+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bowel Screening.

Bowel Screening.

Having hit 60 I got sent the screening kit through the post.

Two weeks from sending off the s h I t stick I got my result regardless of the Xmas holidays.

Excellent service and a very worthwhile service I think.

A hesitant moment opening up the envelope for the result but nice to get the result we all hope for.

I believe they have now made this available to a slightly younger age bracket, I’d recommend everyone having it done.

What interested me though was that after 75 you actually have to request this test yourself and it doesn’t automatically happen, it sort of feels like they’re happy to keep you alive until 75 and if you cop for something then it’s just tough luck!

I have a friend of nearly 91 who had polyps removed from his colon at 88 and he’s still going strong.

It doesn’t matter what age you are, if you’re still fit of mind and physically quite mobile then death is something to be avoided and we all deserve the best that screening and early intervention can offer, my friend Derek is a prime example of this.

I hope you lads and lass on here take this simple test when it’s offered to you, just be careful not to let your finger slip when you’re probing for your sample! 😏

A friend in a lab told me story before about a sample he processed before...resulted in the person been diagnosed with distemper....He was referred to a vet......clearly put it up the wrong hole.....

The guy I play golf with is alive due to the ‘poo test’.

He is 73 now but about 5 years ago did his routine test, no medical problems at the time and absolutely amazed when it came back for further investigation. Unluckily for him when they examined further yes he had cancer and to cut a long story short, after a very tough 12 months or so in and out of hospital he was back able to walk and build his strength up again.

He is back playing a full round although to be honest he is pretty shattered at the end but never complains and will forever be thankful for that poo test. Needless to say all of us who play in our group are massive advocates of getting the test done when it is offered.

As an aside one of the guys shaped a small piece of wood to fit in he loo pan to help the process!! Gotta make the most of each opportunity but none of us took him up on the offer of a free trial.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Having hit 60 I got sent the screening kit through the post.

Two weeks from sending off the s h I t stick I got my result regardless of the Xmas holidays.

Excellent service and a very worthwhile service I think.

A hesitant moment opening up the envelope for the result but nice to get the result we all hope for.

I believe they have now made this available to a slightly younger age bracket, I’d recommend everyone having it done.

What interested me though was that after 75 you actually have to request this test yourself and it doesn’t automatically happen, it sort of feels like they’re happy to keep you alive until 75 and if you cop for something then it’s just tough luck!

I have a friend of nearly 91 who had polyps removed from his colon at 88 and he’s still going strong.

It doesn’t matter what age you are, if you’re still fit of mind and physically quite mobile then death is something to be avoided and we all deserve the best that screening and early intervention can offer, my friend Derek is a prime example of this.

I hope you lads and lass on here take this simple test when it’s offered to you, just be careful not to let your finger slip when you’re probing for your sample! 😏
    Are you still running Mick out of curiosity?
    I hope you are brother...cause it is great all round for the holistic approach....I started again after two years..I suffered an ACL damage to my left knee....had damaged earlier when playing football. Hence started running... Am only doing 5k runs for now but feel so much better out for the runs...My speed is not there but my breathing is improving every day.. The SARS-COV2 virus didn't help me either but I wasn't running back then......but so delighted to be back running......My first run about three weeks ago was 5k in about 33 minutes...
    Yesterday did it in 27.55...
    My marathon total is still 10 and I certainly won't be doing anymore...but if I can get to 10K with no knee issues...it will feel for me like a marathon...
    Stay well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Are you still running Mick out of curiosity?
    I hope you are brother...cause it is great all round for the holistic approach....I started again after two years..I suffered an ACL damage to my left knee....had damaged earlier when playing football. Hence started running... Am only doing 5k runs for now but feel so much better out for the runs...My speed is not there but my breathing is improving every day.. The SARS-COV2 virus didn't help me either but I wasn't running back then......but so delighted to be back running......My first run about three weeks ago was 5k in about 33 minutes...
    Yesterday did it in 27.55...
    My marathon total is still 10 and I certainly won't be doing anymore...but if I can get to 10K with no knee issues...it will feel for me like a marathon...
    Stay well.
    Still trying to run Dubs.

So many niggling injuries over the last year though meaning many lost days of training.

Although I’m now past 60 I did manage my normal 4.5+ miles route in 37 minutes in the summer which means my average mile time was still around 8 minutes, apparently only 1% or less of the whole U.K. population can run that fast per mile.

At 57-58 I did test myself and managed a 6.40 mile.

I’ve had a bad Xmas period due to injury and being under the weather a bit so I’m just doing fast walking at the moment and I’ll start adding running over the next week.

What age are you Dubs?

I hope you lads and lass on here take this simple test when it’s offered to you
    I do & heaved a sigh of relief when results come back clear, the other half wasn't so lucky he was diagnosed August 2020 & was due for surgery in November but during pre op tests it was discovered he had a problem with his heart & was told he needed a bypass, after more tests the cardiologist told him his heart was in such a bad state he was unfit for surgery of any sort as basically he would die on the table. He had a stent put in his colon which up to now has been doing its job. He has a scan booked in for next week to see how things are. He's seen/ well spoken to more Dr's in the last 12 months than in all of his 67 years.

What age are you Dubs?
    I am 57 Mick.
    Only took up running after my ACL went bang playing football.....so started late with plain running....But during a match I always recorded at least 10K running in a game....
    My best 5K was 22 mins.
    My best 10K was 46 mins.
    My best Half was 101 mins.
    My best Full was 3:46....
    But just been back our doing something is very uplifting....My first run in two years about 6 weeks ago had me do a 5K (with hill) in 33 mins...this morning the same route I did in 27:55min...so delighted with progress. Tried running last year after my C-19 episode and felt like I had been back smoking 80 cigs a day and ACL was having none of it.

