+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Warning About Renting Out Property.

A Warning About Renting Out Property.

My wife and her sister have been renting out their 92 year old father’s house for the last five years to help pay his more than £1000 a week care bill, he’s got severe dementia.

It’s now reached the point where his savings will run out in about a year and so the house will need to be sold.

So the tenants were served with what’s called a “Section 21 notice”, this is what you have to do legally when you want a tenant to vacate and they then have two months in which to leave.

These tenants have refused to engage with the letting agent since notice was served and have stopped paying the £1000 per month rent, they also sent an email titled “Cease and Desist” to the agent telling them not to contact them anymore or THEY would complain to the police about harassment!!😤

We have subsequently learned that they pulled this same stunt on another landlord who who they rented direct with four years ago. That landlord is due in court with these tenants at the end of January to try to recover tens of thousands of lost rental money and legal fees.

These tenants constantly bring up the fact that their late t e e n s daughter is a cancer sufferer and that “all of this stress” affects her health blah, blah, blah and that they won’t allow access for gas and electrical checks over the last two years due to her being so vulnerable.

This is the same daughter posting on FB that she’s off out with her mates to “get p I s s e d”.....😤😤😤

My father in laws needs are inconsequential, the fact it’s his house and his only viable income to keep him well looked after is a poor second.

The law on Section 21 notices is going to change this year so that landlords cannot ask people to leave their property unless there’s “fault” on behalf of the tenant, tenants will dictate as and when they leave your rental once this law changes.

I’m posting this as a warning to anyone thinking of renting out a parents house to help pay their social care bill or to anyone who’s a private landlord already or thinking of becoming one.

The power is all with tenants no matter how difficult they are to deal with.

We now face a two year or more legal battle with this scum so just be aware.

I’m now selling our own rental properties and I’m told many other landlords are doing the same by local estate agents.

Renting to private individuals, even using an estate agent, is now fraught with danger.

I managed to persuade my now 92 year old Mum not to rent out her property when she could no longer live there a few years ago because I have seen a few instances of problems such as this and others.

So glad I did because being over 150 miles away it would have been a nightmare for me if there had been any problems.

My best mate who lives in N Yorkshire has just started renting out his Mums property on the outskirts of Leeds. I did suggest he needed to be aware of the problems but each has to decide how much risk they want to take both financial as well as hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    My wife and her sister have been renting out their 92 year old father’s house for the last five years to help pay his more than £1000 a week care bill, he’s got severe dementia.

It’s now reached the point where his savings will run out in about a year and so the house will need to be sold.

So the tenants were served with what’s called a “Section 21 notice”, this is what you have to do legally when you want a tenant to vacate and they then have two months in which to leave.

These tenants have refused to engage with the letting agent since notice was served and have stopped paying the £1000 per month rent, they also sent an email titled “Cease and Desist” to the agent telling them not to contact them anymore or THEY would complain to the police about harassment!!😤

We have subsequently learned that they pulled this same stunt on another landlord who who they rented direct with four years ago. That landlord is due in court with these tenants at the end of January to try to recover tens of thousands of lost rental money and legal fees.

These tenants constantly bring up the fact that their late t e e n s daughter is a cancer sufferer and that “all of this stress” affects her health blah, blah, blah and that they won’t allow access for gas and electrical checks over the last two years due to her being so vulnerable.

This is the same daughter posting on FB that she’s off out with her mates to “get p I s s e d”.....😤😤😤

My father in laws needs are inconsequential, the fact it’s his house and his only viable income to keep him well looked after is a poor second.

The law on Section 21 notices is going to change this year so that landlords cannot ask people to leave their property unless there’s “fault” on behalf of the tenant, tenants will dictate as and when they leave your rental once this law changes.

I’m posting this as a warning to anyone thinking of renting out a parents house to help pay their social care bill or to anyone who’s a private landlord already or thinking of becoming one.

The power is all with tenants no matter how difficult they are to deal with.

We now face a two year or more legal battle with this scum so just be aware.

I’m now selling our own rental properties and I’m told many other landlords are doing the same by local estate agents.

Renting to private individuals, even using an estate agent, is now fraught with danger.

I feel for them Mick!! Sadly when someone can prove they have an illness/mental health/kids/vulnerability the courts will decide in their favour most of the time and they can keep delaying and delaying it. So wrong!

Similar situation with my daughters boyfriends parents who bought a house 3 years ago and still they can’t evict the woman there. She’s very clever and plays on her illness.

I know a guy who will do a job for 1K and it involves the knees if you want to go down this route. Personally - I would!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I feel for them Mick!! Sadly when someone can prove they have an illness/mental health/kids/vulnerability the courts will decide in their favour most of the time and they can keep delaying and delaying it. So wrong!

Similar situation with my daughters boyfriends parents who bought a house 3 years ago and still they can’t evict the woman there. She’s very clever and plays on her illness.

I know a guy who will do a job for 1K and it involves the knees if you want to go down this route. Personally - I would!
    What’s his name, Jake Livermore?

Seriously, though, it’s a horrible problem to have to deal with and the health problems of the actual house owner seem to be inconsequential in these matters. We sold our rental property a few years back and I am very glad we did; we had the same tenant for about ten years without any problems whatsoever, so when she moved and money needed to be spent on the house, we decided to sell. I’m so glad we did as we could have had trouble when Covid came along and people having to cope with employment issues.

I hope you manage to get the issue resolved, Mick.

Hi Mick, have pm'd you

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)