+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Losing Lamie

Losing Lamie

The defender formerly known as JC is off to Dundee. Not a huge loss but given our first choice defensive pair are too injured to ever play together we need some solid backup, especially if Bevis goes too.

Also curious we've now lost three players to the city of Dundee in as many weeks - are we counting pennies again or are they overpaying?

The Courier reports that he turned down a new contract offer. Take what we can get for him.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...-window-shuts/

If you'd said this time last year we'd be offered money for Lamie...

All three departures are slightly different - we decided Watt wasn't worthy of Kelly wages to keep him, Rudden wasn't a blue chip prospect and no doubt Dundee will offer starting wages to Lamie as opposed to our back-up offer. I don't blame any of the trio for going to Dundee nor necessarily disagree with the club's decisions on them. But three is a pattern and the second half of the decision - spending our money wisely - still needs to be done. And while I welcome our broadened approach to scouting, I'm not sure journeymen from Asia and the Belgian second-tier will cut it.

With O’Connor away to QoS and Ojalaa shown to be injury prone, Lamie’s departure concerns me as he has turned from a bit of a bomb scare at the start of his ‘Well career into a pretty reliable centre half. However, if he was to be regarded as a back up and offered a wage level that reflected that, then I certainly can’t blame him for heading to Dundee where, I assume, he gets a better contract and playing time.
    I hope Bevis does not also leave as that would see us too short on known quality CBs. I’m not convinced that Jake Carroll is a centre half, but then I’m just a supporter not the manager whose ability to identify players’ capability will be better than mine.
    Let’s hope our new French and US players turn out to be hidden gems who have been wasted playing in some of the less well known football outposts. Let’s hope they are more Alex Gorrin than Esteban Casagolda.

Carroll has played three games at CB, conceding one goal at Celtic Park (a set piece where he wasn't to blame), one v Morton (where he was to blame) and a clean sheet v Hibs. I think most of us are pretty nervous with him there but his limited games so far have not been disastrous.

Agree on Mugabi, given he can also play reasonably at RB we should be making him a very solid offer to stay.

After the match spoke very warmly about the manager and club. "They've been great with me". When asked about his contract with Dundee.."there are clauses" that clearly implied an escape route in the event of a relegation at Dens. I would not be surprised to see him stay.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)