+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anne- ITV Hillsborough mini series

As you say, sinkov, it was not unusual at all to see the crowd swaying and I had been at Liverpool in January 1956 when Accrington Stanley played them in the FA Cup in front of 48,385 people, the Kop was surely something to behold and, as a 9 year old, I was very happy not to be stood on there.

I spent many an afternoon in the Burnley kop, first when it was at the Cricket field end and then the longside and agree you could be carried off your feet at times but that afternoon in Sheffield was my worst experience ever at a footie match. Perhaps there were fewer barriers but the distances I was carried were incredible, mostly with my feet off the ground. I remember some newcastle supporters at the front of our stand and that didn't help with the to-ing and fro-ing until they were evicted. I'm not short either, a good 6 feet in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    As you say, sinkov, it was not unusual at all to see the crowd swaying and I had been at Liverpool in January 1956 when Accrington Stanley played them in the FA Cup in front of 48,385 people, the Kop was surely something to behold and, as a 9 year old, I was very happy not to be stood on there.
    Our paths crossed once more Sub, my dad took me to that game as well. Liverpool were in the old 2nd Division and my dad told me to watch their left-winger, a certain Billy Liddell, which I did, and can remember being impressed, there was no one like him playing for Accy Stanley.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Our paths crossed once more Sub, my dad took me to that game as well. Liverpool were in the old 2nd Division and my dad told me to watch their left-winger, a certain Billy Liddell, which I did, and can remember being impressed, there was no one like him playing for Accy Stanley.
    He scored both goals in the space of two minutes in the first half that day and that was the final score. Pool played towards the Kop in the second half and Stanley defended for their lives but I can still see the Kop swaying and surging!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)