+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Steve Bruce Fickleometer.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    I'm amazed over thinking I'm being negative. I remember comments on here. I remember the anti Pulis comments who got us 10th in the Prem, I remember how great it was to have Val, a younger manager with new idea's and how great he did at Barnsley, I remember how we never have a manager who tries out the youth, and voila! Val does that. I also remember that after a poor run "He's got to go!" "What lousy football!" I take note of all of it and I know that five years ago we would have been disgusted at the board to consider a manager like Bruce. Here we are now. I am negative about this because our club is going backwards. Our club gives no manager any time to do anything. Our club then sends for old experienced managers who have proved that they can only go so far. This isn't an inspired appointment. We are now going to faff around till the end of the season.
    I agree it's a backward step to when we were tenth in the premier league, but we aren't tenth in the premier league anymore.
    The alternative to Bruce would have been giving the job to Appleton, Maresca, Morrison all of which are untested and a gamble. We can't afford to gamble the position we are in.
    The plus side is we haven't lost any time in employing a manager, and we have employed possibly the only manager capable of changing things around. We are still in a good position so it's not that he has to start rebuilding.
    If by chance he gets us up at the first attempt he will know exactly what type of players we will need to have a chance of staying there, and his name and experience would attract more quality than Ismael or any of the others I have mentioned.
    People who wanted Rafa, Lampard, Nuno etc are living in Dreamland. These are premier league managers.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I agree it's a backward step to when we were tenth in the premier league, but we aren't tenth in the premier league anymore.
    The alternative to Bruce would have been giving the job to Appleton, Maresca, Morrison all of which are untested and a gamble. We can't afford to gamble the position we are in.
    The plus side is we haven't lost any time in employing a manager, and we have employed possibly the only manager capable of changing things around. We are still in a good position so it's not that he has to start rebuilding.
    If by chance he gets us up at the first attempt he will know exactly what type of players we will need to have a chance of staying there, and his name and experience would attract more quality than Ismael or any of the others I have mentioned.
    People who wanted Rafa, Lampard, Nuno etc are living in Dreamland. These are premier league managers.

An accurate and well balanced response.

Al, Bruce! its Bruce, Its not someone to get excited about! If the change was exciting I would be with you all the way.

To be honest Boingy with the pathetic dribble that's been consistently dished up over the last three months and no change of tactics or formation - Baggie Bird could have done no worse. So yes I am excited ( not my choice ) but by the best manager available who has the experience to sort out the mess. I would put money on it - there will be a decent response.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    To be honest Boingy with the pathetic dribble that's been consistently dished up over the last three months and no change of tactics or formation - Baggie Bird could have done no worse. So yes I am excited ( not my choice ) but by the best manager available who has the experience to sort out the mess. I would put money on it - there will be a decent response.
    I think you have a point regarding player unrest at the club, I'm sure that Bruce will be a more personable person around the place.
    Just a few poor results though, and Steve gets a few of those and all the usual comments will be back.

I think you have a point regarding player unrest at the club, I'm sure that Bruce will be a more personable person around the place.
    Just a few poor results though, and Steve gets a few of those and all the usual comments will be back.

Supporters mainly want to see football - bit like Blackburn - QPR and Coventry! Name the last match that was free flowing football despite the result? Difficult to go back that far!

I want a result now that I am going to Sheffield!! Won’t cry myself to sleep though if we play decent football and give 100% but lose! That’s my point and from many who have attended away games!

Bruce may be many things but he’s not stupid and he will want the West Brom fans on his side from the word go!

Problem with many managers - they don’t listen to the majority of fans - it’s a case of my way and nothing else! Even Big Dave dug his own grave by playing out from the back bollox and places in the team for mates.

I loved Bilic but his biggest error was not being ruthless when we got promotion and staying loyal to the likes of Livermore - HRK - Austin etc which were no way premier players and Big Sam sussed that out!

Don’t get me wrong HRK is better than Hugill and Zohore but premier league? Your having a laugh!

Sometimes think managers are thick like Rooney and don’t gauge supporter feelings - the majority are hardly wrong!

Get the West Brom supporters on your side you could become a hero. The opposite is what happened to Val!

I would bet money on it Bruce gets a good reaction! In fact - I will donate 50 pounds to Acorns if it does not happen!

Not a bad shout at all, though I would have Diangana on the left to compliment Phillips on the right. For the first time in years we would then have two orthodox wingers and two orthodox strikers.
    As for the midfield I would go with Mowatt and AGH, but Livermore is a Brucie man so we might be stuck with him.
    Hopefully our players will play for an experienced manager who has played and managed at the highest level.
    It's probably the worst Albion team for years but it's still better than most in this division.
    Based on the squad I would go 4-5-1, when Dike is fit then 4-4-2 at the moment we only have 1 centre forward in Carrol who else would you play up top?

Just read that Carroll left Newcastle because he couldn't get enough games under Bruce. He wasn't a part of Bruces plans. It will be interesting to see if he gets games here. This isn't a criticism, just interesting to see what happens this time round.

Gayle couldn't get games at Newcastle either. The premier league is a different animal.

Gayle couldn't get games at Newcastle either. The premier league is a different animal.

Totally agree Des about the premier being a different animal. Biggest fault of Bilic was staying loyal to those who got promotion when it was pretty obvious players like Livermore, HRK, Austin etc were not premier players!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)