+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hope Springs?

Hope Springs?

I think the management missed a great opportunity yesterday to demonstrate to the Burnley
    fans future intentions-if the team had included 3/4 of from the youth set up
    McGlynn,Helm,Dodgson etc a defeat would have been forgiven and understood.
    Based on the current structure and philosophy it was clear that this wouldn't happen!
    The team was beginning to look more solid with the introduction of Collins, but as soon as
    Tarkowski had completed his suspension he was returned to the side in his place.
    With regard to Roberts,as a right "wing back/midfielder" he HAS to be able to offer more than
    Gudjonsson; yet he is another whose place seems to be guaranteed! (sadly neither were fit
    yesterday)
    A lot of comments have been made with reference to transfers and lack of investment since
    the club were promoted; but whilst I am no fan of the previous board the issue may go
    deeper than we realise.
    When the club were promoted we were told that the style and players would evolve, but a
    number of seasons later we continue to play a style of football that has now "caught up" with
    an ageing and slow squad of players.
    Recruitment began with and continued with a spend of almost 50 million on
    Wells-Lambert-Gibson-Vydra-Hart-Lennon-Stephens most of who spent more time "warming
    the bench (some arrived with injuries and were never fully fit) and that figure doesn't begin to
    factor in wages.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing,but no attempt ever seemed to be made to replace Joey
    Barton (perhaps Drinkwater who everyone knew was a disaster waiting to happen and so it
    proved)
    I would like to hear Mike Garlicks the ex Chairman's view on all this, who since the first
    whisper of ALK has remained mysteriously quiet throughout.
    Maybe based on past experience he wasn't prepared to "open the vault" again and waste
    more money!
    Pace and ALK sanctioned what I believe in Collins,Roberts and Cornet were good and
    exciting investments' but with regard to Cornet I remain convinced he's not and wasn't a
    Dyche type (battling,dour-premier league journeyman player)
    Left to the current playing philosophy its likely that the Cornet money would have been
    invested in more of the same.
    I cling to the hope that the team can produce a miracle and somehow avoid the drop, and if
    as read Newcastle are chasing both Wood and Tarkowski; believe on current performance
    and commitment we couldn't fare any worse without them-the time has arrived (maybe too
    late) for some fresh ideas and maybe a complete restructuring whether we remain in the
    Premier league or not.

you'd like to hear Garlicks view - Plug ?

his view...him a businessman - I would imagine he'll be patting himeslf on the back, and raising a glass to those years of reward - mostly helped along by S.D and the "plan"....and I guess, if the writing wasn't on the wall, then likely he'd lstill be the boss....but they'd've worked it out, seen what was coming and what would be expected of them - but no more room at the inn, even for wriggling....of course, that doesn't help us any....changes that should have been made, weren't , and thats why the arrival of the Mormon business consortiium was for many, a tonic - but could we really expect an immediate transition, well we could...but it wasn't logical, not when Burnley have had years of the same, with a manager thats been at the centre of it...and there's another thing, who's the slow change for, is it more for the manager than the team ?

as he recently said (post Leeds)...

The other responsibility is not to be reliant on Maxwel. When you are a footballer you can’t just look at Maxwel

Before we had Maxwel we had seasons in the Premier League and the players who have got us there, kept us there and kept delivering.

So let’s have it right, there are a lot of good players here who know what life is like without Maxwel so we have to make sure we are performing when he goes away.

Reliant on Maxwell...what does that mean, what are they looking at, and if they are, why is that a bad thing ?
    Well, it could be because they'd like to be free'd up, but again...it'd upset the status quo, the machine think, that without, could prove our downfall, though as were are currently....seems there's nothing to lose, unless losing is the new plan...but at least there's other teams involved in that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

you'd like to hear Garlicks view - Plug ?

his view...him a businessman - I would imagine he'll be patting himeslf on the back, and raising a glass to those years of reward - mostly helped along by S.D and the "plan"....and I guess, if the writing wasn't on the wall, then likely he'd lstill be the boss....but they'd've worked it out, seen what was coming and what would be expected of them - but no more room at the inn, even for wriggling....of course, that doesn't help us any....changes that should have been made, weren't , and thats why the arrival of the Mormon business consortiium was for many, a tonic - but could we really expect an immediate transition, well we could...but it wasn't logical, not when Burnley have had years of the same, with a manager thats been at the centre of it...and there's another thing, who's the slow change for, is it more for the manager than the team ?

as he recently said (post Leeds)...

The other responsibility is not to be reliant on Maxwel. When you are a footballer you can’t just look at Maxwel

Before we had Maxwel we had seasons in the Premier League and the players who have got us there, kept us there and kept delivering.

So let’s have it right, there are a lot of good players here who know what life is like without Maxwel so we have to make sure we are performing when he goes away.

Reliant on Maxwell...what does that mean, what are they looking at, and if they are, why is that a bad thing ?
    Well, it could be because they'd like to be free'd up, but again...it'd upset the status quo, the machine think, that without, could prove our downfall, though as were are currently....seems there's nothing to lose, unless losing is the new plan...but at least there's other teams involved in that equation.

YES
    I would like to hear what he has to say, because above all the fans deserve some explanations; and if nothing else his side of the story too (I still dont like the fact that he remains on the board) but he should show some "b...s" unless ALK are burying him slowly and like other recent employees there he will disappear never to be heard of again!

The problem that SD is missing is that, yes, many of the squad have served us well, but they getting older and appear to have reached their peak of ability in the past.

The squad needs updating with younger potential who are actually given a game! We also need to ensure that only those who want to play for the shirt go out onto the pitch. Players who have said they want to leave or are refusing to sign good contracts should not be in the squad. Give the ones who want to give everything a chance. They couldn’t do any worse.

Following SD’s logic we should ask Andy Peyton and Willie Irvine if they fancy a game. They served BFC well in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    I've done her sister Alice.

I've been there too, all that sand, it was a bit of a grind.

I've been there too, all that sand, it was a bit of a grind.
    I was not talking in the biblical sense kritichris, more in the context that I've visited the place.

So was I BT, euphemisms aside.

So was I BT, euphemisms aside.
    Alice and Hope Springs, are they from Rishton?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)