So took to walking....which was fine for a while but like swimming, I found it boring....but stuck with it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    I am 57 Mick.
    Only took up running after my ACL went bang playing football.....so started late with plain running....But during a match I always recorded at least 10K running in a game....
    My best 5K was 22 mins.
    My best 10K was 46 mins.
    My best Half was 101 mins.
    My best Full was 3:46....
    But just been back our doing something is very uplifting....My first run in two years about 6 weeks ago had me do a 5K (with hill) in 33 mins...this morning the same route I did in 27:55min...so delighted with progress. Tried running last year after my C-19 episode and felt like I had been back smoking 80 cigs a day and ACL was having none of it.

So took to walking....which was fine for a while but like swimming, I found it boring....but stuck with it.....
    Even though I got to be a very fit and a very decent runner in my late 20’s I never tackled a marathon Dubs.

I did a half marathon distance in training one day with a mate and I didn’t enjoy it so I wavered that I’d absolutely hate doubling that distance.

My one effort at the half distance was 1.23.

I reckon that at my peak at 29, if I’d done the necessary training I could maybe have broken 3 hours, certainly 3.15.

My best 10k time was 36.05 and again, this was at my peak at 29 but on two bad knees that I had a double cartilage operation on later that year.

In fact, after that race I didn’t run again until almost a year later after those operations at which time a cyst was also removed from my right knee.

I was never the same again, my knees wouldn’t allow the intensity of training I’d done previously.

The next time I tackled a 10k was when I was 33 and it took me 44 minutes and thus the operations cost me more than a minute a mile.

I stopped competing in races and with myself at that point. I had to retrain my brain to accept that I was running for fitness and not to get faster like I had continuously done to that point in time.

I find nowadays that just getting out and doing 5 miles of fast walking or running or a mix of both is enough to relax me and get me through life.

My only regret is that I didn’t wake up to the fact I was a very good body shape ( once I lost weight I carried as a kid ) and that I had the mentality and determination needed to have been a very good runner.

By my late 20’s I had the Seb Coe type of frame, wiry above the waist but muscular thighs and very strong calves and although I’d never have reached international level I feel sure I’d have been a county level runner.

I did one race around Wednesbury which started from a pub called The Midland Vaults I think it was.

It was a 10k competition and I didn’t know the area.

I was with the lead group but felt I wanted to up the pace so I pushed ahead and after a while I found myself at a junction with no signage and no race Marshall’s.

I didn’t know the area so I took a gamble and turned left only to see a minute later that everyone else had turned right!😩

I had to turn around and work my way back which was hell but I still ended up winning the race.

Biggest event I ever ran had over 700 entrants including county runners from all over the country and I finished 4th, I was actually placed 3rd because a junior finished in 3rd and he counted as 1st in his class and adults were measured separately.

Nowadays my main goal is to arrive back home without another injury! 🤣

Even though I got to be a very fit and a very decent runner in my late 20’s I never tackled a marathon Dubs.

I did a half marathon distance in training one day with a mate and I didn’t enjoy it so I wavered that I’d absolutely hate doubling that distance.

My one effort at the half distance was 1.23.

I reckon that at my peak at 29, if I’d done the necessary training I could maybe have broken 3 hours, certainly 3.15.

My best 10k time was 36.05 and again, this was at my peak at 29 but on two bad knees that I had a double cartilage operation on later that year.

In fact, after that race I didn’t run again until almost a year later after those operations at which time a cyst was also removed from my right knee.

I was never the same again, my knees wouldn’t allow the intensity of training I’d done previously.

The next time I tackled a 10k was when I was 33 and it took me 44 minutes and thus the operations cost me more than a minute a mile.

I stopped competing in races and with myself at that point. I had to retrain my brain to accept that I was running for fitness and not to get faster like I had continuously done to that point in time.

I find nowadays that just getting out and doing 5 miles of fast walking or running or a mix of both is enough to relax me and get me through life.

My only regret is that I didn’t wake up to the fact I was a very good body shape ( once I lost weight I carried as a kid ) and that I had the mentality and determination needed to have been a very good runner.

By my late 20’s I had the Seb Coe type of frame, wiry above the waist but muscular thighs and very strong calves and although I’d never have reached international level I feel sure I’d have been a county level runner.

I did one race around Wednesbury which started from a pub called The Midland Vaults I think it was.

It was a 10k competition and I didn’t know the area.

I was with the lead group but felt I wanted to up the pace so I pushed ahead and after a while I found myself at a junction with no signage and no race Marshall’s.

I didn’t know the area so I took a gamble and turned left only to see a minute later that everyone else had turned right!��

I had to turn around and work my way back which was hell but I still ended up winning the race.

Biggest event I ever ran had over 700 entrants including county runners from all over the country and I finished 4th, I was actually placed 3rd because a junior finished in 3rd and he counted as 1st in his class and adults were measured separately.

Nowadays my main goal is to arrive back home without another injury! ��
    Good going...I think my knees had more damage done through football then running..all the twisting and sudden turning on the park...
    You are right to tailor your training to meet your heath needs....Same here...felt at first I couldn't train again if I had nothing to train for but now I absolutely love the simple challenge of pushing the 5K circuit that I do.
    Initially I though covid had reduced my lung capacity by quite a percentage as I was gasping for breath after a few hundred meters...but kept going and all going great again......
    Once I reach my goals with this 5K training...I will hopefully move towards the 10K mark..(which will be like a full marathon now)

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)