+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I watch football.

Why do I watch football.

When I first went to Turf Moor as an eight year old, back in 1954 I was amazed by the size of the stadium and the crowd.
    Into the late fifties / early sixties, BFC glory years I always expected our team to win the game which we did in the majority of games.
    In those days there was a maximum players wage which made a level playing field for most clubs, obviously some clubs enhanced a player benefits but it still remained a level playing field no matter whether the club was from a small Lancashire town to the capital city.
    Then came the money grabbers led by Jimmy Hill and the maximum wage was abolished. The small clubs were unable or unwilling to compete with the large city clubs so ended the level playing field.
    During this time, I have supported BFC from the pinnacle of winning the first division, playing in the European cup to watching us survive against Leyton Orient to retain our league status.
    As I continued to watch BFC my expectation of winning games receded rapidly but I still have a love of football.
    Now in my mid seventies I watch football mainly to be entertained.

"Now in my mid seventies I watch football mainly to be entertained."

Watching our present lot must be a huge disappointment then V_C?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    "Now in my mid seventies I watch football mainly to be entertained."

Watching our present lot must be a huge disappointment then V_C?
    Very true BT, but did not want to moan about DycheBall.

Could be worse,we could be watching Bolton.Maybe in 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Could be worse,we could be watching Bolton.Maybe in 10 years
    They smashed Sunderland 6-0 on Saturday alfie, it might not be too long before we meet the Notlobs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    When I first went to Turf Moor as an eight year old, back in 1954 I was amazed by the size of the stadium and the crowd.
    Into the late fifties / early sixties, BFC glory years I always expected our team to win the game which we did in the majority of games.
    In those days there was a maximum players wage which made a level playing field for most clubs, obviously some clubs enhanced a player benefits but it still remained a level playing field no matter whether the club was from a small Lancashire town to the capital city.
    Then came the money grabbers led by Jimmy Hill and the maximum wage was abolished. The small clubs were unable or unwilling to compete with the large city clubs so ended the level playing field.
    During this time, I have supported BFC from the pinnacle of winning the first division, playing in the European cup to watching us survive against Leyton Orient to retain our league status.
    As I continued to watch BFC my expectation of winning games receded rapidly but I still have a love of football.
    Now in my mid seventies I watch football mainly to be entertained.
    I remember Bob Lord saying at the time that removing the cap would mean the end for the small mill town clubs. Needless to the big city clubs said that Lord was wrong. It was in their best interests to remove the cap as they knew that they would benefit with success at the expense of clubs like Burnley.

It was never the same again. We had to sell our good players to stay afloat. Little has changed in that regard from selling Willie Morgan to selling Charlie Austin.

Football is entertainment first and foremost. However, it is unique in that fans invest emotionally and financially in the club, its identity and its success. That of itself does mean at times that, to quote Bill Shankly, “it is not a matter of life and death, it is more important than that.”

If we are relegated I will still support the team and, to be honest, I would prefer to seeing them winning in the Championship than struggling in the PL. Your team winning - that is entertainment!

On the 10th March 1962 Burnley FC were top of league division 1 having played 29 games and scoring 90 goals.
    Then on the day we played Sheffield United at Bramall Lane in the FA Cup 6th Round. John Connelly scored the only goal of the game, but the then manager Harry Potts, changed our style of play to we will score and then defend.
    We played our last 13 games and ended up scoring 101 goals for the season and ending the season in second place.

To me this proved that the tactic of scoring and trying to defend for the entire game does not work and I would consider the 1961/62 team far superior to that we have today. Yet our present manager Sean Dyche seems bogged down with a defensive style and it still does not work.
    Last edited by Vintage Claret; 01-02-2022 at 02:16 PM.

I first went to Turf Moor around the same time and at the same age as you VC, but I differ from you now. I watch football to see my team win, entertainment in the process is a bonus. I would much rather be bored witless and see Burnley or Clitheroe win, than see them lose in an entertaining game.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I first went to Turf Moor around the same time and at the same age as you VC, but I differ from you now. I watch football to see my team win, entertainment in the process is a bonus. I would much rather be bored witless and see Burnley or Clitheroe win, than see them lose in an entertaining game.
    The problem this season Sinkov is that Burnley are rarely winning and the entertainment value is somewhat lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    The problem this season Sinkov is that Burnley are rarely winning and the entertainment value is somewhat lacking.
    So true VC, it's a double whammy virtually every bloody game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)