+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Dyche have a say in transfer dealings ?

Does Dyche have a say in transfer dealings ?

Years ago, when a club was looking to sign someone, the manager would be reliant on the reports from his right man, the chief scout. Then the manager would go along with him, to watch the player in action , before deciding whether or not to sign him. These days at Turf Moor it all seems a bit different.
    I read reports that Alan Pace was travelling to London to get the deal(s) over the line. There was no mention of SD going with him , from any angle. When Wood left to forge a new career on the banks of theTyne, it seemed that SD was surprised at the way events unfolded. We were all surprised too. As for the latest two players we are looking to sign, it appears to be all Pace’s doing. You get the impression that Dyche wouldn’t know the first thing about them, and like us,has only seen bits and pieces on You Tube. I bet he hasn’t been through the Channel Tunnel to size up the possibilities, when he should really be the first person to do so. I’d want to see them close up- wouldn’t you ?Not on a video, or hearsay. If either or both turn out like Cornet , we’ll all be chuffed to beans. Hopefully it will go the same way with any future signing.
    Reading between the lines ,it just makes you wonder ,how much, if any, control over incomings and outgoings SD actually has . Anyone else think the same way as me

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    Years ago, when a club was looking to sign someone, the manager would be reliant on the reports from his right man, the chief scout. Then the manager would go along with him, to watch the player in action , before deciding whether or not to sign him. These days at Turf Moor it all seems a bit different.
    I read reports that Alan Pace was travelling to London to get the deal(s) over the line. There was no mention of SD going with him , from any angle. When Wood left to forge a new career on the banks of theTyne, it seemed that SD was surprised at the way events unfolded. We were all surprised too. As for the latest two players we are looking to sign, it appears to be all Pace’s doing. You get the impression that Dyche wouldn’t know the first thing about them, and like us,has only seen bits and pieces on You Tube. I bet he hasn’t been through the Channel Tunnel to size up the possibilities, when he should really be the first person to do so. I’d want to see them close up- wouldn’t you ?Not on a video, or hearsay. If either or both turn out like Cornet , we’ll all be chuffed to beans. Hopefully it will go the same way with any future signing.
    Reading between the lines ,it just makes you wonder ,how much, if any, control over incomings and outgoings SD actually has . Anyone else think the same way as me
    I don’t know anymore Mal but if I was Dyche and I watched the two were supposedly linked or signing I’d be welcoming with open arms , and if we’re honest and he has nothing to do with signings at all then what is the purpose of Dyche at all.

If these two get over the line I’ll be interested to see how long it takes him to include them in the squad.

I’ve said for two seasons Dyches greatest achievement was keeping us up but if we survive this year it’s beyond belief.

I've no more idea than anyone else, and at many clubs nowadays there is a 'technical director' and recruitment team, the manager is just a coach, presented with players and told to get on with coaching them, but I would have thought Dyche was more old school and would be, at the very least, consulted on bringing players in.

I would hope Mal is wrong when he suggests the two new players are 'all Pace's doing'. I have no problem with him meeting players and their agents, persuading them to sign and tying up the deals, but if he's involved in actually scouting players and deciding who we sign and who we don't, if he thinks he can do that job, if he decides which players Sean can have, and which he can't, then we really are fecked.

Dyche talks about this board vs the previous when commenting on where they are focusing the search for new players. Saying this board is more willing to take chances on foreign players. And he was so loyal to the previous board that it is hard to believe he had no say on what players they signed, but probably he had little say where they would scout.
    My impression is that he is in on deciding what positions to strengthen and then I would guess he could object if he thought the player targeted was a real misfit... If a manager in the January window particularly are to see the player perform, shake his hand and talk football before signing. That would be impossible imo. We are operating late in the window as usual, and that puts all pressure on Pace finding and bringing the right players in... and so far he seems to be doing an excellent job. He should just have had a lot more to spend, and maybe we could be fighting for a place in Europe in a couple of years
    When Pace took over the club and all the talk about using computers to target new players, I thought it would be hard for SD to get on board with how that seem to work. Sean seems to be good at getting his players to perform in their position to the best of their abilities. How he is with managing more talented creative players is yet to be seen...

It may only be my impression but Dyche seems to be less involved in things at the club and less outspoken, as if he doesn't care what happens. Given what he's being payed in a secure contract why should he rock the boat, he's earning money most of us can only dream of and he'll probably walk into another job paying similar obscene amounts if things should go pearshaped (as do so many other "failed" managers).

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    It may only be my impression but Dyche seems to be less involved in things at the club and less outspoken, as if he doesn't care what happens. Given what he's being payed in a secure contract why should he rock the boat, he's earning money most of us can only dream of and he'll probably walk into another job paying similar obscene amounts if things should go pearshaped (as do so many other "failed" managers).
    I would hope that it is a cooperative effort that starts with identifying what SD thinks we need. The recruitment/ scouting team focus on that brief, whilst the Board indicate the level of finance available. AI is supposed to reveal hidden gems. Then there are the “jungle drums” as agents tout their clients.

It would seem that Pace does the negotiating. SD has always said that he is not involved in the players’ contracts.

SD has often commented on “irons in the fire” during the transfer windows. The problem appears to be the financial aspects and also the problem of attracting quality to the club. I am sure that there are hundreds of players out there whose career goals include playing in the PL, but aren’t good enough.

Then there are players who may have the quality or potential who also want to win trophies, leagues and so on. The latter will never come to Burnley in the PL.

All I can say it that, however we found Cornet and by whatever means - let’s have more please!

Seems dead simple to me.

We need an immediate "like for like" replacement for Wood. Tick box.

We need a bit more quality in midfield and find a player who can score goals. Tick box.

By all accounts we have two good players in and still have £5 million left to send to the Dry Powder Room.

And PLEASE do not tell me SD has not sanctioned these deals.

Pace, despite the constant sniping and criticism seems more than capable and willing to put his arse on a boat, train or plane and get these deals over the line.

What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Seems dead simple to me.

We need an immediate "like for like" replacement for Wood. Tick box.

We need a bit more quality in midfield and find a player who can score goals. Tick box.

By all accounts we have two good players in and still have £5 million left to send to the Dry Powder Room.

And PLEASE do not tell me SD has not sanctioned these deals.

Pace, despite the constant sniping and criticism seems more than capable and willing to put his arse on a boat, train or plane and get these deals over the line.

What's not to like?
    Make that one player BT and untick the box.For me he was the more important signature.A midfield talisman.If we do not strengthen in midfield we are as good as down.

It’s compounded by a few things CIB like you say we need strengthening centrally anyway but I still feel our formation shape that Dyche demands restricts the midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    It’s compounded by a few things CIB like you say we need strengthening centrally anyway but I still feel our formation shape that Dyche demands restricts the midfielders.
    Our midfield has needed strengthening for at least 4 years now yet all we looked at were defenders and goalkeepers.It is all coming home to roost Army.Dyche can only play with what he has got-and that aint much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)