+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.

Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke

What do you think?

There's no way that we are along in the universe,at least I hope not anyway,how would the universe survive with mankind being the predator traveling the galaxy's in future centuries,im quite convinced that one day we will destroy ourselves probably arguing over some unknown planet or star that's stratigraphy important or mineral rich,if there is life out there I feel sorry for the little green sods

* There's no way that we are ALONE in the universe,bloody autocorrect

The universe is nearly 14 billion years old. Our Milky Way galaxy is 13.51 billion years old. Our Solar System is 4.571 billion years old.
    In 13.51 billion years there could have been life in the Milky Way that got much more advanced than we are but it could have been extinguished by any number of causes such as :-
    Large asteroid crashes into a planet.
    Plague kills all life.
    War with very powerful weapons kills everyone, i.e. nuclear weapons on both sides.
    Global warming as on Earth making the planet uninhabitable by life.

So life could have existed in the past but maybe in the relatively short time that we have existed there may be no other life.

When we have been wiped out for billions of years maybe some other life could start up a long way away.

In order to be certain of us surviving for a long time we need to concurrently occupy several planets. So it could be that we are alone now and we need to survive for a very long time in order to co-exist with intelligent life elsewhere in the far future. Finding it may be beyond us for reasons of distance. Nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light. But even if we could travel at the speed of light it would take 100,000 years to cross from one side of the Milky Way galaxy to the other. There may be 2 trillion galaxies, so no matter what technolgy exists distance is significant. There could currently be thousands of planets with intelligent life but each one so far from the other that no two intelligent life forms could meet and even no two intelligent life forms be aware of each other's existence.

I believe that there is intelligent life out there but it may well be so far away that we may never know of it nor it know of us, no matter what technology exists.

If I understand things correctly, the universe is still expanding and has done so since the Big Bang. So, my only question is……what is it expanding into? Infinite empty space? I don't buy it.

Quite, I agree about what is it expanding into. It is doing so at a speed greater than the speed of light. There's absolutely nothing else that can move faster than the speed of light. Stuff in the radio spectrum can move at the speed of light, such as light, radio signals, television signals, radar signals. But nothing with mass can move at the speed of light.

By means of this expansion the distance between stuff at the highest level is getting bigger. Imagine a balloon that has not been inflated. Put two dots of ink on it adjacent to each other. Now inflate it. The dots will get further apart. This applies to the universe expanding.

Does that explain my expanding gut?

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    * There's no way that we are ALONE in the universe,bloody autocorrect
    How true… been watching a great documentary this week that proves this theory..
    Star Trek Voyager 😀

I have a book up stairs about infinity, its called the Infinite book, i cant remember the authors, and im not going upstairs to find out.

It regards to what the universe is expanding into, it suggests, and is highly likely, that the Universe and beyond is infinite. There is a way of testing that. If you imagine a rugby ball, if you measure its edges, a bend will occur in the calculations. No bend has ever been detected in any measurement. Unless of course any measurement has not touched an edge.

Infinity makes sense. You cant make something from nothing. We are here, and because of that the material world has always been here, and always will. We are timeless. I have probably typed this note a million times on a million different planets, material life is a way of making existence more interesting.

After all, what can top Carlisle winning? Personally i am tired of this nonsense, why am i here?, of what use is my life to me? No use, it seems clear to me, with all the evil in the world that i am here for othor people, at no time has my life been about me, its always someone else and their needs. Its like i am furniture, and all i do for others is taken for granted. I even made a living at it.
    And its like trying to fill a bottomless pit.

As for infinity, physical life must be like watching a horror film, or going into hospital for an op, it shakes you up. Without dark there is no light, without suffering there is no appreciation of its absence, which makes sense of Auschwitz, pol pot and stalin etc.

Nay c­unt will ever be able to read The Infinite Book from beginning to end.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)