+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: For Better, For Worse

For Better, For Worse

For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part.

I remember taking these vows 28 years ago on my wedding day. Being a Burnley fan is in some ways akin to being wedded to the club you have loved and cherished your entire life. At the moment of course we are going through a marital rocky patch. We are worse, poorer and sickly but it is no divorcing matter unless you’re Henry the VIII and fancying someone new. But it isn’t just Burnley is it who you think have let you down? The Premier League itself has become a brothel where money buys you anything and everything. Owners who are corrupt or worse and footballers taking the knee as if they are leading some great crusade. Do they ever look in the mirror and think “what a fraud”? I don’t care much for lectures in morality but if any are to be handed out the fans who are paying to watch this circus have as much right as anyone.

Reality says we are in a bad place. We have just had a right barney with the missus and the only way she is going to come back to us crawling on her hands and knees is to say “ get out from under the bed you f*cking coward!” We might be better off without Dyche, we might be better off in the Championship, I honestly don’t know. I am sure I will be worse off without Burnley. Till death do us part.

That goes without saying, always has, always will.

I remember Supersub6 saying a few years back, he has experienced something like 16/17 relegations and promotions whilst supporting the Clarets.

What comes around goes around eh Supersub6?

The Premier League itself has become a brothel where money buys you anything and everything.

The lot of the plastic fans of the big six love going in the brothels and parting with their wedge to watch their idols prancing around.Ronaldo`s goal celebrations are becoming excruciating to watch.

I was at Bath City at the start of the season. They had a huge flag with some meaningful words printed on it. It read “ Today,Tomorrow, Always”. That’s the way it should be here.

In the early sixties, when I was much younger, we did not have the money to go to many away fixtures. So being football fan we went to Ewood Park (I already have my tin hat on) and watched Blackburn Rovers. I do remember on one day I was asked by a Blackburn supporting friend if the two clubs play each other who will you support, my answer was simply "Once a Claret always a Claret",

Towards the end of last season though I thought about whether I should spend half an hour travelling to watch Burnley or spend forty minutes travelling to watch Manchester City. Although I knew that by going to Manchester I would be better entertained I still chose to go and watch Burnley as I consider myself a Claret. However the teams performance yesterday and whet appeared to be a could not care less attitude of some of our players make you think that loyalty is a one way street.

And the truth shall set you free ( in the words of Jim Carey ).
    A very accurate description Vintage and absolutely on the money - like I’ve said many times before I don’t mind losing and in most cases not being good enough but giving up - letting the opposition run past unchallenged , not tracking back , no heart or passion brings me to exactly where you are in a one sided argument we work hard to survive and pay to watch they work very little get paid a lot as it appeared yesterday without a care

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    And the truth shall set you free ( in the words of Jim Carey ).
    A very accurate description Vintage and absolutely on the money - like I’ve said many times before I don’t mind losing and in most cases not being good enough but giving up - letting the opposition run past unchallenged , not tracking back , no heart or passion brings me to exactly where you are in a one sided argument we work hard to survive and pay to watch they work very little get paid a lot as it appeared yesterday without a care
    Perhaps they see themselves as Premier League quality. SD keeps saying they are. How many PL clubs are knocking on the door to buy our “stars”?

Maybe, because of that, they thought that all they had to do was turn up, being superior to Championship Huddersfield.

Sadly, I think that too many of them think/ know that whatever the performance they will be on next weeks teamsheet!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)