+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 years ago on 2nd February 1922

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    2nd tier in Feb 1922, there was a 3rd tier by then, the 30th season of the Football League

Our record at the time Sirrel was born
    23 seasons in the top flight
    6 seasons in the 2nd tier (four of those in the 1890s with the lowest ever finish being 10th)

We would finish 13th that season but that was largely due to an FA Cup run all the way to the semi-finals, the furthest we'd been since winning it.

It all started to go wrong with the building of County Road in 1925 and a financial crisis three years later.
    My mistake, though it didn't take long to find our way to the then new bottom tier.

Is there/was there some stream than ran under the County Road stand (that maybe drained our luck into the Trent)?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    My mistake, though it didn't take long to find our way to the then new bottom tier.

Is there/was there some stream than ran under the County Road stand (that maybe drained our luck into the Trent)?
    A tributary of the River Lean I think.
    Was this our version of the fabled Money Pit of pirate treasure lore ? Thus causing the financial crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    river Lean is close. used to love kayaking through there with all the underground access to the old warehouses. wouldn't have enjoyed swimming so much

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    A tributary of the River Lean I think.
    Was this our version of the fabled Money Pit of pirate treasure lore ? Thus causing the financial crisis.
    snappers!

We poured good concrete after bad.
    No wonder the County Rd. felt like it was shaking back in the day - unstable foundations.
    Last edited by lunaspie; 02-02-2022 at 10:03 PM.

Just been trying to establish when Jimmy Sirrel made his first appearance at Meadow Lane. Leaving aside any scouting missions he might have been on, I think it must have been Saturday 30th January 1960 as trainer of Aldershot. He wouldn't have played at ML, Bradford Park Avenue got relegated to the 3rd North the season we went up as Champions of the South and his next club Brighton were stuck in the 3rd tier South throughout the 50s, as were Aldershot. He could have played a reserves match here but I'm guessing we only played Midlands clubs at reserve level.

We first came up against him as a manager on Saturday 1st April 1967 at Brentford, which must have had some feeling to it with the Dunnett-QPR merger affair only a few months earlier and Jack now a director of Notts having brought Brentford's manager, Billy Gray, with him. Brentford won 1-0.

Jimmy would also have come up against Brian Clough in 1967/68 when Brian was Hartlepool boss. Coincidentally, David Needham made his debut against Clough's Pools and ended up playing under him at Fword.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Just been trying to establish when Jimmy Sirrel made his first appearance at Meadow Lane. Leaving aside any scouting missions he might have been on, I think it must have been Saturday 30th January 1960 as trainer of Aldershot. He wouldn't have played at ML, Bradford Park Avenue got relegated to the 3rd North the season we went up as Champions of the South and his next club Brighton were stuck in the 3rd tier South throughout the 50s, as were Aldershot. He could have played a reserves match here but I'm guessing we only played Midlands clubs at reserve level.

We first came up against him as a manager on Saturday 1st April 1967 at Brentford, which must have had some feeling to it with the Dunnett-QPR merger affair only a few months earlier and Jack now a director of Notts having brought Brentford's manager, Billy Gray, with him. Brentford won 1-0.

Jimmy would also have come up against Brian Clough in 1967/68 when Brian was Hartlepool boss. Coincidentally, David Needham made his debut against Clough's Pools and ended up playing under him at Fword.
    fascinating, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12