk in centre as the double jabbed look to get their boosters.

It is acknowledged that 2 jabs are not enough and booster needed, and even then not 100% protected.

Yes some of these have only just had the opportunity to get the booster but so many have been able to for sometime but haven’t bothered, just look at the ages of those in the queue, they are not all under 40, far from it!

There are millions in this country who are not fully jabbed. As at today Govt data shows 25.5 million fully jabbed (incl booster) and over 51 million have had their first jab. In other words only half of the population who have had at least one jab are fully jabbed.

One half of the country pretty well covered, but bot 100%, the other half on reducing levels of protection and in need of further jabs and boosters. The numbers concerned and a variant that is highly transmissible, no wonder the numbers are increasing daily and will continue to do so.

The big question though for me is will it run through to hospitalisations and death. As far as I can see no one knows and therefore we have to either take a chance or play as safe as we can until the evidence emerges, probably sometime in the New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    According to what I have read it multiplies seventy times faster than Covid 19, but so far appears to be less severe.
    Let's hope it continues to wane but it will always be more or less with us in one form or another.
    Let's not forget that at it's height Covid was in a mild form for 98% of the population and in severe cases 2%. That's no consolation to people in the 2%.
    I think we are correct in being sensible but the hysteria has been well beyond the actual threat.
    Most people don't know they have it, some have heavy cold symptoms, a fraction are hospitalised and unfortunately there are deaths.
    My concern is for my wife who is Asthmatic.

Let's not forget our brave NHS worker's who for all their devoted attention and bravery got a 1% rise and a round of applause.
    ”…the hysteria has been well beyond the actual threat.”

That’s almost an understatement Des…

No idea whether this is true or not. Just read an online headline claiming the first person to die of the new variant was an anti vaxer in his 70s.

Edit: as in an unvaccinated anti vaxer.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)