+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your own standards where united should be

Your own standards where united should be

After the game i asked my 2 mates where you think united should be and what you should at least think what your watching.

I went first and i said i said what we are watching on the park is not even close to be good enough, i expect what is on offer a hell of a lot better than what we are being offered., i am not saying we should be fighting for 3rd no chance, maybe a good cup run, maybe beat a couple half decent results playing half decent football now and again.

My pal just said without a doubt we should be top 6 every season, and i said good point.

My other pal just said Scot football is fk awful , the coaching kids has been wrong for years, and i said good point.

i think it could be a good post cause every one have dif standards where we should be, i would just like to hear what others think of the standards where we should be and whats on offer, cause every one have a dif opinion than the next person.

Hope its a good post lol

We 'should' be a top six team. Whether that is right now, in our second season after being promoted, we'll I'm not sure we should be taking such a position for granted. I'd be delighted with top six, but season two, my expectation levels would maybe be closer to finishing the best of the rest, certainly with this group of players, some of whom were signed while we were in the Championship and are clearly not good enough for where we want to be.

My expectations have been low for years so first and foremost our immediate goal should be to not be in the bottom 2 then see how it goes from there.

We should never start thinking we have the divine right to be top 6 because we are the 6th biggest team in the country. That's a dangerous ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    My expectations have been low for years so first and foremost our immediate goal should be to not be in the bottom 2 then see how it goes from there.

We should never start thinking we have the divine right to be top 6 because we are the 6th biggest team in the country. That's a dangerous ideology.
    Yeah, this is how I feel too.

Started off wanting a decent manager in to get us to top 6, forget all the resetting of expectations in between, now hoping for a shot on target against either of the 2 bottom teams, but not confident of seeing it happen.

Cue the 'ah but brigade' coming out with the usual dross

First. It's why we commit half our lives and finances towards Dundee United. The hope. One day it will happen and be all worth it.

If someone said you give 5% of all your money and time to support a team towards finishing middle of an inconsequential league you would think twice.

Has my vote for a good subject for a thread! However, i dont know if i can objectively answer the question at this time.

To give it a go, my expectation is that my team recruits the right players, gives youth their chance if deemed good enough, all controlled by a management team who can coach the players to better themselves, to put players out in a formation that suits them in the position they play best. I think the players are being failed by the management team just now.

When im sitting in the GFL or sitting at home watching the games, i want to be at least entertained, to be made to feel that ive watched every man either stroll through to an entertaining win, or leave it all on the pitch to win, loose or draw. Just now i think we are being failed by the management team as soon as OA gets his leak oot!

My expectation for where we should be in the league is tempered by goings on since a dark night 7 years ago, all the way through relegation, doon 4 seasons and being on our third manager since getting back, im loath to say where we belong, but where i expect us to be.

I do think we have a squad of players who are capable of safely providing mid table mediocrity, and while they are here and i feel its not all their fault, i will stand up for them. However, if we want to consistently be a top 6 team, we need the management team to prove they can achieve that by binging through and recruiting players that can take us further. I recognise that the likes of Harkes, Sporle, Clark, McNumpty, Pawlett and possibly Niskanen are not proving their ability to take us to the next level, but my expectation tempered by what has gone before is not there yet and these players should be consistently better than at least 5 of our opponents.

I think every supporter is being short changed by the club,most of us backed United to the absolute hilt during the pandemic and allowed the club to keep season ticket money we could have used for the next campaign.We also almost to a man/woman renewed our tickets for the following season knowing fine well there was every chance of being locked out again.

All that most of us want i suspect is to be entertained,to look forward to going to the games and enjoy our football.Last night we failed to register a shot on target against a team currently bottom of the league who have shipped almost 2 goals per game and to me that is simply unacceptable.

I would not make a fuss this season if we were to finish in the bottom 6,all i'm asking for is plenty of effort and a wee bit of decent football being played now and again.At the moment i am very disillusioned with what's on offer and its doubtful i will renew my season ticket unless Tony and Tam get their fingers out and address the squad problems that have been staring them in the face for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I think every supporter is being short changed by the club,most of us backed United to the absolute hilt during the pandemic and allowed the club to keep season ticket money we could have used for the next campaign.We also almost to a man/woman renewed our tickets for the following season knowing fine well there was every chance of being locked out again.

All that most of us want i suspect is to be entertained,to look forward to going to the games and enjoy our football.Last night we failed to register a shot on target against a team currently bottom of the league who have shipped almost 2 goals per game and to me that is simply unacceptable.

I would not make a fuss this season if we were to finish in the bottom 6,all i'm asking for is plenty of effort and a wee bit of decent football being played now and again.At the moment i am very disillusioned with what's on offer and its doubtful i will renew my season ticket unless Tony and Tam get their fingers out and address the squad problems that have been staring them in the face for years now.
    I would except being mid table/bottom 6 safe from relegation if it meant we had a team willing to have a f*cki*g go. This tippy tappy sideways possession stuff is boring as f#*k and not even close to being good to watch. What happened to the performance against Hibs away? Was that just a fluke? If it continues like this till the end of the season then it’s time for Tam to go. I really want him to succeed as I thought he’d be a breath of fresh air compared to someone from the usual old boys’ club but it seems it’s no really any better. We totally pressed Rangers from start to finish in the 1-0 game but what’s happened to that style too? Tam has about 10-15 games to save his job or he surely gets punted. Shame, as it was such a promising start. “Pus-shutting champion”—mind o them days? 🤦🏻*♂️

Fighting for top 6, not thinking about relegation and minimum of 1/4 final in each cup competition.

Hopefully in a couple of years time it will be fighting for a European place, not thinking about having to fight for top 6 and minimum of 1/4 in the cups

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)