+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burnley v Watford Match Preview

Burnley v Watford Match Preview

Strap on your steel combat helmets and get the prayer mats out! This is the clash of the armies of the desperate, damned but not yet doomed.

4800 miles away from Turf Moor in Douala, Cameroon the Elephants were being knocked out of the Africa Cup of Nations by the Pharaohs. Maxwel Cornet scored in the penalty shoot out for Ivory Coast as they lost to Egypt but that defeat has sent the wing wizard winging his way back from West Africa to face the walking wounded of Woy’s Watford. I cannot guess what has tempted the venerable Hodgson to come out of retirement to take on the mantle of the Hornet’s latest soon to be ex-manager following the expected firing of Claudio Ranieri by the Pozzo gang. Bet they wish they had stuck with the Xisco Kid.

The transfer window has closed and as far as Burnley are concerned it has been a case of One In, One Wout. Weghorst, who signed on deadline day from Wolfsburg will hopefully prove an upgrade on the wayward Wood now at Newcastle United. At 6ft 6” and with an impressive goal scoring record in the Bundesliga, the Dutch International striker will be expected with Cornet to fire the goals which could yet save the Clarets season. An improved defensive display away at Arsenal offered a glimpse of the resilience at the back which will be necessary if the Clarets are yet to fight clear of the relegation zone.

Watford will arrive at Turf Moor on the back of a crushing 0-3 home defeat to Norwich which not only brought about the sacking of Claudio Ranieri but crucially saw star striker Emmanuel Dennis sent off after receiving two yellow cards which rules him out of this match. For Burnley Josh Brownhill is suspended after totting up 5 yellows. I would not be surprised if Burnley go double Dutch for this fixture with both Weghorst and Pieters in the starting eleven.

The match referee is Craig Pawson with Chris Kavanagh on VAR. With a 6pm kick off light rain and a fresh breeze are forecast. COYC!

ps. Mrs Outwood and I will be going away for a well-deserved holiday so there will be no previews for our upcoming home games against Manchester United and Liverpool.

This is a six-pointer if I ever saw one!

It is going to be a biggie. Lose and we are staring down the barrel. That would be 19 played with 12 points. Liverpool and Man U coming up. I will await the teamsheet with bated breath. Let’s have 11 who work for 90+ minutes and don’t go awol for most of the match. Let’s have aggression and commitment.

Watford will come out fighting. Will we or will it be the usual 37% possession, soaking up the pressure. If we are going to go down I would rather we go down fighting than the usual backs against the wall stuff. We have the poorest rate of pass completion in the PL. Hopefully they will have been working on how to pass the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    It is going to be a biggie. Lose and we are staring down the barrel. That would be 19 played with 12 points. Liverpool and Man U coming up. I will await the teamsheet with bated breath. Let’s have 11 who work for 90+ minutes and don’t go awol for most of the match. Let’s have aggression and commitment.

Watford will come out fighting. Will we or will it be the usual 37% possession, soaking up the pressure. If we are going to go down I would rather we go down fighting than the usual backs against the wall stuff. We have the poorest rate of pass completion in the PL. Hopefully they will have been working on how to pass the ball.
    I predict a "Brentford" type performance with a similar result - 3 v 0 to us.

Enjoy your jollies outwood, you'll be missed, or at least your previews will

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)