+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Eastleigh FC 15.01.22 [FAT4]

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That was a very encouraging interview. My biggest doubt about Eli Sam has always been about his commitment, but his comments about training suggests I might have got him wrong. He's still something of an enigma because he's had his share of showing very little when he's had the chance, but I would love him to make me eat my words by the end of the season.
    As IB said at the start of the season, I think it's always been a case of finding the right position for Eli Sam. Everybody (me included) assumed when he arrived, and looking at the size of him, that he could play as a target man, but appearances are deceptive. He's much happier playing off somebody else and having the opportunity to come deeper and run at defenders at times. I also suspect that if he gains the confidence of having a good run of games, his finishing will get sharper, though to be fair he's bagged a few goals already. He just hasn't played that many games compared to others. Nice to hear that IB recognises his potential though. We've seen too many players leave us in the past without being given a proper opportunity, only to play their best stuff somewhere else!
    Last edited by jackal2; 15-01-2022 at 07:17 PM.

That was a very encouraging interview. My biggest doubt about Eli Sam has always been about his commitment, but his comments about training suggests I might have got him wrong. He's still something of an enigma because he's had his share of showing very little when he's had the chance, but I would love him to make me eat my words by the end of the season.
    Because Eli is such a big unit you tend to forget he's still only 24. Plenty of time to polish him up a bit, yet.

Have to disagree, and disagree strongly. Mitchell provided nothing close to what Wootton provides.
    Chesterfield got rid of him for a reason and got Tschmanga in for a reason too, some do it consistently, some don’t, does anyone think that if they hadn’t signed Tschmanga and played Mitchell he would be on the same amount of goals and assists?

I don’t for a second believe what IB said about this being the one we wanted, personally I think all our other targets had gone and we just had to fill spaces.
    Last edited by keldsyke; 15-01-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    As IB said at the start of the season, I think it's always been a case of finding the right position for Eli Sam. Everybody (me included) assumed when he arrived, and looking at the size of him, that he could play as a target man, but appearances are deceptive. He's much happier playing off somebody else and having the opportunity to come deeper and run at defenders at times. I also suspect that if he gains the confidence of having a good run of games, his finishing will get sharper, though to be fair he's bagged a few goals already. He just hasn't played that many games compared to others. Nice to hear that IB recognises his potential though. We've seen too many players leave us in the past without being given a proper opportunity, only to play their best stuff somewhere else!
    Eli played very well today and thoroughly deserved his goals. On this performance he is well ahead of Mitchell for a starting place. He has now set the standard, and he could turn out to be a very important player in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Eli played very well today and thoroughly deserved his goals. On this performance he is well ahead of Mitchell for a starting place. He has now set the standard, and he could turn out to be a very important player in the coming months.
    That’s great to read and shows the benefit of these extra cup games. Frank Vincent seized his chance due to that FA Cup replay against Tamworth, and hopefully Eli can now come good in the second half of the season - maybe as an impact sub. Going to be very interesting to see which team IB puts out against Barnet, in what is yet another must-win game given the way Chesterfield keep on racking up the wins.

I think Eli put a marker down today and has moved above Kairo in the pecking order
    It was a lovely move for the first and although it looked a simple finish, we have seen Eli miss them in the past. His second was beautifully taken and well positioned.
    He is quite a handful for defenders to play against because he doesn't do the normal things and has such good feet. If he could lift his enormous frame off of the ground for headers, we would have one heck of a player.
    He also sounds like a nice chap and it is great credit to him that he hasn't let his head drop and is working hard in training. he could be very useful to have in this second half of the season.

1st goal was a thing of beauty and a cracking finish for the second also... well done big fella... he deserves a game ahead of Mitchell in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Praise indeed. Great to read.

It feels like only yesterday he signed for us and within 6 weeks some fans wanted him gone#viva

Let's hope it's the start of something and he carries on impressing when he gets a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Chesterfield got rid of him for a reason and got Tschmanga in for a reason too, some do it consistently, some don’t, does anyone think that if they hadn’t signed Tschmanga and played Mitchell he would be on the same amount of goals and assists?

I don’t for a second believe what IB said about this being the one we wanted, personally I think all our other targets had gone and we just had to fill spaces.
    Bit harsh, we've not really seen enough of Mitchell imo, when he played full games for Chesterfield he tended to score and he scored before he was at Chesterfield, the new manager came in and he had a bit part role.

Look at Wootton before we signed him, he was a big target of Ardley's/Notts' and if you'd looked at his resume when we signed him you'd probably doubt he'd be anywhere near a 20 goal a season striker for us.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast