+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: O/T:- Djokovic

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Fair play to the Australian govt, there is no way on earth the UK govt would have taken such a hardline stance against someone like Djokovic. They’d have found some excuse to let him play. The bloke is a clown who believes in all sorts of pseudoscientific nonsense.

There’s been a load of criticism about how the Aussies have handled Covid, I’ve no idea why it’s been a lot better than us.
    I don't think History will judge any country well in how they handled COVID as the handling of COVID is never what is at stake, what is at stake is money and in many cases how to take advantage of the situation. Never has this been about lives. If it was the west would have been far more generous with assisting third world countries deploy vaccines. Big pharma combined with the media has done a pretty good job of making a few make good coin. That platforms like twitter and pfizer have the same governance and fact checking board ( Thomson Reuters) is something that is not reported much. But its an easy way to discredit people and remove them from peoples reading lists isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I don't think History will judge any country well in how they handled COVID as the handling of COVID is never what is at stake, what is at stake is money and in many cases how to take advantage of the situation. Never has this been about lives. If it was the west would have been far more generous with assisting third world countries deploy vaccines. Big pharma combined with the media has done a pretty good job of making a few make good coin.
    This shows what a sick world we live in:

The pandemic has made the world's wealthiest far richer but has led to more people living in poverty, Oxfam says.

Lower incomes for the world's poorest contribute to the death of 21,000 people each day, a report by the charity claims.

But the world's 10 richest men have more than doubled their collective fortunes since March 2020, Oxfam says.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    This shows what a sick world we live in:

The pandemic has made the world's wealthiest far richer but has led to more people living in poverty, Oxfam says.

Lower incomes for the world's poorest contribute to the death of 21,000 people each day, a report by the charity claims.

But the world's 10 richest men have more than doubled their collective fortunes since March 2020, Oxfam says.
    Whilst not disagreeing with your post, Elite, what have you done personally to redress the balance? I gave £80 for a tent in Afghanistan this week and give monthly to a poor village in Tanzania. People who are not rich by western standards could do so much more to help without damaging themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I don't think History will judge any country well in how they handled COVID as the handling of COVID is never what is at stake, what is at stake is money and in many cases how to take advantage of the situation. Never has this been about lives. If it was the west would have been far more generous with assisting third world countries deploy vaccines. Big pharma combined with the media has done a pretty good job of making a few make good coin. That platforms like twitter and pfizer have the same governance and fact checking board ( Thomson Reuters) is something that is not reported much. But its an easy way to discredit people and remove them from peoples reading lists isn't it.
    I suppose pharmaceutical companies doing well out of a global pandemic doesn’t come as much of a surprise. They do deserve credit for getting the vaccines out so quickly, but there is also an argument that excess profits should be subject to some sort of windfall tax.

The judgment about whether countries have handled the pandemic ‘well’ is relative, combining a mix of cases, deaths, hospitalisations, instances of long covid, how much of a hit GDP has taken and how long it’s taking to get back to ‘normal’. I don’t really know how the UK and Australia match up, but I’d put a fair chunk of my house on who I think has done better. Even taking that into account Morrison does appear to be a bit of a nob.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Whilst not disagreeing with your post, Elite, what have you done personally to redress the balance? I gave £80 for a tent in Afghanistan this week and give monthly to a poor village in Tanzania. People who are not rich by western standards could do so much more to help without damaging themselves.
    I haven't done much sid. As worthy as your donations are, they are a gnat's piss in the ocean to what is really needed. Individuals can help of course, but it should be up to world leaders to do it.

Instead most of them are like ours, their focus is on making the obscenely rich even richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I haven't done much sid. As worthy as your donations are, they are a gnat's piss in the ocean to what is really needed. Individuals can help of course, but it should be up to world leaders to do it.

Instead most of them are like ours, their focus is on making the obscenely rich even richer.
    Again, you're not wrong. That's why I'm into politics because there needs to be strategic change to make a real difference. Meanwhile I want to level with myself that giving away a little bit of my money is the right thing to do. I also get feedback on most of the schemes I support, which I find rewarding.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567